Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macintologist

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2004
My youngest kid turned three and I am figuring I will put the HomePod mini out again and let them start using it to ask it questions about how animals sound and things like that.

The problem I am running into is they can ask Siri to play pretty much any music or if Siri misunderstands them it will start playing some horrible pop or rap music that I don’t want them listening to at home.

Ideally, I could make it so the HomePod only plays music from my Apple Music library, or from my playlists, but does not just randomly play music from the entire Apple Music collection.

If that’s not possible I could just disable Apple Music on the HomePod and the only way to play music is from an iOS device.

Does anyone have suggestions or ideas on how to limit the content that HomePod can access for young children?

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Disable the HomePod from listening for “Siri/Hey Siri” and invoke only via pressing the top. You can also limit explicit lyrics in settings. You either give them pretty much wholesale access or none at all.

But honestly I think you have more important things to worry about with kids than listening to music you deem horrible.

macintologist

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2004
Disable the HomePod from listening for “Siri/Hey Siri” and invoke only via pressing the top. You can also limit explicit lyrics in settings. You either give them pretty much wholesale access or none at all.

But honestly I think you have more important things to worry about with kids than listening to music you deem horrible.
I fully expect they will listen to whatever they want with their friends at school. I just don’t want them playing it at home. Or to listen to something and then be a negative influence at school. I like setting up playlists and having them listen to those. When I was young I had a few CDs I listened to and that was it. My kids should have a similar experience of only having access to a limited curated collection of music. Maybe smart speakers is a bad idea then.

• Sad
Reactions: venom600
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.