Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mparkes

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
Spangle, WA
I am receiving a MBP (previous gen 2.16mhz refurb) and mistakenly ordered a glossy screen (LONG story). The only glossy screened macbooks I have seen in person are the regular macbooks and I wasn't too impressed with the color rendering. Maybe the MBP's are better? ANyway, just curious if any web designers out there are using succesfully the glossy. thanks.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I am. I've not had a problem with it and I prefer it to my matte screens now. However, this appears to be a very subjective things, and pople either love the glossy or hate it. Environment and lighting in the places you'll be using your MBP are also going to have an effect.

mparkes

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
Spangle, WA
Did you have to play around a lot with the color profiles to get it look closer to the hues you'd see on a matte? The macbook I looked at the reds were a lot hotter than what a matte would show.

It is also interesting to note that if the general trend is moving towards the glossy screens that it might make more sense to design within that environment. But I may just be trying to rationalize this :D

I am. I've not had a problem with it and I prefer it to my matte screens now. However, this appears to be a very subjective things, and pople either love the glossy or hate it. Environment and lighting in the places you'll be using your MBP are also going to have an effect.

JimmyDThing

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
I really think the quality you get from the glossy screen is extremely dependent upon the lighting. I was worried about my glossy screen after going to my local apple store... but the lighting in there is so intense. But since I've had mine, I've had no issues.... it seems fine to me.

Even though I would prefer a matte, I'm happy with my glossy.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
I'm of the impression that for web design, the difference between matte and glossy isn't as big of a deal as the colors don't necessarily need to be precisely calibrated. However, for film and especially photography/print, where the created medium is not the same as the finished medium, calibration is much more important.

So basically,

PC to PC viewing (web pages, pictures, etc)- calibration not as important
PC to print - colors will be off unless calibrated
PC to film (TV shows, DVD's etc) - colors will be off unless calibrated

Additionally, for web pages especially, sticking to the "web-safe" colors will do more for ensuring proper rendering than, say, monitor calibration or monitor finish (glossy vs. matte).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.