Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Russiaone

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
I have the Mi Mix 3.

Not really using it anymore as I've jumped ship, but it's a great phone; I love the full screen display, by way of the awesome slider mechanism.

Speakers are awful, though.

And the phone is widevine L3, which means no HD on Netflix and the like.

The pros outweigh the cons, though.

Phone is beautiful and feels great to hold.

And using it as a fidget device comes in handy, too.

Reactions: ramram55

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Interested in Xiaomi phones ? which model to choose? Thanks.
What's your budget and where are you located? Xiaomi releases different models in different regions.

The general consensus are:
Best flagship: Redmi K20 Pro
Best mid-range: Redmi Note 7
If you prefer stock Android: the newly released Mi A3

I myself have the Mi A1, their first Android One phone. Not my regular driver anymore, but it has great build quality. I have previously used Mi Max, Redmi 2, and Redmi 1S.

Last edited:

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Redmi note 7 sounds like the one to go with. In US very limited choice for Xiaomi.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Redmi note 7 sounds like the one to go with. In US very limited choice for Xiaomi.
TBH, I wouldn't bother importing a Xiaomi. Not only it will be more expensive than necessary, you'll get no warranty. Plus the mid-range and lower handset probably won't support US LTE bands. Then there's the need to watch for handsets running fake ROMs (basically Chinese models injected with fake ROMs that are usually filled with malware). For US, maybe look at Motorola phones for cheap decent phones. Not as exciting, but at least you'll get some support and warranty.

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks. My daily driver is Samsung Note 9. Only using other brand phone for backup. Right now I can get by with Huawei Mate 10 pro.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Keep an eye on the new camera sensors they've developed with Samsung. You may be able to get true DSLR quality later in the year. There's articles over on Android Central about it but I can't link to them here because they're part of several articles running together.

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Keep an eye on the new camera sensors they've developed with Samsung. You may be able to get true DSLR quality later in the year. There's articles over on Android Central about it but I can't link to them here because they're part of several articles running together.
Thanks. I read about it.

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks. I am using Mi Max 3 as a backup phone, large screen, battery and good value, almost like mini IPad.

verito81

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2018
i owned a Xiaomi redmi 6 and it was an amazing phone but one thing that made me sell it was that the notifications sometimes didn’t sound !! Ahhh that was so annoying! that is a huge bug for me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.