Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
I can’t for the life of me see why anyone would want their 8 Plus back, unless there’s some extreme aversion to Touch ID or something. The Max is basically the same size with a much bigger screen. What does the 8 Plus offer that the Max doesn’t?

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
It’s seems heavy
Indeed, the Max is heavy, the heaviest iPhone ever made. But the 8 Plus isn't far behind, 202 grams vs 208 grams. I would say the difference is negligible and unnoticeable.

But both of them are heavy phones, no question about that.

Ilikechainrestaurants

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
In my opinion TouchID was always inferior to Android fingerprint sensors, so I'm happy to be rid of it.

The only things better about the 8+ for me were being able to unlock from distance (table, car mount, etc.) and it being slightly easier to access everything. Pulling down notifications is a bit awkward but I suspect I'll adjust quickly. Whether or not it'll really annoy me that I have to pick up the phone to unlock will take longer to figure out.

Ortiz83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2018
Do I want the iPhone 8 Plus back? Heck no!!! I never even had it. Went straight for the iPhone X. Now with the Max, I don’t want anything other phone back. Best phone I ever had. I must have gotten a perfect built Max because I’m getting greater reception in areas I never had good reception, my screen looks beautiful. My camera is legit and looks fantastic. No errors on my iPhone. Just love it.

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Cant wait for the trade-in kit to arrive so I can send my 8+ on to a better place. XS Max is here to stay.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
I haven’t made a move yet on the upgrade but 8+ user here.

FID:
Wife has had FID for a year with her X (which she loves.. upgraded from 6S+) and she loathes FID. For her it works less than half the time. I see her input her code all the time. On the other hand, this weekend I was caught in a rainstorm with my wife at an airport in Dallas (we are in Jax) and I could not answer or access my phone because TID and the screen would not recognize my fingers. I have since setup Hey Siri. I was able to use my Apple Watch to text her. It did make me think. TID is faster IMO.

XSM:
YUUGE.. and king of video. Outside of video, IMO, there isn’t THAT much difference in it versus the 8+ or X for that matter. You get some more text on the screen (more than 8+ and X) but how hard is scrolling. Battery life will be about on-par with 8+ IMO. Apps like Radar Scopea and Sky Guide will be amazing on the XSM. However, in basic non-video use.. the gap between the XSM and 8+ isnt’ that wide.

If you are into photography...
The new iPhones have an amazing camera but so does the 8+ and iOS 12 has brought improvements, even if not adverstised, IMO. When it comes to photo editing on a phone (maybe not many people do this.. I do it a LOT) the 8+ is KING. Go to an Apple store, pull up a landscape image on the XS, XSM and an 8+ and look how much more workable are of an image you get. I was very surprised. I personally load a lot of images from my real cameras onto my phone for editing.

Basically, I am on the backside of this issue. When I look at the XS and XSM I wonder if it is worth the upgrade from my 8+. From everything I have ‘analyzed’ the XSM isn’t worth it, for me. I lose photo edting space and gain screen for a few apps and videos that I don’t watch that much. The XS on the other hand gets me to a smaller profile, which I have been wanting but costs me photo editing space/size. In the end, do I want a smaller profile phone and would I be OK moving my photo editing to my IPP.

I have to admit that there is a part of me that wants to get the XSM just because it’s so honkin’ big and that screen.. that glorious big@$$ screen. It’s tempting for sure. My pinkie, however, is on my other shoulder saying nah.
[doublepost=1537798617][/doublepost]I should add that swiping up to close applications is awesome. The interactions with the X line is WAY better than the home button IMO.

tripleburst

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2018
Still find myself reaching for the home button every once in a while but other than that, I'm happy I made the jump to the Max (still hate the "Max" name though :))

I'm the opposite now. I keep swiping up on my old iPad air instead of hitting the home button. Nope I don't miss my 8+.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
I can’t for the life of me see why anyone would want their 8 Plus back, unless there’s some extreme aversion to Touch ID or something. The Max is basically the same size with a much bigger screen. What does the 8 Plus offer that the Max doesn’t?

While I really like Face ID on my Max, TouchID works better in certain situations (like the OP said, when it’s on your desk or you’re in bed laying down).

I’ve also noticed that not having the chin has been an adjustment from a gaming perspective. On-screen controls are closer to the edge of the phone so it takes some getting used to.

Some people hate the notch. I used to, but I’m over it now (although I do kind of miss having a battery % indicator). Some people haven’t gotten to that point yet.

Control center is REALLY tough to get to on the Max one-handed. Even with reachability enabled, getting to that too right corner is a stretch. This of course wasn’t an issue on the 8+

The Max has a legitimate shot at being my favorite phone ever, but it’s not perfect. No phone is.

Last edited:

hinesmj

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2015
New York
I am gonna stick with the Xs Max for a few days and not make a snap decision.

I always want to have the best, latest phone but in honesty iPhone in recent years have been so good it’s hard for most people to justify change.

That's where I am. I love having the newest and best, but at what would have been $1250, I just couldn't see the need to upgrade my 8+. I love it and I'm definitely going to upgrade next year, but there just wasn't enough for me to justify increase in cost for me.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Disable True Tone if you don’t like it. I have, simple. Seems to turn the screen more yellow vs TT on my 8 plus and iPad 10.5. With it off the screen is a nice cool white on my Max.

Its not true tone. Unfortunately some of the Max's have a screen issue. Mine has a yellow tint with true tone and night shift off. I've ordered another one and hopefully it doesn't have this issue. If it does, I'll just deal with it I guess.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
My Face ID is so fast it is practically instant. Much faster than Touch ID. Maybe rescan your face?

iphone1027

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
nobody here has the reception issues that are being talked about on another thread?
I don’t. Actually my reception was 0-1 bar at my house and now I have slightly better reception to a solid 2 bars. Not a huge improvement but it’s better, not worse.
[doublepost=1537807832][/doublepost]
While I really like Face ID on my Max, TouchID works better in certain situations (like the OP said, when it’s on your desk or you’re in bed laying down).

I’ve also noticed that not having the chin has been an adjustment from a gaming perspective. On-screen controls are closer to the edge of the phone so it takes some getting used to.

Some people hate the notch. I used to, but I’m over it now (although I do kind of miss having a battery % indicator). Some people haven’t gotten to that point yet.

Control center is REALLY tough to get to on the Max one-handed. Even with reachability enabled, getting to that too right corner is a stretch. This of course wasn’t an issue on the 8+

The Max has a legitimate shot at being my favorite phone, but it’s not perfect. No phone is.
I used to be a notch hater, but about 4 months ago I saw a co-workers X and I asked him if he got “used to” the notch. He said after about a week he didn’t even notice it. I also liked the OLED display, although Apple’s LCD is great I prefer the OLED.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Well I returned mine. It was beautiful and I loved it, but I adjusted the screen every which way I could and it gave me a horrible headache to look at.

Thinking of MAYBE going XR

7 cats and lots of chickens. I guess they leave them alone :D

Last edited:
Reactions: ssledoux
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.