Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sgentile92

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2015
I installed a flashed NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 in my Mac Pro 2009 (flashed to 5,1) to power my 4K display. I have the most up to date NVIDIA Web Driver available for OS 10.11.3 (web driver is 346.03.05f02). The card works fine except Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign (all the latest versions) crash about every 15 or so minutes. Has anybody else had this problem or know what the issue could be? I also noticed that Illustrator seems to stop crashing if I disable the "GPU Performance" option, however this makes illustrator unusably slow.

I would appreciate any help I can get on this. I'm a graphic designer so I'm using these programs all the time but its become a real struggle.

Christian Schumacher

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2015
It seems that there are many issues with Adobe CC, Nvidia and El Capitan updates

Many blogs, forums, etc reporting this ( my reference is Adobe AE / PR though )

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
there are problems with GTX 9XX cards and adobe apps, use a GTX6XX or GTX7XX card or something from ati.

i think if you want it to work you have to disable openCL (or was it openGL), adobe did one patch that just blocked metal from ruining on the cards.

i think thats correct from what i have read, always best to double check.
adobe dose provide support with CC so worth asking them to.

if you google it there's a few hit's seems you need to disable openCL in all the apps that crash in there prefes http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/308903-opencl-gtx970-problem/

lol just noticed in the similar threads section https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/latest-nvidia-webdriver-issue-with-adobe-cc.1983817/

Last edited:

Christian Schumacher

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2015
When running Adobe software, Apple OS updates shouldn't be something you'd strive for. Just stay a little behind, for instance I'm running Adobe CC with OS X 10.10.5 - Yosemite

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
NVIDIA tends to only fix issues for the latest release though, so perhaps you want to try 10.12 and the corresponding web driver. There have been plenty of reports of issues with FCPX and the Adobe apps that went away with later 10.11 releases and then 10.12. In short, if you're using 10.11 make sure you're on the latest version available, don't stick with 10.11.3 because any issues will never get fixed.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
The web driver only has beta support for Maxwell. You can update all other software just fine. If any salesman recommended the use of Maxwell cards on a Mac for professional use, demand a refund from them. Pros should not be using unofficial unlicensed products running beta quality drivers.

Last edited:

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
I installed a flashed NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 in my Mac Pro 2009 (flashed to 5,1) to power my 4K display. I have the most up to date NVIDIA Web Driver available for OS 10.11.3 (web driver is 346.03.05f02). The card works fine except Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign (all the latest versions) crash about every 15 or so minutes. Has anybody else had this problem or know what the issue could be? I also noticed that Illustrator seems to stop crashing if I disable the "GPU Performance" option, however this makes illustrator unusably slow.

I would appreciate any help I can get on this. I'm a graphic designer so I'm using these programs all the time but its become a real struggle.

I have a 980 GTX and no problems with CS6, since I have uninstalled the CUDA driver. Before the uninstall, the computer has crashed frequently.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.