Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Just curious to see if anybody else is doing the same.

I’ll leave my defaults here incase you want to check them out.

Email: Proton Mail
Notes: Bear
Calendar: Fantastical
Weather: Dark Sky

These are the 4 most useful ones I have found for me. I know a lot of people like google photo in favour of Photos, but that’s definitely not to my liking. I think Maps is good enough to stand on its own now and the Music App, if subscribed to Apple Music is pretty much your only option lol.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Without the ability to change actual default app, I see no point switching to a different app, such as browser, as links will still be opened from safari anyway.

Haven’t seen any problems with the one I use, except for email links in Twitter not working due to having Apple Mail deleted.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Also a Fantastical user. Love that Reminders and Calendar is in one app, not hopping between them, and uses stock Apple databases for syncing.

Guessing everyone has Google Maps and use it at some level.

MS Office instead of Pages/Numbers.

An old app I have, Paperless, is a nice list app vs using Reminder's terrible design as a list app. Ditto Notes and their list (more a Word like list vs list to pull up and easily add/remove items after completed).

mSecure as main password and private data/keys manager vs partial solution that iCloud Keychain provides. Also syncs with Mac.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
I use all the default apps EXCEPT for the Music app. I use Spotify instead. (If tHAT Eve counts)

Aftermath747

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2015
Also a Fantastical user. Love that Reminders and Calendar is in one app, not hopping between them, and uses stock Apple databases for syncing.

Guessing everyone has Google Maps and use it at some level.

MS Office instead of Pages/Numbers.

An old app I have, Paperless, is a nice list app vs using Reminder's terrible design as a list app. Ditto Notes and their list (more a Word like list vs list to pull up and easily add/remove items after completed).

mSecure as main password and private data/keys manager vs partial solution that iCloud Keychain provides. Also syncs with Mac.
I don’t have Google Maps. I use Apple Maps exclusively with no issues. I have every first-party app as my default. They work well for me.

Reactions: FFR

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
I use Dark Sky and like what it brings.
Sometimes I use Pro Camera in place of the stock camera app.

I just checked on Fantastical. I’d love for calendar and reminders to be "merged", but there’s no way I’m paying for separate apps for the iPad and iPhone. Is there a desktop version also? That would be critical so all devices would be connected.
Right now I just put my "reminders" in the calendar.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
I use Dark Sky and like what it brings.
Sometimes I use Pro Camera in place of the stock camera app.

I just checked on Fantastical. I’d love for calendar and reminders to be "merged", but there’s no way I’m paying for separate apps for the iPad and iPhone. Is there a desktop version also? That would be critical so all devices would be connected.
Right now I just put my "reminders" in the calendar.

There is for Mac yes.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
oh yes.....i would have left the computing world years ago if i could not do that!
my ipod nano g4 has not seen itunes since last august when itunes deemed the device "old" and cursed it with a red arrow on th ecreen. as i type im listening to music with the ipod crystal clear!
Windows is easier to default whereas the ipad is the worst.
all the programs defaulted on the MBair are 3rd party and after I send my last@me mail soon, that goes as well!

Squillace

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2016
Switzerland
I just use Meteo Suisse for the weather here in Switzerland because it's far more accurate than the default iOS app.
In fact, I think Apple should "sign" some protocol or arrangement or deal with local forecast/weather entities around the world to provide more accurate weather previsions.

For everything else I use the default apps. I'm not a heavy user of e-mail, notes, calendars or stuff like that, so the default ones do the job for me.

Phogro

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2015
Boston, MA
I've done some of what you've done...

Weather -> Hello Weather for primary interface and radar Dark Sky for precipitation alerts.
Reminders -> Things 3 for personal use, still use Reminders with my wife for shared lists
Mail -> Outlook
Notes -> Bear
Calendar -> Used Fantastical for a while, but I've migrated back to Apple Calendar for the time being.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
Yep

Reminders: Things
Phone app: Cardhop
Podcasts: Overcast
Calculator: Calcbot
Notes: Bear
Mail: Spark
Weather: Carrot weather

alembic

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2005
Camera: Camera+
Music: Ecoute
Calculator: GO-25 SciRPN
Map: Google Map

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
Google Maps as it's better than Apple Maps here in the UK.
Google Photos until Apple improve iCloud photos, especially removing the number of photos restriction in sharing.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Camera: Camera+
Music: Ecoute
Calculator: GO-25 SciRPN
Map: Google Map

Does ecoute work with Apple music? So if I'm a subs river and I add tracks to library do they show up?

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
Mail: Airmail
Calendar: BusyCal
Weather: Accuweather
Music: Spotify

Currently evaluating Google maps as a replacement for Apple maps. I've always been a fan of Apple maps, but on a recent trip 6 hour trip Google had the shorter, preferable route and Apple didn't even list it as an alternative.

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
I wished we could set our default apps in iOS.

Mail: Outlook
Calendar: Outlook
Calculator: Calzy
Weather: Pflotsh Storm, Pflotsh Super HD, Pflotsh ECMWF

eyefoniac

macrumors demi-god
Nov 21, 2008
Everywhere and nowhere
Mail: Newton (tried spark but had constant issues)
Calendar*: mostly stock but am trying Newton Calendar
Notes/Reminders: Agenda (one of my favorite apps)
Weather: Dark Sky
News: WSJ/NYT/Google News

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
Mail: Edison
Maps: Google Maps
Weather: Carrot Weather
Podcast: The Podcast App
Music: Spotify

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
Weather: Carrot Weather
Camera: Pro Camera, and sometimes the default Camera app.

Other than those, I use the defaults. I'm not a 'power' user.

ejb190

macrumors 65816
Due to work, I have tried about every weather app known to man. Very few apps display hourly predicted wind speeds, so I end up back at weather.gov on my desktop when I can.

Apple maps has improved. A few years back it was almost unusable. Now I'd say it's a close second to Google Maps. It might sound crazy, but on occasion I've used Zillow for navigation when the addresses on the maps apps haven't been accurate enough!

One of these days, I'm going to get Outlook to work with our server! Calendar/Mail is passable.

I wish Calculator was on the iPad. I haven't found a third party app that's better for what I need.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Just curious to see if anybody else is doing the same.

Pages > Word
Preview > Adobe Acrobat DC
Mail > Outlook
Numbers > Excel
Keynote = Awesome !
Time Machine > Carbon Copy Cloner
Safari > Firefox
Notes > One Note
QuickTime > VLC
Siri > Alexa
iTunes manage and play music = awesome!
Apple Music (Streaming)> Amazon Music

Reactions: eyefoniac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.