Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
I have an IPhone 15 Pro. But after I got rid of my iPhone 14 Pro I got an iPhone 11 brand new very cheap. I now find it useful as my iPhone battery very rarely lasts a full day. I also ditched my iPod as they are no longer in production and the battery was poor on it. It now means I use my iPad much less. Also my second phone I turned off health data as it thinks I do very few steps as it’s actually a spare phone now. I tried a spare Google pixel and hated Android.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Do I have two (i)Phones? Hmmmmmm… 🤔

I have: Sanyo Katana, HTC Touch Pro, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s Plus, Google Pixel 3a XL and iPhone 11 Pro Max. From 2007 to 2021. Although a few were never used as my primary phone.

iPhone 11PM is my current primary phone, the 6s Plus is my secondary phone (I have a separate line for it) and I use my 6 Plus primarily at my desk (I work from home).

I also have an iPad 6th Gen. Do not ask me how many Macs/PCs I have, nor how many monitors are connected to my MacPro. ;)

xboxbml

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2015
Do I have two (i)Phones? Hmmmmmm… 🤔

I have: Sanyo Katana, HTC Touch Pro, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s Plus, Google Pixel 3a XL and iPhone 11 Pro Max. From 2007 to 2021. Although a few were never used as my primary phone.

iPhone 11PM is my current primary phone, the 6s Plus is my secondary phone (I have a separate line for it) and I use my 6 Plus primarily at my desk (I work from home).

I also have an iPad 6th Gen. Do not ask me how many Macs/PCs I have, nor how many monitors are connected to my MacPro. ;)
lol... I've only got 3GS-5-6s+-13promax. and the 6s+ still works well. I'm hanging onto it as a spare..

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I have two 15 pro max models, black titanium and blue titanium. I carry both with me as I use them primarily for the camera. Saturday evening, one was taking a Timelapse and the other was taking long exposure still shots. I don’t need two iPhones, I just like having two for the cameras so I’ll keep using two.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
I have an SE 2022 company-issued iPhone in addition to my 13 Pro.

maverick786us

macrumors regular
May 30, 2012
Columbus, GA
I have two 15 pro max models, black titanium and blue titanium. I carry both with me as I use them primarily for the camera. Saturday evening, one was taking a Timelapse and the other was taking long exposure still shots. I don’t need two iPhones, I just like having two for the cameras so I’ll keep using two.
You give me inspiration. I have 15 Pro Max as my primary smartphone, I capture a lot of videos with it by attaching it in my Insta360 flow, so I realize that I need a secondary smartphone when my primary phone is busy taking video (even if its not capturing any video I keep it attached to the gimbal until the event is over).

For secondary smartphones I was considering , base variant of iPhone 15, Pixel 8 Pro or iPhone 14 Pro. But now I think a an iPhone 15 Pro base variant will be a good option. I love Titanium blue color in my iPhone 15 PM. If I buy 15 Pro as a secondary smartphone I will go for Natural Titanium, so that I can enjoy the taste of both the colors.

Though I still have my old iPhone 6s Plus, in my drawer. But I don't use it anymore. Its a vintage device

Last edited:

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
You give me inspiration. I have 15 Pro Max as my primary smartphone, I capture a lot of videos with it by attaching it in my Insta360 flow, so I realize that I need a secondary smartphone when my primary phone is busy taking video (even if its not capturing any video I keep it attached to the gimbal until the event is over).

For secondary smartphones I was considering , base variant of iPhone 15, Pixel 8 Pro or iPhone 14 Pro. But now I think a an iPhone 15 Pro base variant will be a good option. I love Titanium blue color in my iPhone 15 PM. If I buy 15 Pro as a secondary smartphone I will go for Natural Titanium, so that I can enjoy the taste of both the colors.

Though I still have my old iPhone 6s Plus, in my drawer. But I don't use it anymore. Its a vintage device

The reason why I have two identical iPhones is because all of the features are exactly the same, the cameras are the same. I’ve tried it before with using an older iPhone, but I ended up favoring one and neglecting the other. For me, that’s why it’s important for me to have both of them identical so that there’s no quality Loss and I won’t favor the new one over the old one and use the new one exclusively because that’s exactly what would and did happen. So hopefully you’ll get identical phones as well because that really helps with shooting your content. Especially now that you can attach an external SSD drive to the iPhone 15 Pro/Pro, Max, that is pretty significant.

Reactions: maverick786us

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I have an IPhone 15 Pro. But after I got rid of my iPhone 14 Pro I got an iPhone 11 brand new very cheap. I now find it useful as my iPhone battery very rarely lasts a full day. I also ditched my iPod as they are no longer in production and the battery was poor on it. It now means I use my iPad much less. Also my second phone I turned off health data as it thinks I do very few steps as it’s actually a spare phone now. I tried a spare Google pixel and hated Android.
If your concern is battery life, why don't you get an external battery and carry it with you?

Reactions: xxFoxtail

Chuckles55

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2023
Mississippi
I have a SE2022 that I'm currently using and a Iphone 11 that I bought used earlier this year. When I went on vacation last month I took both of them because I wanted to try the photographic styles on the SE but I also wanted the night mode and ultra wide mode on the 11. If only Apple could come up with some kind of LCD phone with 5G and a larger screen, maybe call it a SE4 or something. ;)

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
I’m using a 15 Pro Max as my primary phone but i’ve got a backup iPhone 12 with another SIM that I take with me during my travels, along side my primary phone. Rarely using the 12 when i’m not traveling or camping.

georgeram

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2023
I was using the Apple Battery Pack with my 12 mini, got me through the day just fine.
Can you use that with the iphone 13 mini? I read online you can? It is expensive it seems online. I'm confused with this but is this like a powerbank? Or is it just a charger you use to connect it to a wall outlet? Or it's like a powerbank where you put power to it where you can use the power backup later on if you have no electricity or access to an outlet?

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
Can you use that with the iphone 13 mini? I read online you can? It is expensive it seems online. I'm confused with this but is this like a powerbank? Or is it just a charger you use to connect it to a wall outlet? Or it's like a powerbank where you put power to it where you can use the power backup later on if you have no electricity or access to an outlet?
Yes, it will work with the 13 mini. It can act like a regular charger you connect to the wall outlet, and it is also a power bank for when you're out and about or don't have access to any other chargers or outlets, etc. At night, I was charging both this battery pack and my iPhone at the same time with one charging cable.

It magnetically attaches to the back of the iPhone. I always put it on my 12 mini first thing in the morning, so it will deplete the battery pack's battery life first, then the iPhone's. I found that putting it on later in the day when my battery iPhone is lower would charge my iPhone as it should, but it would also heat it up quite a bit.

Apple's is sort of expensive, and they also discontinued it. But, is still available on Amazon and probably other stores. There's plenty of third party options that I personally haven't tried, but they're usually a lot cheaper and offer more battery power.

georgeram

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2023
Yes, it will work with the 13 mini. It can act like a regular charger you connect to the wall outlet, and it is also a power bank for when you're out and about or don't have access to any other chargers or outlets, etc. At night, I was charging both this battery pack and my iPhone at the same time with one charging cable.

It magnetically attaches to the back of the iPhone. I always put it on my 12 mini first thing in the morning, so it will deplete the battery pack's battery life first, then the iPhone's. I found that putting it on later in the day when my battery iPhone is lower would charge my iPhone as it should, but it would also heat it up quite a bit.

Apple's is sort of expensive, and they also discontinued it. But, is still available on Amazon and probably other stores. There's plenty of third party options that I personally haven't tried, but they're usually a lot cheaper and offer more battery power.
Okay so if it acts like a regular charger connecting to the wall outlet, why would getting this be necessary? Is it fast charging? I already have the apple charging cable that came with the iphone 13 mini a while back and have the 20W fast charger.

Okay so it acts as a powerbank as well. That to me is important. How much mah does it have? Does it have at least 5000mah? I was surprised a cable like this cost at least 80 dollars and thought it has to be at least a powerbank otherwise it wouldn't make sense.

Is there a reason you use this mainly? It's mainly a powerbank for you right? Otherwise if you connect to the wall outlet... isn't just the regular 5 or 10w charger fine or the 20w fast charger more than enough? Or you buy this so you didn't need to buy the 20w fast charger? I always heard of these expensive magsafe chargers and always wondered what was the point of these.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
Okay so if it acts like a regular charger connecting to the wall outlet, why would getting this be necessary? Is it fast charging? I already have the apple charging cable that came with the iphone 13 mini a while back and have the 20W fast charger.

Okay so it acts as a powerbank as well. That to me is important. How much mah does it have? Does it have at least 5000mah? I was surprised a cable like this cost at least 80 dollars and thought it has to be at least a powerbank otherwise it wouldn't make sense.

Is there a reason you use this mainly? It's mainly a powerbank for you right? Otherwise if you connect to the wall outlet... isn't just the regular 5 or 10w charger fine or the 20w fast charger more than enough? Or you buy this so you didn't need to buy the 20w fast charger? I always heard of these expensive magsafe chargers and always wondered what was the point of these.
Yeah, if you were going to use it just as a regular charger, you probably wouldn’t want to spend the extra money on it.

The benefit is using it as a power bank. Think of it mainly as just a second battery for your phone.

Here’s the spec on the Apple battery pack -
The MagSafe Battery Pack has a 1,460mAh capacity at 7.62V. This translates to roughly 2,920mAh since the iPhone has a 3.81V rating.

georgeram

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2023
Yeah, if you were going to use it just as a regular charger, you probably wouldn’t want to spend the extra money on it.

The benefit is using it as a power bank. Think of it mainly as just a second battery for your phone.

Here’s the spec on the Apple battery pack -
Well the thing is if you buy an iphone, it doesn't even come with a charger anymore so you have to buy a 5w or 10w charger at least if you don't have one. You could also buy the faster 20w one.

The thing is you already have a 5w or 10w or 20w charger right but you got this as a powerbank? Well magsafe battery pack has less than 3000 mah and cost 80 dollars... yet you could find powerbanks that offer 5000 mah for around 15 dollars? I mean there seem to be powerbanks thats are like 25000 mah and it only cost 35 dollars or so.

So this is just vastly overpriced then? But the reason is because... it's apple? Or because it's safer since it's apple? Then again anker powerbanks offer much more in battery backup for much less than 80 dollars.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I have a 15 Pro as my main phone, a Mini 12 for dog walking or other times when a small phone is preferable to carry and a new Mini 13 put away for future use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.