Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
Wanting to put more HDs in my G5 and saw the G5 Jive from Sonnet but was wondering if it constricted air flow in the case since it sits in front of the 2 cpu intake fans. Anybody got one of these? Does it make the temps go up? Fans rev louder?

Thanks.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I wouldn't put that thing in front of my fans.

FW800 is just about as quick as an SATA HDD - close enough anyway.

If you can hide it away (noisy) the 1TB Lacie is going for 799.00 these days...

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
also remember that with a simple pci card, you can have external SATA ports, of which there are any number of external drives, or drive bays to plug in, and the performance of that would be no different then SATA inside your case. I would recommend that or a FW800 drive over blocking your fans.

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
Blocking the fans was my biggest fear but I am dying for HD space and already have 3 external drives so I ordered the Jive. When I install it I will give a report on fan speeds and heat. I do video work and have filled up 1.5tb already, need another TB and this is the cheapest solution. Besides I have like 14 power adapters plugged into my outlet already and getting more external drives would make it alot worse. NEED INTERNAL STORAGE.

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
i'd check out some stuff here before blocking your fans:

http://www.cooldrives.com/usb20cdrwdvd.html

they have fw/usb/sata enclosures that can hold 1, 2, 4, 5, or even 8 drives, all on 1 power supply, and most have the ability to do a RAID...

you could just pop all your external drives out of their enclosures, throw them in one of those, and maybe put a few more in.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
From a review from a different, but similar, product
Heat: Adding additional drives internally to the PowerMac G5 using the G5 Drive Bracket did not noticeably cause the fans in the G5 to run more often, but I was able to record an increase in temperature of 4-5 degrees in the CPU A and B sensor readings using ThermographX. While I did not see a problem with running two additional drives from a temperature basis, I would install ThermographX and make sure temperatures stay within reasonable levels in the CPU areas, especially if I was running a three drive configuration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.