Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imeth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2011
I lost my 64GB 4S, so I went to an ATT store today.. the manager said he can let me upgrade early for the 4S but will only take $250 from it's regular full price.. I'm looking at $649.99+... he can't really help me there but he got me a full upgrade with a samsung s3 for $199.99.. so here is my first android for now, here it goes.

rican

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2008
Party in the USA
I lost my 64GB 4S, so I went to an ATT store today.. the manager said he can let me upgrade early for the 4S but will only take $250 from it's regular full price.. I'm looking at $649.99+... he can't really help me there but he got me a full upgrade with a samsung s3 for $199.99.. so here is my first android for now, here it goes.

Quite frankly, I will be jumping ship to the SG3 if the iPhone is longer and has nearly the same specs. I'm needing something "More."

But good luck with your android -- give us some details as to how it feels being an iPhone user switching android... Many of us would like to know different perspectives. Fill us in.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009

Hope you like it. I have been enjoying mine, but I didn't spend much time comparing it mentally to iPhone, I just took it as being a new system for me.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Quite frankly, I will be jumping ship to the SG3 if the iPhone is longer and has nearly the same specs. I'm needing something "More."

But good luck with your android -- give us some details as to how it feels being an iPhone user switching android... Many of us would like to know different perspectives. Fill us in.

Hmm hard to say if you'll like it considering you were forced into it. Android can be a bit overwhelming with the way things work vs an iPhone.

At least you got the subsidy price. You can always sell it for more then 250 an get an unlocked 4S. I'd give it a chance though. Let us know what you think.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011

As someone pointed out, there's more of you out there. Though, they went into it more willingly than you did. Since you weren't exactly looking to jump ship, your perspective might be a little different...can you share about your experience so far? What you like/don't like about it?

I'm not due for an upgrade until April sometime, considering taking a family members upgrade and getting the S3 and giving them my 4S (they have a 4). Still need to go check it out in person though.

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
NC
I'm waiting for the iP5 before I make such a decision.. If the iP5 doesn't live up..

Well, I might actually have to seriously consider jumping ship.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I'm waiting for the iP5 before I make such a decision.. If the iP5 doesn't live up..

Well, I might actually have to seriously consider jumping ship.

I have an iPhone 4s for my personal phone, and I was given the option of whatever phone I wanted for my work phone with my new job. I chose the Samsung Galaxy SII thinking I will have the BEST of both worlds (at the time, of course). I liked it at first, it had a huge, beautiful screen and it was my new toy. After about a week though, I hated it. I would only carry it when I had to, and I would leave it at work.

I have never really cared about customizing my phone to the level that Android allows, so that did not do anything for me. Simply put, the touch screen wasn't as nice. It didn't seem to track as well as the touch screen on the iPhone. All of the apps I had on both phones seemed to look nicer and run smoother on the iPhone. I went into it wanting it and I was really excited about having both. That all changed.

Recently, an employee left the company I work for, he had chosen a black iPhone 4s for his work phone. I traded in the Galaxy SII for it. Now I have a white and a black iPhone 4s, and I am much happier.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
i had a HTC phone last year.

Google Play is crap compared to the app store
most of the widgets i used were buggy or didn't work
the background downloading is useless most times and a PITA now with tiered data plans
the customization got old in a week

android is a geek's wet dream to live your life around a mini computer, but for normal people iphone rules

chokem

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2012
Searcy, AR
I purchased an Android a little over a year ago, an HTC Inspire. I tried to get used to it, but the battery life was horrendous, kept freezing up, browser was really lame, music player was not good at all. I kept it a little over three weeks and went back to the i4. For me, it was not a good experience after having getting used to the iPhone ecosystem.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
I purchased an Android a little over a year ago, an HTC Inspire. I tried to get used to it, but the battery life was horrendous, kept freezing up, browser was really lame, music player was not good at all. I kept it a little over three weeks and went back to the i4. For me, it was not a good experience after having getting used to the iPhone ecosystem.

had the same, Inspire 4G

I missed flash until you open a website in the browser and 10 different mini windows open up from all the scripts running on it

i know someone with a mytouch 4g which is an almost exact copy and he's always asking me how to uninstall some arcane app he somehow installed from somewhere he can't remember that's annoying him.

hooray for the locked down app store and apple's rules

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
That's another thing I did not like about the Galaxy SII... The fact that I had to download an "Advanced Task Killer" to save battery life, yet it was still pretty bad compared to my iPhone 4s.

Also, with the task and process killers, I had no idea was processes were important to not turn off.

imeth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2011
Ladies and gentlemen.. thanks for all the replies.. less than 24HRS, I went back to AT&T corporate store.. they ended up giving me an exchange for the 4S (proud owner again ) I couldn't take the fragile plastic back cover, the memory card slot/files the cheap feel of the Samsung Galaxy s3. I didn't like the Android os at all.. it was just way too much.. trying to dial a contact or even texting seems like too much work.. Overall App store is just awesome compared to that crap of a Google Play or whatever you want to call it. I am sad I have to pay the $35 restocking fee but I will talk to ATT customer service. Thank you ATT Apple iPhones for life..

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
Ladies and gentlemen.. thanks for all the replies.. less than 24HRS, I went back to AT&T corporate store.. they ended up giving me an exchange for the 4S (proud owner again ) I couldn't take the fragile plastic back cover, the memory card slot/files the cheap feel of the Samsung Galaxy s3. I didn't like the Android os at all.. it was just way too much.. trying to dial a contact or even texting seems like too much work.. Overall App store is just awesome compared to that crap of a Google Play or whatever you want to call it. I am sad I have to pay the $35 restocking fee but I will talk to ATT customer service. Thank you ATT Apple iPhones for life..

So no Android for you then?... hahahaha.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus

Android def isn't for everyone, but your assessment seems a bit harsh to me. Fragile back cover? It's a very flexible plastic and from all the video's I have seen of drop testing, the back never breaks, it just flies off. It's the glass front of the S3 or the iphone that is more fragile.

i have no idea what this means. Can you retype what you meant to say? "the memory card slot/files the cheap feel of the Samsung..."

And you said texting and calling was too much work? I don't understand this, since it is identical to doing it on the iphone. Launch gosms or whatever text app you use, type message, hit send. Or open S-Voice aka Siri knockoff and simply say, "text debbie". Same deal with making a call.
To me, it seems like you are just slamming a product for no real reasons.

It's perfectly acceptable to simply say, "I gave the S3 and Android a try and it just wasn't for me. I couldn't get comfortablewith the OS and the phone wasn't comfortable to hold." these are tangible and believable reasons.

To me, and this is just my opinion based on what you posted here, it just appears as though you didn't want the S3 to begin with (looks like you got forced into it), so immediately you already don't like the device. So anything that bothers you about the phone gets amplified 10 fold.

But it sounds like you are happy again with the 4S andin the end, that is all that matters. I personally like the S3. Love the camera and being able to set so many features. I like the video pop up feature too. Came inhandy on a stereoinstalli did last weekend. Anyway, i digress.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010

Hahahahahaha

Having to dial a contact is too hard? WHOW.

I can dial a contact with just one tap... There is a contacts widget to pin a contact to your home screen and just clicking on it will call him.

Thats pretty hard isnt it?

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
That's another thing I did not like about the Galaxy SII... The fact that I had to download an "Advanced Task Killer" to save battery life, yet it was still pretty bad compared to my iPhone 4s.

Also, with the task and process killers, I had no idea was processes were important to not turn off.

Advanced task killers do nothing to save battery life. They actually can do more harm than good. People that say Android forced closed on me 20 times a day don't realize that they were the reason for it. Task killer apps try to override the os memory management and files can be corrupted.

Android actually does a pretty good job managing memory, unless a company like HTC decides to tweak it so multitasking won't work.

imeth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2011
Android def isn't for everyone, but your assessment seems a bit harsh to me. Fragile back cover? It's a very flexible plastic and from all the video's I have seen of drop testing, the back never breaks, it just flies off. It's the glass front of the S3 or the iphone that is more fragile.

i have no idea what this means. Can you retype what you meant to say? "the memory card slot/files the cheap feel of the Samsung..."

And you said texting and calling was too much work? I don't understand this, since it is identical to doing it on the iphone. Launch gosms or whatever text app you use, type message, hit send. Or open S-Voice aka Siri knockoff and simply say, "text debbie". Same deal with making a call.
To me, it seems like you are just slamming a product for no real reasons.

It's perfectly acceptable to simply say, "I gave the S3 and Android a try and it just wasn't for me. I couldn't get comfortablewith the OS and the phone wasn't comfortable to hold." these are tangible and believable reasons.

To me, and this is just my opinion based on what you posted here, it just appears as though you didn't want the S3 to begin with (looks like you got forced into it), so immediately you already don't like the device. So anything that bothers you about the phone gets amplified 10 fold.

But it sounds like you are happy again with the 4S andin the end, that is all that matters. I personally like the S3. Love the camera and being able to set so many features. I like the video pop up feature too. Came inhandy on a stereoinstalli did last weekend. Anyway, i digress.

Thanks and glad you are happy with your S3. Not for everyone same goes for long time Android users moving to the iOS.

The guy that laughed... Lol yes to dial a damn contact was so slippery of a phone

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
24hrs isn't enough time to get comfortable with Android OS, especially for iOS users. I wonder what you would've thought of Symbian !!

I love my SGS II, and looking forward to getting the GS III or the new Nexus sometime soon!

Either way, both Android and iOS are great and one should use whatever they're more comfortable and happier with! :)

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
If the stretched iPhone turns out to be true I am going to look at other options. The SIII being one of them. Not 100% sure I want to switch yet but I am more open to the idea now than I used to be. I really like some of the windows phones that are out there too. It can't hurt, right? I can always come crawling back if I hate it.

I think what worries me most is leaving the "ecosystem" (I am a mac user as well as an iPad user so it's nice to have it all sync) and re-purchasing apps that I already own for iOS. But time will tell in just a few months. I might be joining you if this stretched iPhone is the real deal. I don't think I could get used to it, but I'd like to hold one before I judge.

Good luck with a new OS! Keep us posted!

EDIT- derp I just saw you came back to iOS haha. Well you tried, man. A lot of us on here aren't that brave.

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
You sound more like an Apple fanboy than someone who really wanted to give Android a try.

-Texting on Android is exactly the same as on the iphone.
-I'd bet you $100 the back cover on the GS3 is stronger than the back of the iphone
-Memory card? You stick the memory card in, put the back cover on and leave it there until you sell the phone in a couple of years. What's the big negative with that?

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
I don't see why people are trying to change or correct your own personal assessment of the phone. I had to laugh, I switched to the SSGS3 and when I wrote how nice the screen and how smoooth "I" found the device I was told that I was mistaken! LOL!

I have a differing opinion of the device than you but everyone IS different in what they like.

Either way, you are back home now :) Life is good and iPhone is a very good solid device.

Peace Bro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.