Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dias

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Hi guys

Looks like MobileMe started to work for me, Push email is really cool (when it works)! Calendar still give me some errors, but I'd like to give it another chance...

My questions is, is there anybody who managed to import their Gmail email using External Account settings?

Description: Gmail
Username: myuser
Password: mypass
Incoming Mail Server: pop.gmail.com

And what I get is:

The mail server for your external POP account cannot be reached. Make sure the incoming mail server is correct in the Other tab of Mail Preferences.

Oh, btw, Pop is active in my Gmail account. :confused:

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I just had both accounts set up in Mail.app (gmail was set to IMAP) and I copied all my messages from each mailbox in Gmail to the corresponding mailbox in MobileMe. It took a little while (I had over 16,000 emails in Gmail) but it worked fine. I now have all my Gmail email imported into MobileMe.

Dias

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
I just had both accounts set up in Mail.app (gmail was set to IMAP) and I copied all my messages from each mailbox in Gmail to the corresponding mailbox in MobileMe. It took a little while (I had over 16,000 emails in Gmail) but it worked fine. I now have all my Gmail email imported into MobileMe.

Well, yeah, but this method ignores email attachments, right?

Pooshka

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2008
Dias, nope, Gmail has never worked for me either. Been trying to make it work for the last 2 years. No success whatsoever.

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2004
UK
Well, yeah, but this method ignores email attachments, right?

No-all attachments are also copied across if you do it in Mail.app. It does take a very long time though and given that the iPhone mail app has no search you may question what the point is. As it is I have >8000 emails going back to 2004 archived in me.com and they take about 800MB so not really impacting on my 20GB. If you're still using POP for Gmail you can just drag the emails from your gmail inbox to your MobileMe inbox (do the same for the sent mailboxes). I would do a few at a time as trying to do thousands at once usually gets interrupted by a disconnection from the server).

You could enable IMAP for Gmail, set up a new IMAP user account on Mail.app and drag your old gmail emails to your IMAP inbox and sent mailboxes (don't delete your Pop account in Mail.app until you've done this or your messages will all be deleted). End result is the same, just depends if you want to archive your emails on mobileme or gmail.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Gmail uses a non-standard port for POP: 995 over SSL. Most POP servers are over port 110. MobileMe probably doesn't know to use 995, and maybe not even SSL. I don't know if there's anywhere you can set this.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
My questions is, is there anybody who managed to import their Gmail email using External Account settings?
Bleh, why? :eek:

MobileMe doesn't appear to have secure web access, and it doesn't have automatic mail filtering/sorting -- features that both gmail and yahoo mail have.

Migrating my tagged gmail to MM would be excruciatingly painful, as I make extensive use of tagging.

What I've done is set up a gmail filter to selectively autoforward messages to MM -- basically, urgent/important messages get sent, and the rest pile up for later perusal. When my iPhone beeps, I just use that an a signal, and read the mail via gmail (in the iPhone). I just ignore the MM account in the iPhone. After a while, I just delete all mail from MM.

Shaan

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
I am resurrecting this thread because I need help with a similar issue.

I just got MobileMe and I have figured out how to forward new emails (emails that I receive from now on) into MobileMe Mail. I can not figure out how to get all my old emails into MobileMe so that searching will be easy and so I can consolidate into one email address.

If someone could help me out with this then that would be great, thanks!

Shaan

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
I am having more problems with MobileMe:

When I try to use Find my iPhone it just says "Trying to Locate" and eventually says "Location is not available."
I have full 3G bars and full WiFi with Location Services on and the Find my iPhone feature on in the Settings.

I tried to send a "test" message to my iPhone but I haven't received a confirmation email nor has the message arrived to the phone.

Does it take a few hours for a good connection to be established between the Cloud and my iPhone or is something wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Sonicjay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
I am resurrecting this thread because I need help with a similar issue.

I just got MobileMe and I have figured out how to forward new emails (emails that I receive from now on) into MobileMe Mail. I can not figure out how to get all my old emails into MobileMe so that searching will be easy and so I can consolidate into one email address.

If someone could help me out with this then that would be great, thanks!

Like they said above, setup your mobile me account and your other accounts in Mail, and simply drag the messages from one account to the other. I've done this several times to migrate to different accounts; date/time stamps are retained and everything.

phineas

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2006
South of the Border I-95
Which application are you dragging in

Like they said above, setup your mobile me account and your other accounts in Mail, and simply drag the messages from one account to the other. I've done this several times to migrate to different accounts; date/time stamps are retained and everything.

I'll use the bad word and ASSUME that you have setup your mobileme and gmail accts in the mail app (part of OSX) & your dragging from one to another?

Thanks

cbdoc

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2010
I'll use the bad word and ASSUME that you have setup your mobileme and gmail accts in the mail app (part of OSX) & your dragging from one to another?

Thanks

Yes that's the procedure. I'll warn you that it does not work well for large mail boxes. I get tons of errors when I do this so eventually gave up (yes even after rebuilding and re-indexing my box).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.