Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Hi guys,

I'm debating to get some new displays for my Mac Pro 6.1. My eyes want the retina effect ;)

So the question is either jump right in and get two dell 2715k. Or maybe two 2715Q will be just fine for me.
But I have never seen a 4K display run at scaled 1440p mode and have no clue how it looks nor do I have the chance to test it somehow.

Right now I'm on two apple TB displays. Does 1440 scaled look WAY better than the native 1440 resolution on my current screens?
I kinda lean towards the real 5k deal, especially since I want glossy displays. But the clumsy dual DP connection.. and I'm a little worried about performance also. Maybe the Mac Pro will handle 4K better? Please share your experiences!

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
Indeed I do, but not with a nMP, only with a rMB and Windows gaming rig. I can provide my experience with the rMB, though:

Scaled 1440p does look sharper on a 4K monitor than on a native 1440p. However, there is a quality and performance deterioration when using scaled 1440p on a 4K (@1.5x) vs. scaled 1440p on a 5K display (@2x). You may or may not notice this difference depending on a number of factors - eyesight, distance from screen, etc. - but it does exist. For me, with 20/20 vision and sat about 1.5m from the monitor, it doesn't bother me and I love the crispness I get from the 4K display. Our 5K iMac definitely has the edge when it comes to sharpness, though.

In short, if you have the funds for the 5K, and don't mind the - err...questionable - physical appearance of the LG 5K UF, then I would recommend it. There's also the issue you pointed out that until the MP is updated (if the MP is ever updated...), then you need dual DP connection - I'm unsure of performance.

Regarding performance - using any scaling that isn't native (actual 4K) or @2x (1920x1080) did impact performance. But my rMB has about 1/100th of the power of your nMP so I cannot imagine you'd notice it. I've actually started using the 3008x1692 resolution as I feel it retains the sharpness at the same time as giving me a huge workspace and still-easily-usable UI elements.

FWIW, this is the naff, wobbly video I put together. Almost embarrassed to show it to a MP user (many video editors!), but, regardless, here it is:

Edit: I'd also add that I actually think Windows does a far better job of scaling most of the time. I was surprised - I haven't used Windows properly for the best part of 12 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: lympero and ressac

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Thanks for the video. the 1440p looks pretty decent to me... problem is, gopro and youtube kinda make it hard to tell ;) Would need a proper still from a DSLR or something, photographed close up.

It appears there's no other way than ordering Both the 4k and 5k and compare them in person, since I can't find ANY local story in BERLIN that has a 4k computer monitor on display to connect my macbook to...

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
Thanks for the video. the 1440p looks pretty decent to me... problem is, gopro and youtube kinda make it hard to tell ;) Would need a proper still from a DSLR or something, photographed close up.

It appears there's no other way than ordering Both the 4k and 5k and compare them in person, since I can't find ANY local story in BERLIN that has a 4k computer monitor on display to connect my macbook to...

Well those, plus my awful iMovie 'skills' ;) You can take my word for it that it's good, but you'll need to make your own judgement on how good.

Come to think of it, I can't think of anywhere in the UK that would have one on display either! Hope you manage to find one/get your hands on one.

FWIW, I've been seriously impressed by the simplicity, looks, functionality and build quality of this relatively cheap LG 27UD88-W - if you do decide to go 27" 4K, then I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this monitor to you. Other options are of course available!

Fozziebear40

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
Newton-le-Willows, England
FWIW, I've been seriously impressed by the simplicity, looks, functionality and build quality of this relatively cheap LG 27UD88-W - if you do decide to go 27" 4K, then I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this monitor to you. Other options are of course available!

Thanks for the video Andy. I'm torn between the UD68 and UD88. I prefer the white back to the UD88. The UD68 can have a white back but no stock anywhere. I want to be able to play PS4 PRO through it, which they do. I don't need USB C yet but may do in future. £399 against £575. Ummm.

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
Thanks for the video Andy. I'm torn between the UD68 and UD88. I prefer the white back to the UD88. The UD68 can have a white back but no stock anywhere. I want to be able to play PS4 PRO through it, which they do. I don't need USB C yet but may do in future. £399 against £575. Ummm.

No problem at all. So many people are finding it a useful video, I might make a better version of it and put a bit more effort into it this time!

FWIW, I got my UD88 from Overclockers UK for £499. Out of stock right now, unfortunately. If you've never used them/heard of them before, I hadn't until recently and I've had nothing but excellent, fast support and products/delivery from them. Stand-out support, in fact.

It's also on PC World for about £485 or £405 if you own your own business.

I would definitely recommend going for the UD88 - I'm sat here on my laptop right now charging it via the UD88 and my iPhone too, with my PC actually running on the monitor (DisplayPort input). It's a PC/Mac compatible hub and monitor with the USB-C, with the UD68 things just get a bit more dongle-heavy with Macs.

Reactions: Fozziebear40

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Thanks again andy.
I couldn't stand this anymore though and ordered two Dell 5k 2715K now. Will get here in like two weeks, will post results ;)

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
Thanks again andy.
I couldn't stand this anymore though and ordered two Dell 5k 2715K now. Will get here in like two weeks, will post results ;)

Haha! Well, I think given your equipment your review might outshine mine ;)

Good luck with it all.

Fozziebear40

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
FWIW, I got my UD88 from Overclockers UK for £499. Out of stock right now, unfortunately. If you've never used them/heard of them before, I hadn't until recently and I've had nothing but excellent, fast support and products/delivery from them. Stand-out support, in fact.

It's also on PC World for about £485 or £405 if you own your own business.

Cheers for the links. I have used Overclockers before, very good. I think you have swayed me, especially as I may upgrade to a new MacBook in the near future.

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
Cheers for the links. I have used Overclockers before, very good. I think you have swayed me, especially as I may upgrade to a new MacBook in the near future.

That was my thinking too. Apple are not going to stop pushing down this USB-C route any time soon.

I'm neither an avid gamer, nor a graphics professional so I anticipate this screen will last me a few years now. It's high enough resolution to get that "retina-like" feel, and can provide me 4K gaming, which is still in its infancy. As I've said many times before, I've been seriously impressed by this relatively cheap monitor from LG. It honestly took me maybe 10 minutes from closed box to having it working with my MacBook and PC.

I even ensured the motherboard I bought for my gaming PC has a USB-C so I can maximise my options/usage of this monitor.

My setup right now is as such:

1. USB-C to MacBook
2. DisplayPort to PC
3. Apple Wireless Keyboard to MacBook or PC, depending on which I'm using
4. Apple Wireless Mouse for MacBook only
5. Wired mouse with buttons for games to PC
6. USB cables as needed for wireless headphone / iPhone charging connected to rear of monitor*

* Note with #6: To charge via USB through this monitor, you must have a USB-C device connected! You don't need to actually be viewing the USB-C input, but you need something connected. Obviously to actually utilise the USB ports on it, you also need a USB-C connected device.

I haven't actually tried the HDMI ports, but I know at least one is HDMI 2.0 so, as I understand it, you can use that with your PS4 for 4K @60Hz.

DisplayPort 1.2 was enabled by default - I know some monitor require you to fiddle with settings to enable it.

Reactions: Fozziebear40

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Haha! Well, I think given your equipment your review might outshine mine ;)

Good luck with it all.
Shoot! It appears as if the display is out of stock EVERYWHERE. I placed an amazon order on the last remaining two displays, but now the reseller tells me that they don't have them anymore actually... still waiting for final confirmation.
Maybe dell stopped producing it, if it's THIS hard to get.. :( What to do... go 4k untill apple updates the mac pro and then buy an overprized LG 5k? I hate that I don't know how it looks in the upscaled 4k->5k Version if you attach it to the mac pro right now, cause I'd prefer it over the dell and would like to get the rebate..

Reactions: ABCDEF-Hex

ABCDEF-Hex

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2013
NC
Shoot! It appears as if the display is out of stock EVERYWHERE. I placed an amazon order on the last remaining two displays, but now the reseller tells me that they don't have them anymore actually... still waiting for final confirmation.
Maybe dell stopped producing it, if it's THIS hard to get.. :( What to do... go 4k untill apple updates the mac pro and then buy an overprized LG 5k? I hate that I don't know how it looks in the upscaled 4k->5k Version if you attach it to the mac pro right now, cause I'd prefer it over the dell and would like to get the rebate..

I've waited too long for a new Thunderbolt.
I have a base nMP - tried the 4K early on due to bad info from Apple rep..
I just ordered the LG 5K - it's the only way to tell if any of the scaled options will work for my needs.

Last edited:

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I've waited too long for a new Thunderbolt.
I have a base nMP - tried the 4K early on due to bad info from Apple rep..
I just ordered the LG 5K - it's the only way to tell if any of the scaled options will work for my needs.

So my order got officially canceled. My plans are ruined cause it's impossible to buy the dell 5k ANYWHERE as of now. Seems it had too many issues and they discontinued it, it's not even to be found on the official dell website anymore :(

Local Apple store told me, they would hopefully get the LG 5k into their showroom maybe next week. If so, I'll go by and have them connect it to the old mac pro to see how it looks like.
I see only two options now: Either get a 4k and run it at 1440p, or get the LG and run it at scaled 4k->5k which I simply cant imagine to look good, but hopefully I'm wrong.
If it looks good enough, I might go for two LGs and hope for a TB 3 mac pro later this year to unlock its full potential.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Sorry to hear about that.

What exactly do you mean by this? If you had a 5K screen, you'd use it at 1440p @2x, surely?

I mean, if I would get the LG 5k, and want to attach it to the nMP, I'd have to use the TB2->TB3 adapter. The display obviously can be run like this with the nMP, but only at 4k, wich is then getting upscaled inside the monitor to 5k, and then downsampled to 1440p again. Hard to imagine it will look stunning...

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
I mean, if I would get the LG 5k, and want to attach it to the nMP, I'd have to use the TB2->TB3 adapter. The display obviously can be run like this with the nMP, but only at 4k, wich is then getting upscaled inside the monitor to 5k, and then downsampled to 1440p again. Hard to imagine it will look stunning...

Ah right - got ya.

If that setup even works, you're right the scaling will be done by the monitor. And yep, I doubt that'll look good at all if I'm honest.

From my somewhat naive perspective, the availability of high DPI monitors has suddenly exploded. There's HDMI 2.0, DP, USB-C, and all kinds of combinations therein. It's all over the place right now - give it a few more months and it'll be a bit clearer what the right choice is. I did a few weeks (on and off, obviously!) of research before grabbing this one whilst buying my PC parts, and I've been lucky that it fits in with my current setup perfectly well. Plus, my unit has been a good one, which also seems to be a lottery these days.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Ah right - got ya.

If that setup even works, you're right the scaling will be done by the monitor. And yep, I doubt that'll look good at all if I'm honest.

From my somewhat naive perspective, the availability of high DPI monitors has suddenly exploded. There's HDMI 2.0, DP, USB-C, and all kinds of combinations therein. It's all over the place right now - give it a few more months and it'll be a bit clearer what the right choice is. I did a few weeks (on and off, obviously!) of research before grabbing this one whilst buying my PC parts, and I've been lucky that it fits in with my current setup perfectly well. Plus, my unit has been a good one, which also seems to be a lottery these days.
And you run it at 1440 most of the time and like it, yes?

I ordered a dell 2715q now with the option to return it for free. So I'll see how i like that, since this display seems to be pretty well supported and tested out by now.
And If there's a new Mac Pro later this year I can always sell them and upgrade to the LG5k. It feels better than the quirky 2715K dual dp port solution for sure.

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
And you run it at 1440 most of the time and like it, yes?

I actually run it at 3008x1692 now as I love the smaller UI and big workspace (used to a 12" MacBook), but yes - 1440p was also good!

To be clear, it's not really 1440p or 3008x1692, it uses the full 4K pixels, but macOS is HiDPI scaling. There's so much confusion around resolution vs. scaling across these forums - you sound like you know what you're talking about though :)

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I actually run it at 3008x1692 now as I love the smaller UI and big workspace (used to a 12" MacBook), but yes - 1440p was also good!

To be clear, it's not really 1440p or 3008x1692, it uses the full 4K pixels, but macOS is HiDPI scaling. There's so much confusion around resolution vs. scaling across these forums - you sound like you know what you're talking about though :)

Yes of course, I understand how it's being done. Just call it that way for simplicity.

Fozziebear40

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
https://www.novatech.co.uk/products.../27ud88.html?gclid=CMz53azntdECFcsy0wodiV4IZw

Haven't looked into these guys as an etailer.
[doublepost=1483992382][/doublepost]They seem good going by trustpilot.

"Novatech has been providing technology for professionals and enthusiasts for over 27 years. From our engineering background we have evolved into one of the UK's most trusted technology providers by having great people, focused on delivering great value for our customers. They call it worry free computing."

I think I might give them a go if they get stock. No-one has any stock at the moment. I'd wait for the LG 32UD99 announced at CES 2017 but I am guessing it will be expensive.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
They appear to be getting 5 tomorrow but reading the small print these allocated to existing orders first come first serve. So they may already be allocated. Still worth a punt. Could always call them tomorrow.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I'm wondering why the 5k screen situation is that bad. Right now it appears the LG is the only one available. Both the Dell 2715k and the HP 5k are unavailable at any retailer in Germany right now.
Maybe they're all preparing the switch to TB3 (wich would be smart) but only if apple updates the mac pro eventually. And whenever that will be... in the meantime we legacy users seem to be stuck with 4k -_-

32" or 30" Displays are pointless for me, as I need two anyways and they would never fit on my desk.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
"Novatech has been providing technology for professionals and enthusiasts for over 27 years. From our engineering background we have evolved into one of the UK's most trusted technology providers by having great people, focused on delivering great value for our customers. They call it worry free computing."

I think I might give them a go if they get stock. No-one has any stock at the moment. I'd wait for the LG 32UD99 announced at CES 2017 but I am guessing it will be expensive.

Did you end buying one from them? I noticed they have 4 now, but also they haven't received their delivery today. Must be any day I imagine. I'm debating if I should jump on board at this price. Availability is terrible in the UK right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.