Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I sold up tonight and purchased a 7th generation IPod touch to tide me over to the new phone comes.
This isn't necessary. Adoption rates for iPhones is dropping and this isn't a major upgrade year. Generally, before and after launch day phone prices don't drop that much in the after market.

Reactions: Ifti

Killbynumbers

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
I sold two 512GB XS Max, one two weeks ago, and the other today, I got my asking price for both which was $900 on Craigslist.

I'm skipping the iPhone this year though and I have a Note 10+ being delivered tomorrow. My Max just about paid for the Note 10+.

I still have two 512GB Max, one was being used since I got it in October and the other was brand new in the box until today that I bought in January. The warranty just started today on that phone, it's not the date of purchase but when you actually turn it on and login with your iCloud id.

I'll use these iPhones for the next year and see what happens next year.

digthewell

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2018
Sold my 6S and will probably try and get a 7 or 8 once the prices drop post launch.

I still have two 512GB Max, one was being used since I got it in October and the other was brand new in the box until today that I bought in January.
May I ask, what do you do with so many phones?

Killbynumbers

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
Sold my 6S and will probably try and get a 7 or 8 once the prices drop post launch.

May I ask, what do you do with so many phones?
I like swictching phones often plus, there is no perfect carrier so I bring a T-Mobile phone plus one of the others which is either on Xfinity or AT&T.

I was using a Sim card in my iPhone 7+ for the past month as well as an S10+. I'm trying to thin the herd a bit though by selling some on Craigslist.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I sold two 512GB XS Max, one two weeks ago, and the other today, I got my asking price for both which was $900 on Craigslist.

I'm skipping the iPhone this year though and I have a Note 10+ being delivered tomorrow. My Max just about paid for the Note 10+.

I still have two 512GB Max, one was being used since I got it in October and the other was brand new in the box until today that I bought in January. The warranty just started today on that phone, it's not the date of purchase but when you actually turn it on and login with your iCloud id.

I was always told that AppleCare starts from the date of purchase, not when you log into iCloud.

a494af37b354302a0910f026d3b2d57e.jpg

Killbynumbers

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
I was always told that AppleCare starts from the date of purchase, not when you log into iClou
I think they assume a normal person will activate the phone the same day and not put it away unopened for 8 months like I did. My warranty inside the settings app on the phone says it's good until September 4th 2020 and I have 60 days to purchase Apple Care. It does start when you login to your iCloud which essentially registers the device. Apple would have no idea when I purchased the phone from AT&T when I never turned it on. I just took the Sim and put it in another phone the day I got it.

I had plans to maybe jailbreak it and I could have since the firmware was 12.0.1 but I brought it up to the current.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010

What did u do with 4 XS max??? And each with 512GB? Why?
[doublepost=1567756249][/doublepost]
I like swictching phones often plus, there is no perfect carrier so I bring a T-Mobile phone plus one of the others which is either on Xfinity or AT&T.

I was using a Sim card in my iPhone 7+ for the past month as well as an S10+. I'm trying to thin the herd a bit though by selling some on Craigslist.
Isn’t there esim for? So u can at least use 2 carriers

Killbynumbers

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
What did u do with 4 XS max??? And each with 512GB? Why?
Two were bought from when I had Verizon in the fall and the other two on AT&T. Version could not get me service at my house Soni cancelled and tried AT&T. AT&T is the same and can't get me service at my house so I mostly use T-Mobile and keep AT&T for work where T-Mobile sucks. I bought the 512GB models because we I wanted them, plain and simple.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Two were bought from when I had Verizon in the fall and the other two on AT&T. Version could not get me service at my house Soni cancelled and tried AT&T. AT&T is the same and can't get me service at my house so I mostly use T-Mobile and keep AT&T for work where T-Mobile sucks. I bought the 512GB models because we I wanted them, plain and simple.
And the dual sim support doesn’t help?

Killbynumbers

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
And the dual sim support doesn’t help?
T-Mobile didn't startofferin esim support till a few weeks agomon postpaid and I didn't want the esim anyways because I'm like using different phones all the time. I have some S10+ Phones I got from AT&T that are now unlocked so I can use them on T-Mobile, a Note 9, Note 8 and a Note 10+ being delivered in the morning from Xfinity mobile. Most of those phones don't have esims anyways.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Do iPhones prices even drop more than $50 after new ones are released? These are not Android phones after all. We know iPhones keep most of their price for some time. Plus, not everybody in the world will know the new ones are being released immediately.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I don't sell or give away an old device until I have the replacement in hand. I certainly don't get rid of my current device before I've even seen the one I plan to replace it with.

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2014
I don't sell or give away an old device until I have the replacement in hand. I certainly don't get rid of my current device before I've even seen the one I plan to replace it with.
Same here. I also hold on to my old device for a week or so, which gives me time to determine whether or not I like the new device and that it functions properly.

Reactions: joeblow7777

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Recently sold my XR for almost what I paid for it new, although it had sat largely unused for the past month as I also bought a 128GB SE to replace my back up 32GB SE but enjoyed using the new one so much I’m sticking with this for the time being. Will consider the new XS smaller device as the XR was just too big for me to enjoy using.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I never sell my most recent phone. I keep it for backup. I sell my previous, previous iPhone.
That's what I normally do too.
I have a 6S+ that I am selling and was planning on keeping the 7+ (current) to be replaced by an 11.
But it looks like T Mobile is offering $350 for my 7 so I'll be trading her in...:oops:

Jnyce

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
Sold my XS Max Gold 256 3 weeks ago for 800......been slumming it with a SE since then

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.