Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
How easy was your purchase? Did they say if there were plenty available?

I'm planning on calling a few T-mobiles after I get off work but i'd like to hear from people who have purchased already.

pocketpenguin

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2012
How easy was your purchase? Did they say if there were plenty available?

I'm planning on calling a few T-mobiles after I get off work but i'd like to hear from people who have purchased already.

I stopped by mine after a horrible experience at bestbuy. I got there at 8:40 am an I was the first customer of the day. They opened early for the ipad launch.

I asked about the air and was told that they has lots of them in both colors. Unfortunately, they were all 16gig. I need more than that, the helpful sales person said they could order me a bigger one, but didn't know when it would arrive. Bummer.

So they had limited stock in terms of storage size, but they had plenty on hand and no customers for the first 40 minutes of the day. We have only the one tmobile corporate store in my Midwest town of 100k people, so your experience may differ.

Then I asked about the 200mb plan, and they asked if I was already a tmobile customer. Since I was, they would add the plan to my account and it would be $10/month, but I would get a $10/month credit.

That didn't sound right so I asked what a non-tmobile customer would do. They said they would activate a sim as a prepaid sim and the 200mb would be free. However they wouldn't do this for me and kept pushing me for the $10 scheme. I think they get bonuses for activations of any kind, thus the push toward the $10 scheme. I said never mind and left.

I then went home and activated my ipad 3 on the 200mb plan by simply inserting a new tmobile sim that I had laying around. Poof, sign up page appeared and I enrolled in the 200mb without having to pay or provide any sort of payment info or connecting it to my existing account.

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2012
I stopped by mine after a horrible experience at bestbuy. I got there at 8:40 am an I was the first customer of the day. They opened early for the ipad launch.

I asked about the air and was told that they has lots of them in both colors. Unfortunately, they were all 16gig. I need more than that, the helpful sales person said they could order me a bigger one, but didn't know when it would arrive. Bummer.

So they had limited stock in terms of storage size, but they had plenty on hand and no customers for the first 40 minutes of the day. We have only the one tmobile corporate store in my Midwest town of 100k people, so your experience may differ.

Then I asked about the 200mb plan, and they asked if I was already a tmobile customer. Since I was, they would add the plan to my account and it would be $10/month, but I would get a $10/month credit.

That didn't sound right so I asked what a non-tmobile customer would do. They said they would activate a sim as a prepaid sim and the 200mb would be free. However they wouldn't do this for me and kept pushing me for the $10 scheme. I think they get bonuses for activations of any kind, thus the push toward the $10 scheme. I said never mind and left.

I then went home and activated my ipad 3 on the 200mb plan by simply inserting a new tmobile sim that I had laying around. Poof, sign up page appeared and I enrolled in the 200mb without having to pay or provide any sort of payment info or connecting it to my existing account.

I walked in my local store at 9:45 am. They had White 16 GB and Black 16 & 32 GB available. I bought a black 32 GB and got the on-demand data. I paid the $99 down plus the $60 or so sales tax and left. Took about 10 mins. There was no one else in the store. They had plenty in stock.

bobTX10

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2011
Same like matt2053. They had only 1 32GB space gray unit in my area of like 4 tmobile stores. Everyone else had just 16GB units. Was first one. No hassle. :D

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
I was able to find a Slate 32GB T-Mobile in store. Ended up cancelling my online T-Mo order that wasn't scheduled to ship until 11/7.

A few stores around me stated they had not received any yet or were already sold out. Lucked out on this one!

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
If u buy it outright at apple u can enjoy 200mb a month. I tried to finance through t mobile and on top of the down pay plus taxes I had to pay $10 a month for the full use of the machine !!!! 2 years of 10$ on top of the monthly payment was absolutely ridiculous

boshii

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Thanks for the replies! I feel confident I can find one later.

If u buy it outright at apple u can enjoy 200mb a month. I tried to finance through t mobile and on top of the down pay plus taxes I had to pay $10 a month for the full use of the machine !!!! 2 years of 10$ on top of the monthly payment was absolutely ridiculous

I have a voice plan so i'm not worried about the $10 per month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.