Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
It's difficult to make a concrete judgement without knowing if there definitely will be a tablet device and what its specs will be. However, I do believe the slate will be significantly less powered than any Apple portable computer. They are in two different realms.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
They failed because the hardware and software implementation sucked. MS thought that all you had to do to make a tablet was just to make it so you could write anywhere on the screen.

I need a device that
A) Doesn't suck
B) has a screen larger than an iPhone
C) Doesn't need to have a keyboard but should have some intutive form of input
D) aformentioned screen for reading full color pages of text + graphics.

If some "iSlate" meets all of these reqs than i'll be first in line (already have $$$ lined up) . All the tablets that have come before it are klunky n' slow, specially those fugly convertable ones. The potential out there is huge. Apple sees the dollars floating around especially in the rentable textbook / education space.

I wouldn't say it sucked. I had this girl in my math class who had one of those laptops that was also a touchscreen. She used it primarily for music class. Although it wasn't a full out tablet with just touchscreen input, it was fully functional and didn't present her with any problems. I could imagine that other full Windows tablets functioned the same but it didn't really appear to have commercial appeal - enter Apple.

Like I said, if you're looking at it as something that offers productivity and entertainment, I don't see how Apple's version of the tablet would be better than that of Windows tablets that had XP. I personally feel that because it's Apple, everyone is hyping it more than they really should. Of course no one knows for sure because it's all still a rumour.

Most people here feel that Apple's tablet isn't going to step on what the MacBook and MacBook Pro's do and will be nothing more than a portable media device. Will probably offer some productivity but will mainly focus on media.

EndlessMac

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2009
I'm really surprised at how many people are actually putting the Apple tablet in the same category as the MBP. I guess that just shows the expectations of some potential customers and also their naivety of current technology.

Most people would want a tablet that is thin and light so thinking that it will have the power of a MBP is just incredible wishful thinking. If that were possible then the MacBook Air wouldn't be so crippled in comparison to a MBP. I can understand the choice between an tablet and a MacBook Air but not a MBP.

We will also have to see if the Apple tablet is closer to a traditional computer laptop, if it's an iPhone on steroids, or a hybrid of the two which I believe it will be. Just like the iPhone you probably can't do everything you do on a computer so saying it could be a replacement for a MBP is premature. I'm not saying there isn't a market for a tablet but I don't see how it would be a replacement for a higher powered laptop. A tablet will mostly like create another market and it will be a device in addition to what you currently have rather than a replacement.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
If you want a graphics card, get a Macbook Pro. If you don't, get a Macbook. If you want a fashion accessory, get a Macbook Air. If you want a giant iPod, get an iSlate.

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
Hello,

Yes, I know the Slate hasn't shown its face yet, but I'm just wondering if anybody waiting for the MBP (or MB) refresh is giving much thought to opting for the Slate.

The Slate, it seems, will lack a "real" keyboard, but how long before some wunderkind or wunderkompany comes up with a base station for the Slate... a base that incorporates a "real" poundable keyboard.

The Slate may well lack the power of even the entry 13" MBP, but if the base station materializes, you get, in a sense, two computers... The truly portable and the deskbound.

One wonders if the Slate will be hookable to an external monitor.

Heck, imagine the Slate as a bridge between "external" (base station) keyboard and an external monitor.

Perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree or just barking mad!

I seriously laughed at this thread. WOW!!! :eek: eek your serious though.

Well lets see If the Apple Tablet has a discrete graphics chip, Intel processor, isight, lots of I/O (meaning 5 ports ), will have at least 4GB ram, 128GB or larger SSD, oh yeah and most import on my list XCODE :D, us DEVS need our IDE.

If the Tablet has all that then I'll wait or probably pass on the MacBook Pros, especially since it's a tablet they'll have to price it no higher the $1000.

Like some others have mentioned. If I have a iPhone, iPod Nano, MacBook Pro, and a Mac Pro. Where could a new Apple lust machine fit it? I never have a problem giving Apple my money (heck I purchase the ram from Apple. which is actually cheaper or in-line with the competition BTW, despite what others say).

I'm hoping the next MacBook Air refresh (meaning 4GB Ram and 160SSD), will allow me to ditch the MacBook Pro. Even though I will miss Nvidia graphics notebooks :( . Nvidia is sooooooo much better people you just don't understand ahhhhh!!! (I digress)

iDisk

:apple:

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
good luck typing a 10 page paper on a touchscreen keyboard..lol

the tablet is likely a niche product to be used in conjunction with a computer, not as a replacement

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

The funny thing is that people get so worked up about these unreleased products and when they see the real thing they're disappointed

we will start seeing the whiney complaining threads that apple missed the target

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
no matter how bad it is....i will still be purchasing it....cant be any worse the HP/Microsoft tablet.

Ebook store in itunes :D

Aluminum Chassis....perfect second to my macbook air.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The funny thing is that people get so worked up about these unreleased products and when they see the real thing they're disappointed

we will start seeing the whiney complaining threads that apple missed the target

Let it be written, let it be so :D

Of course, this is with every apple event, not just the iPad's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.