Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
Hey guys, any of you use Infuse or an app like it to stream videos from Google Drive? If so, how well does it work for really large 4K files and passing audio formats through? Looking for an alternative to Kodi, which afaik is not available on Apple TV.

aarsh

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2021
I recently started using the infuse app, but still prefer plex's interface and sorting tools. Yes, infuse works well with large 4k file and high fidelity audio, but it will suck a lot of your bandwidth and might require ethernet wiring to your apple tv.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Hey guys, any of you use Infuse or an app like it to stream videos from Google Drive? If so, how well does it work for really large 4K files and passing audio formats through? Looking for an alternative to Kodi, which afaik is not available on Apple TV.
Kodi isn't, but MrMC, which is a fork of Kodi, is. I don't know if it supports Google Drive yet though. It's planned, but last I checked it only supported Dropbox.

Longkeg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2014
The Nation’s (US) Oldest City
Infuse will handle 4K files easily as long as there’s enough bandwidth to feed data at the required speed. Streaming from a drive on your home network? No problem. Stream from any cloud service and you’re at the mercy of your ISP to maintain high enough bandwidth to keep the dreaded “buffering beach ball” away.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
Kodi isn't, but MrMC, which is a fork of Kodi, is. I don't know if it supports Google Drive yet though. It's planned, but last I checked it only supported Dropbox.
Can you install Kodi add-ons in MrMC?

Infuse will handle 4K files easily as long as there’s enough bandwidth to feed data at the required speed. Streaming from a drive on your home network? No problem. Stream from any cloud service and you’re at the mercy of your ISP to maintain high enough bandwidth to keep the dreaded “buffering beach ball” away.
I wonder if Google drive is the limiting factor sometimes. My internet speed is definitely fast enough.

I recently started using the infuse app, but still prefer plex's interface and sorting tools. Yes, infuse works well with large 4k file and high fidelity audio, but it will suck a lot of your bandwidth and might require ethernet wiring to your apple tv.
I tried Plex a bit, but couldn't find a good way to stream from Google drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.