Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arijaycomet

macrumors member
May 23, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio - USA
Ari, I've read a lot of your reviews and they have been very helpful. I was wondering what your opinion is of the iHome smart plug. I have use for a couple of them but the reviews I've read have mentioned lots of disconnects. So I'm hesitant to try them.

Indeed it would disconnect a lot. There are other plugs out there now that I never tested with HomeKit. Frankly I've enjoyed the Lutron Caseta the best for switched and plugs. Maybe not the cheapest option but consider that for your needs. It also makes it easier down the road to add wall switches under the same umbrella.

BradWould

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I've got 12 hue bulbs and the HomeKit hub. I love it. I also bought 2 nest protect smoke alarms today. I know they're not HomeKit devices but I checked out the HomeKit smoke alarm on the market and still decided to go with nest. I want to make my home as HomeKit compatible as possible but I just didn't see the Siri integration as a huge plus on a device I'll talk to once a year. Especially since the nest protects will work with my hue lights through ifttt. Next purchase will be the ecobee3 thermostat.

brianbunge

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Kennesaw, GA
Yeah, I bought a Nest thermostat about 6 months before I realized it was not HomeKit compatible. I'm hoping I can get around $200 for it to go towards and Ecobee.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
I'm still waiting on the sidelines for this whole home automation thing to get one standard. It seems like there are too many different products that don't talk to each other

Can't say I blame you. I got the Wink bulbs because two bulbs and a Link hub cost $25 in a sale I saw. So now I've got three lamps and both bulbs in my bedroom ceiling fan light controllable from my phone and watch. I don't want to go too much farther for the exact reason you mention. But if I see some sale on switches, I may get one for a few lights in my den/kitchen (they're part of one open space).

I'd also love to get a thermostat I can use via some app, but it doesn't really need replacing and I don't really know what I want. I also may be moving in a year, so I don't want to drop too much money into stuff that's hard to take with you. I can swap out light bulbs easily. A thermostat is getting a little harder to just rip out and take with you.

arijaycomet

macrumors member
May 23, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio - USA
Ari, I've read a lot of your reviews and they have been very helpful. I was wondering what your opinion is of the iHome smart plug. I have use for a couple of them but the reviews I've read have mentioned lots of disconnects. So I'm hesitant to try them.

Sorry for the HUGE delay in my reply. For some reason Macrumors wasn't sending me notifications on my phone (tapatalk) and at the same time I just forgot I had some threads going here over the holidays. Anyhow.... I really don't love the iHome plugs for the exact reason you listed. Tons of disconnect issues. From what I've heard the ConnectSense units are better: https://www.connectsense.com

I've not had a chance to test those because I use the Lutron system at my home, and their outlets work great. I have those which use the ClearConnect protocols with my Lutron hub-- and that hub is also HomeKit compatible. I've found that works nice, but the up front cost of hub plus plug-in receptacles is high compared to the other stand-alone products. Frankly I just haven't found others that are as reliable in my various testing (non-HK versions like WeMo and such are flaky too, it isn't just the HK hardware).

If you test/try a ConnectSense unit let us know what you think!

brianbunge

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Kennesaw, GA
Sorry for the HUGE delay in my reply. For some reason Macrumors wasn't sending me notifications on my phone (tapatalk) and at the same time I just forgot I had some threads going here over the holidays. Anyhow.... I really don't love the iHome plugs for the exact reason you listed. Tons of disconnect issues. From what I've heard the ConnectSense units are better: https://www.connectsense.com

I've not had a chance to test those because I use the Lutron system at my home, and their outlets work great. I have those which use the ClearConnect protocols with my Lutron hub-- and that hub is also HomeKit compatible. I've found that works nice, but the up front cost of hub plus plug-in receptacles is high compared to the other stand-alone products. Frankly I just haven't found others that are as reliable in my various testing (non-HK versions like WeMo and such are flaky too, it isn't just the HK hardware).

If you test/try a ConnectSense unit let us know what you think!

No worries on the delay. I really only wanted the plug-in switches for things like Christmas lights, which sort of seems like a waste of money if it won't be used on a regular basis. But it one could come in handy for use with some outside rope lighting. Other than that, I'm really waiting for the stand-alone light switches. As you mentioned, the up-front cost of the Lurton system with the need for a base station is a turn off.

WeMo finally got their act together and fixed the app just as I was transitioning to Hue. I'm still using 2 of the WeMo light switches until there are HomeKit alternatives.

BradWould

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Installed my ecobee3 today. I had a bit of trouble with the upstairs remote sensor. I named it "upstairs" and apparently HomeKit doesn't like it when there is an item with the same name as a room. So I renamed it. Other than that it's working great!

simonx314

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
I just want to add my Apple TV 4 so that I can ask Siri to wake it or put in sleep as that also turns on and off my AV receiver and television due to hdmi cec. Any way of doing this yet? I'm using Home for HomeKit for the software integration.

I can tell Siri to "turn on my tv" or "turn on my stereo" thanks to my Rasberry Pi running Homebridge with the Denon and SSH plugins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.