Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AthenaNoctua

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2012
Suddenly, for no obvious reason, searching Finder finds nothing. The reindexing Spotlight trick via SysPrefs didn't work, so I fired up Terminal and did the sudo mdutil -E / thing.

It shot back:

2023-10-28 22:57:46.674 mdutil[4052:215381] mdutil disabling Spotlight: / -> kMDConfigSearchLevelOff

Indexing and searching disabled.

Why...? Why's it disabled...? I've not knowingly disabled it and nobody else has access to this MBP. I've tried in both standard and safe mode - same result.

I then fired up Activity Monitor to see if 'mdutil' was a running process. It's not. There's no process by that name. Presumably 'mdutil' is the Spotlight indexing process (metadata utility, yes...?) - so why doesn't it exist...? I have 4 accounts - checked every single one - it's not there. At all.

Reentering the Terminal command simply produced the same response.

Has anyone any idea as to what might have disabled Spotlight - and how I go about reenabling it...? I'm autistic and like things simple so I'd rather not have to resort to using a 3rd party app.

I installed 14.1 when I got the notification that it was available, but I don't know if that's broken it because I didn't have a need to search for anything prior to installing it.

If I have to resort to a 3rd party app for now, then so be it, but it would need to be one which is integrated into Finder, so I can search for files within other apps.

But I'd really rather reenable Spotlight - so how do I get the metadata utility process running again...?

Thank you

Sarah

Attachments

• Image 28-10-2023 at 23.18.jpeg
    Image 28-10-2023 at 23.18.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 99

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Firstly, mdutil is the app for interacting with Spotlight indexing. Normally it is not running. What you should see is mds and mds_stores with lots of CPU usage. Also mdwrite, and multiple mdworker and mdworker_shared processes. And all those running under different usernames.

But I was having problems like you. Started under macOS 14.0 (just before upgrading to 14.1) and continued after update to 14.1. Over a short period of time, Spotlight would go from working, to not working and back to working.

I use mdutil -sav to observer state of indexes. An example of it stopping and getting going again (all within about 5 minutes):

% mdutil -sav /: Indexing enabled. Scan base time: 2023-10-27 21:57:04 +0000 (16969 seconds ago), reasoning: '(null)' /System/Volumes/Data: Indexing enabled. /System/Volumes/Preboot: Indexing enabled. /Volumes/Photos: Indexing enabled. Scan base time: 2023-10-28 02:39:34 +0000 (19 seconds ago), reasoning: '(null)' % mdutil -sav /: No index. /System/Volumes/Data: No index. /System/Volumes/Preboot: No index. /Volumes/Photos: No index. % mdutil -sav % mdutil -sav /: Indexing enabled. Scan base time: 2023-10-28 02:09:36 +0000 (2863 seconds ago), reasoning: '(null)' /System/Volumes/Data: Indexing enabled. /System/Volumes/Preboot: Indexing enabled. /Volumes/Photos: Indexing enabled. Scan base time: 2023-10-28 02:51:38 +0000 (341 seconds ago), reasoning: '(null)'

I had this sort of behaviour for about 3 days. Rebooting didn't obviously help.

But, without me doing anything, the indexing and searching are now working as expected. So perhaps patience is the answer.

Sumleilmus

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2011
/
I updated to 14.4.1 yesterday, and now Spotlight is almost useless. Instead of searching Finder, it uses Safari to search web. I hope in a couple of days it will be able to find directories in Finder, such as ~/Documents/Web Receipts.

Sigh. Oh Apple, wha' have ye done wi' yrself?

q3anon

macrumors member
May 8, 2020
Suddenly, for no obvious reason, searching Finder finds nothing. The reindexing Spotlight trick via SysPrefs didn't work, so I fired up Terminal and did the sudo mdutil -E / thing.

It shot back:

2023-10-28 22:57:46.674 mdutil[4052:215381] mdutil disabling Spotlight: / -> kMDConfigSearchLevelOff

Indexing and searching disabled.

Why...? Why's it disabled...? I've not knowingly disabled it and nobody else has access to this MBP. I've tried in both standard and safe mode - same result.

I then fired up Activity Monitor to see if 'mdutil' was a running process. It's not. There's no process by that name. Presumably 'mdutil' is the Spotlight indexing process (metadata utility, yes...?) - so why doesn't it exist...? I have 4 accounts - checked every single one - it's not there. At all.

Reentering the Terminal command simply produced the same response.

Has anyone any idea as to what might have disabled Spotlight - and how I go about reenabling it...? I'm autistic and like things simple so I'd rather not have to resort to using a 3rd party app.

I installed 14.1 when I got the notification that it was available, but I don't know if that's broken it because I didn't have a need to search for anything prior to installing it.

If I have to resort to a 3rd party app for now, then so be it, but it would need to be one which is integrated into Finder, so I can search for files within other apps.

But I'd really rather reenable Spotlight - so how do I get the metadata utility process running again...?

Thank you

Sarah
To disable indexing:

Code:
sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.metadata.mds.plist

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.