Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bcemail

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
Looking to pick up a couple of phones for Christmas with news lines. Verizon is offering the 11 (which I use) refurbished for free. Anyone with experience with this? A little hesitant but might be worth it. They also are offering the 12 mini or XS (or maybe XR) new and free. Gonna let my kids hold the mini to see if they prefer it. Any downsides there? Any reason to go with the X gen ones? Thanks!

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I’m a stalwart fan of genuine Apple refurbished iPhones because they replace just about everything and thoroughly test them / but a third party refurb? Personally I’d never buy one.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Looking to pick up a couple of phones for Christmas with news lines. Verizon is offering the 11 (which I use) refurbished for free. Anyone with experience with this? A little hesitant but might be worth it. They also are offering the 12 mini or XS (or maybe XR) new and free. Gonna let my kids hold the mini to see if they prefer it. Any downsides there? Any reason to go with the X gen ones? Thanks!
Verizon refurbished phones are from Asurian not Apple so 3rd party parts are used. Might not bother you but some prefer Apple refurbished using genuine parts

Reactions: itsclevelandbrown

ThePhoneDog

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2021
I've bought two - an iPhone 11 and an iPhone XR. Both have worked just fine, no issues. I bought both in "very good" condition (if you are debating between the three condition levels).

bcemail

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
Verizon refurbished phones are from Asurian not Apple so 3rd party parts are used. Might not bother you but some prefer Apple refurbished using genuine parts
Hmm. Hadn't thought of that. Just assumed the parts were Apple. Maybe I'll go with one of the new models. Not sure I want to get an X series since they are a bit older, but maybe the 12 mini. Thanks!

bcemail

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
I've bought two - an iPhone 11 and an iPhone XR. Both have worked just fine, no issues. I bought both in "very good" condition (if you are debating between the three condition levels).
Thanks, I was going to get the very good condition. As long as it works, I might not even know if there are 3rd party parts or anything. Big difference in price of course between free and Apple refurb.

ThePhoneDog

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2021
Thanks, I was going to get the very good condition. As long as it works, I might not even know if there are 3rd party parts or anything. Big difference in price of course between free and Apple refurb.
Yeah it works and true to what they say, there may be some minor scuffs but they're in good condition. Battery quality was at 85% on the iPhone XR and 91% on the iPhone 11.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.