Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Thinking of buying Nexus 6P anybody bought lately ? or using it, please share your experience, thanks.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Thinking of buying Nexus 6P anybody bought lately ? or using it, please share your experience, thanks.

I have one, not my current daily driver though. It's a solid phone--weaknesses in my opinion are the display (decent but not as good as iPhone, Pixel, or any Samsung) and camera (again, decent buy not great). Otherwise, performance is still very smooth and quick with Nougat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
Currently still using one bought back in November 2015. Not super pleased with it to be honest. Battery life has deteriorated to the point where i need to charge at least once (and sometimes twice) midday (in addition to charging overnight). This is with the phone always on wifi and doing simple things like web browsing and texting.

If it wasn't for the battery life and performance hiccups when the phone heats up (not a huge issue) this would be my perfect phone. Still looks just the same as the day i bought it and i am only using a really thin case (almost a skin) and a glass screen protector.

But if i had to buy a phone right now, i wouldn't buy a 6p.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
I recently purchased a used Nexus 6P. My first foray into Android since Android 2.3, which was years ago. Really satisfied with it. Great screen, very smooth (running Android 7.1.1). The battery life isn't as good as I'd like, but to be fair I often find myself with left over battery by the end of the day with light to moderate usage so I can't really complain. Coming from an old iPhone 5, the battery is REMARKABLE, so if there's better battery life on another Android phone, I'm none the wiser. :D

I haven't had any major hardware issues except for a time when the gyroscope stopped working when the phone fell off of my bed. But after a quick (intentional) drop on my desk to remedy the issue, everything works again. Ha!

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
I'd still be using the 6P if it wasn't for the absolutely awful battery life.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I would buy the 6P if it were reasonably priced. For a 1.5 year old phone, Google is asking for like $400 for a 32gb model on Project Fi. Why would a consumer spend that type of $ when they can either get a S7 on sale, OnePlus 3T/ZTE Axon (budget flagship), or take a chance with other flagship OEM products from 2016?

After all is said and done, I am looking at paying practically little out of pocket from selling my old Nexus 5X and going for the S7, brand new.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I am a big Nexus fan, and my Wife now uses my old Nexus 6P. It's a good phone, was a great phone at the time of launch of 2015, but now it's ok. Biggest issue is the inconsistent battery life. Sometimes is pretty good, other times it's just ok. But is never great on battery.

The display is not good outdoors.

For the price it launched at of $499, you got what you paid for.

Right now I have the iPhone 7 Plus, and I am no Apple fan whatsoever, I don't like iOS10 that much, but this 7 Plus runs circles around my old Nexus 6P, the battery life difference is unreal, really the 7 Plus gets SIGNIFICANTLY better battery life than the 6P, no comparison. And the 7 Plus display is so much better and brighter outdoors. And the overall smoothness of the OS is way nicer on iOS, and I am a big stock Android fan, I love stock. But the 6P isn't as smooth as I'd like it to be.

Last edited:

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
How awful?

What's battery life like on the Pixel? (Saw it in your signature)

Saturn1217's post (number 4) perfectly explained the battery life I had with the 6P.

Regarding the Pixel XL, In my usage, I get about 5 hours of SOT with about 15 - 20% at the end of the day. Perfect for me.

mjcharlton71

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2011
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
The current Mrs Charlton's now using my old 6P... she loves it, and it's leaps and bounds ahead of her old LG G4.

Wouldn't buy one right now, but if the price was right and I had no other choice, then I'd consider it.

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks, folks for the great feedbacks, batteries life seems to be the main issue. It mirrors the apple pre-6s phones, batteries are the weak point. Will be looking forward to the forthcoming pixel phones.

Cancelled
May 21, 2014
I bought my Nexus 6P about a year ago. Doing good on the battery life department: getting around 6 hours of SoT, but after all I'm running Pure Nexus + EX Kernel.

The worst thing about this handset are the noise cancelling mic related call quality issues that Google is ignoring.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
I bought my Nexus 6P about a year ago. Doing good on the battery life department: getting around 6 hours of SoT, but after all I'm running Pure Nexus + EX Kernel.

The worst thing about this handset are the noise cancelling mic related call quality issues that Google is ignoring.
Really? That's remarkable. Nexus 6P owner here. My SoT hovers between 3 and 3.5 hours. I'm running stock Android 7.1.1. Perhaps your custom kernel is to thank for your battery life?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.