Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
No. I can barely bring myself to put a case on my iPhone; I'm not bulking up my watch even more with a case. Particularly since the examples I've seen so far aren't to my liking. I don't really see a need for a screen protector, personally; I don't use one on my phone either.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Spigen has some out. Do you think apple watch will play well if you sweat with the case?

How sweat resistant is the stainless steel?

http://www.spigen.com/brands/apple/apple-watch.html

You can sweat on SS. Absolutely. The luxury sport watch industry would've gone belly up decades ago if you couldn't.

The only use I can see for cases or screen protectors on an Apple watch is if one works in a very rugged profession. Think construction. Or rodeo clown.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Case and screen protector? God no.

I put one on all my idevices. LOL

No. I can barely bring myself to put a case on my iPhone; I'm not bulking up my watch even more with a case. Particularly since the examples I've seen so far aren't to my liking. I don't really see a need for a screen protector, personally; I don't use one on my phone either.

uh I always put a screen protector and a case on my iphones and ipads.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I put one on all my idevices. LOL

uh I always put a screen protector and a case on my iphones and ipads.

Do you wear diamond earrings?

If you don't wear diamond earrings, you don't really need screen protectors. I wear diamond earrings, but I hate screen protectors so I trained myself not to let my earrings touch my phone screen.

jimcolyer

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2015
Lol - I thought the OP had missed the smiley in the title of this thread, then I realised it was a serious question!!!

Just out of interest, who in their right mind wears a condom on their Rolex / Bell ?

To take it to the extreme, can you get protective covers for the IMac or wall chargers ?

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012

If you don't wear diamond earrings, you don't really need screen protectors. I wear diamond earrings, but I hate screen protectors so I trained myself not to let my earrings touch my phone screen.

uh no.. I need to look professional LOL. screen protectors for iphones and ipads since they're not sapphire yet and im paranoid about scratches. Good point tho, since sapphire is only second to diamond, nothing will scratch it... for the :apple: watch for now at least.

if sapphire goes to the rest of the lineup I may reconsider the screen protector.

----------

Lol - I thought the OP had missed the smiley in the title of this thread, then I realised it was a serious question!!!

Just out of interest, who in their right mind wears a condom on their Rolex / Bell ?

To take it to the extreme, can you get protective covers for the IMac or wall chargers ?

Lulz... serious as a heart attack. now let's not get too crazy now.

Yeah, a lot of folks do. A lot of folks don't. Hence I assume why you asked the question in the first place.

thank u captain obvious. LOL

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
I think a lot of people getting an Apple Watch, who have not had experience in the past with large, thick metal watches, will be in for a surprise by how many things they will hit their watch against. Even starched shirt cuffs will eventually leave their mark on a highly polished SS watch case. The design of the Watch, while arresting, almost ensures that the crystal will take a beating, and chipped edges wouldn't surprise me, even with a sapphire crystal.

But that's part of the territory with a high-end watch, particularly one marketed as a sports/activity watch. The only way it will remain pristine is if you don't wear it.

Too bad Apple didn't team with Casio for a G-Shock version. I would have bought that in a heartbeat. Some of the cases out there will have to do for folks whose Watches will take a lot of abuse.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
is this a fact for stainless steel watches?

It is what makes the metal stainless. Stainless can rust, if you chip through the hardened layer, but this will likely not happen. I am willing to bet, if someone damages the SS enough to get it to rust, they will have damaged the internals to the point that they are not worried about the scratch.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
OP, how are you going to look professional with a bulky case on an Apple Watch Sport? It'll make it look like a Swatch.

I use a case on my iPhone. Because of drops and such. It's a Speck Candyshell Grip because I don't like bulky cases.

I can't imagine wanting to cover my Apple Watch unless (see previous rugged professions).

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
I think a lot of people getting an Apple Watch, who have not had experience in the past with large, thick metal watches, will be in for a surprise by how many things they will hit their watch against. Even starched shirt cuffs will eventually leave their mark on a highly polished SS watch case.

It seems like the OP is asking if sweat will damage the case... Not if there will be scratches. When I hear a question about sweat, and metal, I'm just assuming the question is how likely the product will rust. My answer to that is, you don't have to worry about rust with these. In order to get to the point where it will rust, you would have to do some sever damage to the watch, where rust would be the least of your worries.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I think a lot of people getting an Apple Watch, who have not had experience in the past with large, thick metal watches, will be in for a surprise by how many things they will hit their watch against.

I have had a big, heavy SS Fossil on my wrist for going on fifteen years now, and while the link band definitely shows signs of wear and tear, the watch itself is in pretty good shape (I haven't cleaned it in a while so it's kind of dirty :confused:). The display has a nearly-invisible scratch, from what I am not sure, but I've only banged it into something twice that I can recall and otherwise it's in pristine condition. It's not impossible to keep you watch in good working and visual order with a little care. Suffice to say my Fossil is not in a protective case today. ;)

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
It seems like the OP is asking if sweat will damage the case... Not if there will be scratches. When I hear a question about sweat, and metal, I'm just assuming the question is how likely the product will rust. My answer to that is, you don't have to worry about rust with these. In order to get to the point where it will rust, you would have to do some sever damage to the watch, where rust would be the least of your worries.

Fair point. These watches will never rust from sweat. Water intrusion would be more of a concern for folks who will equate water resistant with waterproof. A quick rinse under a faucet shouldn't be an issue and will clean off any salt.

As others have pointed out, a good SS watch can still look great after years, it just won't be perfect. Go to Timezone.com; daily wear and tear is known as "character." For folks who are OCD with their Apple products, that's going to be an issue.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
As of the iPhone 5, I have no delusions of keeping my Apple mobile devices longer than two years. As a result, I keep my devices in cases to keep them safe for when I inevitably resell them.

The only exception is usability. I'll try some sort of bumper on the Apple Watch, but if it seriously interferes with my ability to work with the watch, I'll go with the naked device.

hemolyzer

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2015
ONTARIO CANADA

If anyone here actually wore diamond earrings they'd probably get a screen protector and bumper for those too.

SixtyK

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
Nebraska
The jury is still out for me on a screen protector. If it is inconspicuous enough and necessary (I know nothing on the scratch resistance of Ion-X glass) I would consider it.

There is no way in hell I would put a case on any watch.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
As of the iPhone 5, I have no delusions of keeping my Apple mobile devices longer than two years. As a result, I keep my devices in cases to keep them safe for when I inevitably resell them.

The only exception is usability. I'll try some sort of bumper on the Apple Watch, but if it seriously interferes with my ability to work with the watch, I'll go with the naked device.

me too.. I always sell X versions of apple products. I keep them pristine to get high value for the sale.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I don't think it's necessary.

The only reason to do so is if you work a physically demanding job where it'll be knocked about, or are concerned about resale value in a years time.

Also, unlike a phone, you're less likely to drop it because it'll be strapped to your arm all the time or stored away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.