Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sleepingnemo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2023
I'm a video editor, and was considering the M1 Max Studio with 10C CPU, 32C GPU, 64GB RAM and 2TB. I wanted to see if anyone else on here regularly edits R3D footage (6K, 8K) and if what I'm considering is going to be smooth even with color grading and noise reduction?

I just saw the M1 Ultra vs M2 Max specs for the new MBPs and it gave me pause, but I also know the best machine is what's here now rather than chasing a possible M2 Max/Ultra Studio down the line.

I currently have a 2019 intel 16" MBP, so don't necessarily want to replace that - I'm looking at the Studio to replace my 2013 iMac.

hsiunghsiung

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2020
I am curious to this too, as I am waiting for the M2 ultra studio in case. I've heard mixed results from people owning diff flavors of m1 max/ultra studio. Enough to make me just wait it out in case. Every person's workflow is also diff, so it's harder to tell if the use case matches. If anyone does have R3d Raw (like from RED komodo or something), along with some flavor of m1 max/ultra studio, can you list your experience with some specs like:

1) m1 max studio spec with cores/ram amount that you have
2) R3d raw codec description (ELQ/LQ/MQ/HQ) and withhold from using proxies
3) If timeline has smooth playback when editing (I've heard NR usually makes it choppy), and at what framerate/quality (ex. 6k 50p timeline, 4k24p timeline, 1080p24p timeline, etc) you are using with that.
4) davinciResolve or FCPX or something else

I was hoping for smooth playback in 6k 50p timeline in FCPS/Resolve with R3D LQ from red komodo, but I can also deal with setting it to 1080p timeline in resolve, and changing back to 6k for export.

Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.