Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApplePersonFreak

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 23, 2016
I don’t understand. I never receive any free products or know any sellers personally or leave fake reviews and I still get banned. I have a feeling it’s because I’ve posted two reviews in one day and somehow the system flags it, but the community email address they provide is absolutely garbage since they never respond. Browsing online, it looks like I’m not the only one with this issue and it’s happened to tons of people but - if this has happened to any of you here have you had any luck appealing or getting your review status back?

I would love to leave Amazon but it provides convenience and I can get a lot of the products I need cheaper than what I would find elsewhere.

This is the response -
We apologize but Amazon has noticed some unusual reviewing activity on this account. As a result, all reviews submitted by this account have been removed and this account will no longer be able to contribute reviews and other content on Amazon. If you would like to learn more, please see our community guidelines. To contact us about this decision, please email community-help@amazon.com.
On the bright side.. at least I guess I can just buy what I need and not worry about reviewing anymore. *shrug* I know how much reviews help me determine to buy a product and want to do the same for others but I guess not..

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
I don’t understand. I never receive any free products or know any sellers personally or leave fake reviews and I still get banned. I have a feeling it’s because I’ve posted two reviews in one day and somehow the system flags it, but the community email address they provide is absolutely garbage since they never respond. Browsing online, it looks like I’m not the only one with this issue and it’s happened to tons of people but - if this has happened to any of you here have you had any luck appealing or getting your review status back?

I would love to leave Amazon but it provides convenience and I can get a lot of the products I need cheaper than what I would find elsewhere.

On the bright side.. at least I guess I can just buy what I need and not worry about reviewing anymore. *shrug* I know how much reviews help me determine to buy a product and want to do the same for others but I guess not..
Send an e-mail to Amazon and politely tell them the story and request that they evaluate what was done.

It's possible that this happened inadvertently or maybe even due to some automated system without a human involved.

Regardless, yes, appealing the decision should give you a good chance of having it reversed.

Amazon reviewing is a rats nest and has had so many issues over the past few years that it's caused many long time reviewers to simply stop reviewing. I posted my first review on Amazon back in 2011, but I seldom post a review these days.

Reactions: robotica and Huntn

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The algorithm detected some type of anomaly, likely through a bot code transcript.

You’d have to reach Amazons ‘back office’ of technical support, and they’re the only ones that reinstate your account for reviews.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
This happened to me a few years back, I got in touch and protested, they restored. I guess their system sometimes flags something and bans you from reviewing rather than a person doing it. Not that I was bothered about not being able to review, it was more that I had done nothing wrong and was annoyed they were suggesting I had.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
In the past you could send an e-mail to jeff@Amazon.com and it would receive attention from a special team or at least be handled differently (presumably with more likelihood to get the problem fixed).

They do give you an e-mail address to send your appeal to, in their message, so you might try sending the e-mail to both addresses, or separate e-mails with the same request depending on how you want to approach the problem.

I also suggest putting something in the subject line of the e-mail that will help quickly identify the problem you want addressed. Something like "you removed my reviewing abilities for no reason, please fix this!''.

ApplePersonFreak

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 23, 2016
This happened to me a few years back, I got in touch and protested, they restored. I guess their system sometimes flags something and bans you from reviewing rather than a person doing it. Not that I was bothered about not being able to review, it was more that I had done nothing wrong and was annoyed they were suggesting I had.
How many times did you have to reach out? So far no response but I found another email and sent them an email too. Here’s to hoping.

elbert

Suspended
Jun 17, 2018

Does your ability to review products on Amazon the primary purpose of doing business with them?

Most would just use it buy stuff and make reviewing a part of their precious time

ApplePersonFreak

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 23, 2016
Does your ability to review products on Amazon the primary purpose of doing business with them?

Most would just use it buy stuff and make reviewing a part of their precious time
Nope. Just as an average person reviewing products so that it’d make someone’s purchase decision easier. But sometimes it’s just out of boredom too where I’ll go down the list and submit reviews and I guess that flags the system.

Reactions: Ruggy

ApplePersonFreak

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 23, 2016
Whoa… I didn’t expect to receive a response this quickly, but lets see if it’s true since it seems to be automated.

23E55D08-4E41-4323-A882-44EADBB8D927.jpeg

ETA: Yep, looks like my reviewing capabilities are back! Going to not review anything again at this point.. 🤪

Last edited:

50jeanneee

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2022
NYS

This is happening to me also. One day I can leave a 5 star review then a week later I am banned. I don't understand why. I have asked for what I specifically did to be banned and get no answers. Tried calling but they will not connect me to that banning department. Google this problem and you will see many people are being banned and getting very frustrated. They just ban for no reason. I think its a robot doing the replies/bans.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
This is happening to me also. One day I can leave a 5 star review then a week later I am banned. I don't understand why.
You’re not being moderated by a specific Amazon employee, it’s all conducted through Amazon ‘bot algorithms’. It’s just a flaw in their system somehow where you might’ve said a certain word, phrase or even left multiple reviews where it triggered to ban you.

I have asked for what I specifically did to be banned and get no answers.
Because no Amazon employee is going to be able to give you a direct answer, being they themselves have no idea what would have triggered the ban.

Tried calling but they will not connect me to that banning department.
There is no ‘banning department’, there’s a back Office that is involved in technical support with troubleshooting the website, but even then, you wouldn’t be able to get a hold of anybody for something like this. Your best effort would actually be to email customer service, they then forward your information/complaint to the back office for review, which they are the only ones that can remove the ban.

Google this problem and you will see many people are being banned and getting very frustrated.
I can understand the frustration, as well as Amazon does, and this is something that they need to re-code with how the bots parse through reviews, exactly what triggers the algorithm for any anomalies.

They just ban for no reason.
There is no ‘they’. I just want to reiterate once more, it’s a computer generated coding program that uses a bot that is programmed to look for specifics when a user writes a review. That’s it.

I think its a robot doing the replies/bans.
You’re finally on the right track here Jean.:D

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JahBoolean

50jeanneee

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2022
NYS
You’re not being moderated by a specific Amazon employee, it’s all conducted through Amazon ‘bot algorithms’. It’s just a flaw in their system somehow where you might’ve said a certain word, phrase or even left multiple reviews where it triggered to ban you.

Because no Amazon employee is going to be able to give you a direct answer, being they themselves have no idea what would have triggered the ban.

There is no ‘banning department’, there’s a back Office that is involved in technical support with troubleshooting the website, but even then, you wouldn’t be able to get a hold of anybody for something like this. Your best effort would actually be to email customer service, they then forward your information/complaint to the back office for review, which they are the only ones that can remove the ban.

I can understand the frustration, as well as Amazon does, and this is something that they need to re-code with how the bots parse through reviews, exactly what triggers the algorithm for any anomalies.

There is no ‘they’. I just want to reiterate once more, it’s a computer generated coding program that uses a bot that is programmed to look for specifics when a user writes a review. That’s it.

You’re finally on the right track here Jean.:D
I should have added all I did this last ban, on yesterday was click on the 5 star and received the ban notification immediately. No more will I waste my time in trying to fix it. Way back when I spoke to a customer rep she told me that I must have posted something to get banned, but would not direct me to a supervisor or anyone. So now, I just won't waste my time. It's my money, but its their loss for being a customer whom does like amazon and when I do get to speak to someone all is resolved except this BAN b.s. lol

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
I should have added all I did this last ban, on yesterday was click on the 5 star and received the ban notification immediately. No more will I waste my time in trying to fix it. Way back when I spoke to a customer rep she told me that I must have posted something to get banned, but would not direct me to a supervisor or anyone. So now, I just won't waste my time. It's my money, but its their loss for being a customer whom does like amazon and when I do get to speak to someone all is resolved except this BAN b.s. lol
It is hard to believe that a ban on reviewing was implemented based on only that, and if that is the case then it will easily be resolved once you simply bring it to the attention of the correct group at Amazon.

If you look at the posts from the OP here you will see that the ban was reversed once the review moderation team was made aware of what had happened.

I really suggest that you follow the same steps suggested above and I am confident that unless there is more to it, the ban will be removed. Even if you have no intention or rating or reviewing products on Amazon in the future, it will provide some closure to the matter and not leave you with quite the same bad feeling, recognizing that it is bad enough to have this happen without reasonable basis.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Right, you didn’t do anything nefarious, as I said, it’s just bad code that their software developers are using that somehow targeted you, which could’ve been based on multiple tendencies that was out of your control.

And Amazon should be aware of these types of instances happening and the customer should report them, that way they can data log of having a trail of why this is happening to people that are leaving honest, sincere reviews. Because this flaw creates confusion for the customer and when a customer calls the Amazon customer service representative, they have no idea why that’s happening.

And you’re right, customers will take this personally and they’re not going to spend their money on Amazon if they feel that they’re being scrutinized for something they didn’t do wrong, which is a natural reaction. Amazon needs to go back and reconfigure their code of how these algorithms detects anomalies.

Jonmichael02148

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2022
This just happened to me. I've read their guidelines 100x & I've done nothing wrong. I can't get anyone to listen but not giving up. I've created a group where people like us can go to get support & to compare notes so as to get to the bottom of this mess. There's strength in numbers & we need to come together and fight back!

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
. . . I can't get anyone to listen . . .
Follow the steps I posted earlier (repeated below). If you have not violated their rules then you will be reinstated. You might have to try a couple of times due to the volume of e-mails they receive, but it will work. Take particular note of my suggestion that you identify the problem on your subject line of the e-mail in a way that will make your problem clear, and be polite.

In the past you could send an e-mail to jeff@Amazon.com and it would receive attention from a special team or at least be handled differently (presumably with more likelihood to get the problem fixed).

They do give you an e-mail address to send your appeal to, in their message, so you might try sending the e-mail to both addresses, or separate e-mails with the same request depending on how you want to approach the problem.

I also suggest putting something in the subject line of the e-mail that will help quickly identify the problem you want addressed. Something like "you removed my reviewing abilities for no reason, please fix this!''.

kitd56

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2022
I have reviewed many products for Amazon (that I purchased/not for compensation). Never had a problem until this past month when I received that form letter posted here already (suspicious activity, reviews deleted). After two chats and several e-mails, I received the other form letter (privileges restored, wait 24 hours). First review I made after this - BAM! They refuse to post it because they say it violates their guidelines. But I have reviewed both their guidelines as well as my content over and over. And of course, they won't (can't?) identify which guideline they are referencing. So - I'm tired of fighting. It's a huge black eye for Amazon, and I hope they will fix it soon, but clearly this is an ongoing problem. It's a shame because a lot of people rely on Amazon reviews.

Reactions: catherinetodd

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have reviewed many products for Amazon (that I purchased/not for compensation). Never had a problem until this past month when I received that form letter posted here already (suspicious activity, reviews deleted). After two chats and several e-mails, I received the other form letter (privileges restored, wait 24 hours). First review I made after this - BAM! They refuse to post it because they say it violates their guidelines. But I have reviewed both their guidelines as well as my content over and over. And of course, they won't (can't?) identify which guideline they are referencing. So - I'm tired of fighting. It's a huge black eye for Amazon, and I hope they will fix it soon, but clearly this is an ongoing problem. It's a shame because a lot of people rely on Amazon reviews.
From my understanding, there are trigger words/phrases, maybe multiple reviews posted in a very short time that are being used that somehow are ‘flagging’ these reviews that are detected by Amazon’s algorithm. And then there’s no proper recourse for those who are affected by their reviews being removed who endured no wrong doing.

I think Amazon is becoming far more strict with the review process in terms of what users post and how frequent, because of ‘spammers/bots’ that are becoming a larger problem all the time, especially within the last two years.

in these types of instances, there just isn’t much you can do, because there’s no one directly that you can talk to specifically to address your problem, because those employees who work in the ‘back office’, who don’t converse with customers.

Reactions: changshafu

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Perhaps there was a time when people could rely on Amazon reviews, but now it seems that the only time when one can really rely on the reviews is when they're overwhelmingly negative.

There's really no way for a shopper to know which reviewers are reliable, whether the review has experience with similar products from other manufacturers, how inflated the number of positive reviews are, or even if the reviews are "real".

Last edited:

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I've had a few reviews "rejected" in the past with no specific reason, but banning seems extreme. I'm still in disbelief that Amazon dicontinued allowing replies to reviews. That was a really stupid decision. Not only because it prevents the manufacturer from defending themselves against unfair criticism, false info, and libel, but there's been many times where I see a review where I know the solution to the person's problem, but - nope - can't post replies anymore, so I can't help them.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
....I'm still in disbelief that Amazon dicontinued allowing replies to reviews.....
Comments to reviews were a very useful feature to allow reviewers to respond to questions from others on Amazon, and engage in a dialogue, and I also miss having that capability. Amazon also formerly had a whole community of forums where discussions took place on a wide variety of topics. Those are gone now as well.

I don't know why they made that decision but I can sympathize with the difficulty just in policing reviews, never mind comments and other discussions on their website. Reviews have lost much of their credibility over the past few years and like anything online its practically impossible to separate the conscientious reviews from the fakes. Its taken the enjoyment from reviewing and as a result many long time and high quality reviewers have stopped posting reviews on Amazon.

I suppose that Amazon felt that managing those features was not worth the cost and hassle. They did keep the reviews, of course, warts and all. And they continue to fight the battle of policing the reviews, thus the problems such as the OP here experience where Amazon throws out a good reviewer and getting reinstated is very difficult. There is very little transparency with how Amazon does these things although if you are persistent you can get the attention of someone with one of their specialized teams who will help sort things out. It takes a lot of effort.

changshafu

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2022
Sod Off, New Hampshire
Oh, the hours and hours I have wasted on this sh*te.

Briefly: been amazon prime member since 2003; had written 5,000 reviews (which I thought was a bit high - but that was a number given to me) and had a pretty decent position in however reviewers are rated. (I’ve been trying to forget all this. Really.)

I have never received a penny or a product from any vendor on amazon (or anywhere else .)

In January or so (not gonna look at my large file on the history of this), I innocently wrote a review for a product that I, of course, had bought and used. I liked writing reviews because I love writing and I always tried to make my reviews entertaining but helpful, since I used to rely so heavily on reviews when I was deciding whether to buy or not.

So, on that fateful day back in January, (or whenever) I got my first “something suspicious in your account…..until we blah blah blah…. you can’t review on amazon anymore.”

I took it very personally. I also began a two or three month journey of emailing or calling whoever I was told to email or call, or whoever I could think of to do the same. In return, I got form letter responses and/or directions to chase my tail down one black hole after another.

I finally got an email “We’ve reviewed your account and there’s nothing fishy going on. Go on, you crazy kid, and go back to your reviewing ways.” I’m paraphrasing of course. Went to post a review and ,of course, same angry red lined box - “no reviews for you, Missy. If you have questions, fill out this form(which you’ve already done two or three times) and send it to amazoncircularfile@hahaha.com.”

Again, I filled out form, wrote emails, made phone calls - nothing.

I also am not allowed to ask questions about products I might be interested in buying. You know what I mean - questions about the fabric of a dress for example. If I try, I get another red lined box telling me that “questions have to conform to community guidelines and your question of “Can you tell me if thie fabric of this dress is blah blah blah…” didn’t adhere to community guidelines so you can’t even ask a question.”

In the meantime, I get many emails weekly from vendors asking me to please post a review of their product that I’ve bought; they’re a small business, reviews mean so much, etc. And I feel like this is where the bots collide. If i’ve been banned from reviewing,why does amazon pass along these requests for me to review by vendors? Don’t they know I’m some sort of nefarious hosebag who can’t be trusted to write five sentences about something I bought for one of my children?

Sorry to be so vague. My father in laws funeral is tomorrow, I feel like our dogs saved up all their shedded hair for months and now have dumped it on our bed and I don’t want to go back and relive all the pointless black holes I’ve been sent down and the continuous trashing of what I thought was a little more then a minor contribution to other potential buyers, as I was a very passionate review reader, myself.

So even though I’ve been cleared - I haven’t been and even though I receive weekly requests from vendors to review a product Ive purchased - I can’t help them because I can no longer review anyones product on amazon.

Sorry to sound so stupid. It’s the dog hair.

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
Oh, the hours and hours I have wasted on this sh*te.

Briefly: been amazon prime member since 2003; had written 5,000 reviews (which I thought was a bit high - but that was a number given to me) and had a pretty decent position in however reviewers are rated. (I’ve been trying to forget all this. Really.)

I have never received a penny or a product from any vendor on amazon (or anywhere else .)

In January or so (not gonna look at my large file on the history of this), I innocently wrote a review for a product that I, of course, had bought and used. I liked writing reviews because I love writing and I always tried to make my reviews entertaining but helpful, since I used to rely so heavily on reviews when I was deciding whether to buy or not.

So, on that fateful day back in January, (or whenever) I got my first “something suspicious in your account…..until we blah blah blah…. you can’t review on amazon anymore.”

I took it very personally. I also began a two or three month journey of emailing or calling whoever I was told to email or call, or whoever I could think of to do the same. In return, I got form letter responses and/or directions to chase my tail down one black hole after another.

I finally got an email “We’ve reviewed your account and there’s nothing fishy going on. Go on, you crazy kid, and go back to your reviewing ways.” I’m paraphrasing of course. Went to post a review and ,of course, same angry red lined box - “no reviews for you, Missy. If you have questions, fill out this form(which you’ve already done two or three times) and send it to amazoncircularfile@hahaha.com.”

Again, I filled out form, wrote emails, made phone calls - nothing.

I also am not allowed to ask questions about products I might be interested in buying. You know what I mean - questions about the fabric of a dress for example. If I try, I get another red lined box telling me that “questions have to conform to community guidelines and your question of “Can you tell me if thie fabric of this dress is blah blah blah…” didn’t adhere to community guidelines so you can’t even ask a question.”

In the meantime, I get many emails weekly from vendors asking me to please post a review of their product that I’ve bought; they’re a small business, reviews mean so much, etc. And I feel like this is where the bots collide. If i’ve been banned from reviewing,why does amazon pass along these requests for me to review by vendors? Don’t they know I’m some sort of nefarious hosebag who can’t be trusted to write five sentences about something I bought for one of my children?

Sorry to be so vague. My father in laws funeral is tomorrow, I feel like our dogs saved up all their shedded hair for months and now have dumped it on our bed and I don’t want to go back and relive all the pointless black holes I’ve been sent down and the continuous trashing of what I thought was a little more then a minor contribution to other potential buyers, as I was a very passionate review reader, myself.

So even though I’ve been cleared - I haven’t been and even though I receive weekly requests from vendors to review a product Ive purchased - I can’t help them because I can no longer review anyones product on amazon.

Sorry to sound so stupid. It’s the dog hair.
I am so sorry for you especially as you sound like the kind of reviewer I would listen too.
I have, on occasion, looked up reviews for a product in several countries. It might sound a bit over the top and I don't do it often, but France doesn't have so many reviews and there will often be many more in the USA or the UK but also using the almost instant page translation we have on the Mac these days, I can look up reviews in Germany, Holland etc (and by the way, my Amazon account works anywhere and I can often get items quicker from Germany than from up the road. Sometimes it's even cheaper to buy things in the USA and import them than buying them up the road) I am getting to the point, really.
So I'll see a review that says something like ' I bought this for my husband' and then tells a very specific little story and I'll see exactly the same story with identical details on the USA site, the UK site, word for word and translated into French or German.
I think we all know a lot of Amazon reviews are fake. A lot of them are really easy to spot but I don't think they do a very good job of dealing with the industrial scale of fakery that's going on.
I have had reviews banned and it's an odd thing. I used to include English on the French site because people do find it useful, but if I use English these days it gets blocked straight away so who knows what you might be saying that's causing trouble?
I hope you get it sorted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.