Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SD449

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
I brought a Macbook from John Lewis for £800 on Sunday and after todays news I am considering returning it, is anyone else?

I then have the issue of if I go for the 256gb Air or 128gb Pro at £1169 with the free Beats, any thoughts?

Currently have 200gb of free space

Fozziebear40

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
Newton-le-Willows, England
I think they have been £800 because this news has been coming. They were £1,249 and refurbs are still £1,049 from Apple so I am seriously considering one as they are rapidly becoming out of stock. If you want the smallest, lightest, cheapest Apple laptop, keep it.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
I brought a Macbook from John Lewis for £800 on Sunday and after todays news I am considering returning it, is anyone else?

I hope lots of people think this way, and then the refurb and used market prices will drop, and I might get a maxed out one.

I fear the opposite may be the case and prices will rise as people get one while they can. Like happened with the 17” MBP when they were discontinued.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Yes, it's sad day but I guess without a redesign, it was impossible to give it the important T2 security chip & touch ID ALONG with newer generation keyboards and of course the new scissor keyboard coming late this year which to many is very very important!

In a positive light, the Mac line up is less confusing now AND it's lovely that SSD upgrade options are now cheaper. It's actually a possibility that I can have a 2TB option price wise for my next Mac and that's a 2020 resigned MacBook Pro 13" or 14" whatever it will be :) :) :)

The MacBook 12" was a revolution in design and signed Apple's great design excitement as the years before it got rather boring with horrible iPhone 6 and 6S designs and boring iPad design and this suddenly this lil beauty appeared - tech sites called it a glimpse into the future and Apple started giving beautiful design & excitement all over again - AirPods, Apple TV with App store, iPhone X, 2018 iPad Pro, Apple TV 4K etc. Plus a finless design.

Lil MacBook you were the chicest, classiest girl around and you won't be forgotten! I'm sure that you'll return one day in full ARM glory!

And Apple, you tragic people bringing back the old 'Air' name. I thought that you always talk about living in the moment & future??? Hmmmmmm.

spiderpumpkin

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2014
I love the fanless MacBook. One thing I don't like about the MacBook Air or Pro are the fans.

I've had my 2017 MacBook for almost 2 years and I think it should meet my laptop needs for at least another 3 years. My keyboard hasn't had any problems and the battery is still at 85%. I still have another year on AppleCare plus and if my battery drops below 80% then I'll get a new battery with that.

Reactions: petsk

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Yes, it's sad day but I guess without a redesign, it was impossible to give it the important T2 security chip & touch ID ALONG with newer generation keyboards and of course the new scissor keyboard coming late this year which to many is very very important!

In a positive light, the Mac line up is less confusing now AND it's lovely that SSD upgrade options are now cheaper. It's actually a possibility that I can have a 2TB option price wise for my next Mac and that's a 2020 resigned MacBook Pro 13" or 14" whatever it will be :) :) :)

The MacBook 12" was a revolution in design and signed Apple's great design excitement as the years before it got rather boring with horrible iPhone 6 and 6S designs and boring iPad design and this suddenly this lil beauty appeared - tech sites called it a glimpse into the future and Apple started giving beautiful design & excitement all over again - AirPods, Apple TV with App store, iPhone X, 2018 iPad Pro, Apple TV 4K etc. Plus a finless design.

Lil MacBook you were the chicest, classiest girl around and you won't be forgotten! I'm sure that you'll return one day in full ARM glory!

And Apple, you tragic people bringing back the old 'Air' name. I thought that you always talk about living in the moment & future??? Hmmmmmm.
Well, they did abandon the MacBook name for 5 years...the Air has been updated every year except 2016.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Well, they did abandon the MacBook name for 5 years...the Air has been updated every year except 2016.
True but the Air has been an embarrassment since 2011. Those awful silver bezels with the worst sounding tinny speakers that you've ever heard, non retina screen and big price. Damn, I hate that computer - and i'm the biggest Apple fan!!!

JamesTheMac

Cancelled
Mar 10, 2019
why return it? They are fantastic little machines. The form factor and weight are perfect for travelling.

The only reason I could see for returning is if the price suddenly dropped in the next few days. But I think there is still a lot of love for this size machine.

Reactions: msp3 and Arcade

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013

I then have the issue of if I go for the 256gb Air or 128gb Pro at £1169 with the free Beats, any thoughts?

Currently have 200gb of free space
I have a 2016 MB 12” and love it (replacement for my 2013 MB Pro).

You really need to decide what your priorities are?

If you want the most portable, lightest Mac laptop then the MB 12” is a much better choice vs Air or Pro.

for casual use specially, the form factor and size of 12” is ideal and definitely superior to Air.

If however you require more powerful machine then Pro or Air.(again in this scenario you need to decide about size/weight/portability vs performance based on your needs.

Choosing between base 128GB Pro vs 256GB Air is a tricky one. I’d probably take Pro 128GB vs Air 256 if I have to choose between those two.

Reactions: SD449

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Regardless of apple killing the Macbook, does your current machine fail to do what you want it too, or is it too small?

the MBA is a tad larger and you get a pair of headphones, but your spending more money - £369 more. Is that price for the 128GB model? Personally, I'd avoid any laptop that comes with 128GB that seems too small for current and long term usage but that's just me. Why not keep the MacBook and take the £369 and buy yourself a nice set of headphones.

Reactions: Neodym and SD449

SD449

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
Regardless of apple killing the Macbook, does your current machine fail to do what you want it too, or is it too small?

the MBA is a tad larger and you get a pair of headphones, but your spending more money - £369 more. Is that price for the 128GB model? Personally, I'd avoid any laptop that comes with 128GB that seems too small for current and long term usage but that's just me. Why not keep the MacBook and take the £369 and buy yourself a nice set of headphones.

The £1169 is for the 256 Air, the 128gb would be £989

I appreciate I could spend the additional £189-£369 on headphones etc, but wonder home much better the air or pro would be long term having replaced a 2010/11 Core 2 Due Air.

At last weeks prices, with no offer or spec bump Im still happy with my choice, however not that's happened I am on the fence.

SD449

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
Now the 2018 128gb Air is £849 in the Apple Refurb Store

SD449

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
Went with the Pro and so far liking it, especially the touch bar and Touch ID

Slightly missing the quietness of the fan less MacBook though

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
TBH I'm still rocking my 2015 base model.

Im a little disappointed, the 12" was a move in a different direction and size and the only downsides were the slower processors and the single USB C.

What I don't understand is why Apple remade the 13" air again its so similar in spec as the MacBook but its also so similar in size to the 13" MacBook pro.

I dont know why they didn't put the air processor in the 12" give it 2 TB3 ports and kept it.

Although the line up makes more sense the low low end doesnt make much sense to me. The £200 to buy the MBP over the air is worth it all day long. The MBA is almost indistinguishable in size and weight to the MBP and in all honesty there is no reason to buy the air.

The MacBook is significantly smaller and being a power user I have my iMacs at the desk and the MacBook for the road for the one or two edits and data transfer....

Seems an odd move but maybe the additions I mention weren't possible. The MacBooks logic board is the same size as an iPhone 5S so maybe the TB3 bus and the processor needs the extra space and thermal headroom.

I just love the 12" there is no penalty to taking it anywhere as its so lite, it has a full fat mac os so all my adobe apps work unlike the iPad pro.

After using airs and MacBooks for years i dont really like the slab design of the MBP the edges are quite sharp and the tapered nature of the MacBook and air offer a more comfortable solution.

Maybe we shall see an ARM version.

RIP MB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.