Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
I’ve had my 11 Pro Max since launch day, and the 12 Pro Max is much more different than I expected. The biggest things that I’m disappointed about are the weight, sharp edges, and camera bump.

The 11 PM was already a brick compared to every other iPhone model, but man the 12 PM takes it to another level. I know that technically the 12 PM is thinner, but with the squared edges and the massive camera bump it feels way bigger than it actually is IMO. I was expecting at least a slight chamfer to the edges (like the iPhone 5S), and without it the edges are harsh in the hand.

I’m torn because I love the new design visually and love having the new processor, camera, etc, but I just can’t shake the feeling that my 11 PM just feels sleeker.

Anyone else?

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I’ve had my 11 Pro Max since launch day, and the 12 Pro Max is much more different than I expected. The biggest things that I’m disappointed about are the weight, sharp edges, and camera bump.

The 11 PM was already a brick compared to every other iPhone model, but man the 12 PM takes it to another level. I know that technically the 12 PM is thinner, but with the squared edges and the massive camera bump it feels way bigger than it actually is IMO. I was expecting at least a slight chamfer to the edges (like the iPhone 5S), and without it the edges are harsh in the hand.

I’m torn because I love the new design visually and love having the new processor, camera, etc, but I just can’t shake the feeling that my 11 PM just feels sleeker.

Anyone else?

This is something I wondered about from the very onset, those sharp edges are a step back in terms of ergonomics but look great in terms of visual aesthetic.

Are you not able to find a slim case with rounded edges to put your 12 Pro Max in?

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Have both here now, got the 12PM yesterday.

Sharp edges 100% agree with and surprised me the most. I'd heard a few comments about this but dismissed it until I'd put the case on (Apple silicone).

It's terribly uncomfortable, especially compared to the 11PM with Apple silicone case.

Why is this? Is there some sort of threshold where the weight pushes it into your palm making it cross the line between comfortable to not so?

It's weird and the first phone I've ever had that I instantly didn't like holding.

It is heavy yes, and feel heavier than the 11PM. There's a guy above saying it feels lighter. It's the internet. It is actually heavier so yes being an incredibly calibrated human you'll notice extra weight to some extent - there's no trickery with weight distribution here to throw you off.

I think maybe it is thinnier with cases on. Hard to tell visually, I guess you need the case measurements to know ultimately here. Not a selling point either way when it's so close.

Camera is a little better in low light, took a few last night and the colours and detail are definitely a bit better. Not expecting fireworks during the day now though after seeing reviews. Will play around there this afternoon.

Larger screen? Thought this would be awesome but sadly it doesn't feel an upgrade. The 11PM is just too good a phone I think and only getting rid of the notch at the top will truly bring the screens to life. We've gotten used to them now, but removing them will be a winner.

My other main issue is the screen feels horrible to scroll against for some reason. Extra friction on my fingers. What is that and does it stop after getting worn down? Can't remember this experience on a phone before either.

So my thing now is, can I find someone with my same experience that I trust, who has then gone on to find the 12PM comfortable just by getting used to it.

Keeping an eye on the forum over the week to see. Maybe a case with rounder edges would do it, but have to be careful about adding extra weight.

Haven't got a 5G card yet so that could be a winner, though not seeing anyone get great speeds yet.

And the speakers are are better it seems - I actually do leave the speakers on while playing things like wind sounds etc haha! There is a clarity, a crispness that's actually noticeable side by side with the 11PM. Which is great because the 11PM speakers are pretty decent for a phone.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
It’s fine for me and if anything feels easier to use one handed. The extra width finally makes it feel like an iPhone+ model with a home button (screen real estate wise). Other than that to me it’s the same as before.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
Have both here now, got the 12PM yesterday.

Sharp edges 100% agree with and surprised me the most. I'd heard a few comments about this but dismissed it until I'd put the case on (Apple silicone).

It's terribly uncomfortable, especially compared to the 11PM with Apple silicone case.

Why is this? Is there some sort of threshold where the weight pushes it into your palm making it cross the line between comfortable to not so?

It's weird and the first phone I've ever had that I instantly didn't like holding.

It is heavy yes, and feel heavier than the 11PM. There's a guy above saying it feels lighter. It's the internet. It is actually heavier so yes being an incredibly calibrated human you'll notice extra weight to some extent - there's no trickery with weight distribution here to throw you off.

I think maybe it is thinnier with cases on. Hard to tell visually, I guess you need the case measurements to know ultimately here. Not a selling point either way when it's so close.

Camera is a little better in low light, took a few last night and the colours and detail are definitely a bit better. Not expecting fireworks during the day now though after seeing reviews. Will play around there this afternoon.

Larger screen? Thought this would be awesome but sadly it doesn't feel an upgrade. The 11PM is just too good a phone I think and only getting rid of the notch at the top will truly bring the screens to life. We've gotten used to them now, but removing them will be a winner.

My other main issue is the screen feels horrible to scroll against for some reason. Extra friction on my fingers. What is that and does it stop after getting worn down? Can't remember this experience on a phone before either.

So my thing now is, can I find someone with my same experience that I trust, who has then gone on to find the 12PM comfortable just by getting used to it.

Keeping an eye on the forum over the week to see. Maybe a case with rounder edges would do it, but have to be careful about adding extra weight.

Haven't got a 5G card yet so that could be a winner, though not seeing anyone get great speeds yet.

And the speakers are are better it seems - I actually do leave the speakers on while playing things like wind sounds etc haha! There is a clarity, a crispness that's actually noticeable side by side with the 11PM. Which is great because the 11PM speakers are pretty decent for a phone.

that screen friction you’re referring to, I felt with the 11PM too. If anything I’m feeling it less on this years phone. That’s just like the ultra strong oleophpbic coating that’ll wear down after about a week of use.

Reactions: TJ82

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
I agree the sharp edges are horrible, but I will probably just keep it because they aren’t going to change the design for another few years so may as well get on board now.

Reactions: CVUSA

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
that screen friction you’re referring to, I felt with the 11PM too. If anything I’m feeling it less on this years phone. That’s just like the ultra strong oleophpbic coating that’ll wear down after about a week of use.

Ah perfect thanks!

I bought the 11PM second hand this summer, was in great condition though so think of it as new. That's why I'm not feeling it then. You really notice these things when they're side by side. Okay so that's one problem that will fix itself, which is great!

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I’m enjoying mine so far and camera is certainly better in basically all areas. Night mode and portrait mode is a good improvement now it covers all cameras and more ram is useful although not a deal breaker.

macman01101

macrumors regular
May 2, 2005
I ordered a 12pm 256GB and just returned it for many of the same reasons others have mentioned.

Currently have an 11pm, always get a new phone day 1 every year, etc.

The screen is fantastic, but more and more this year (especially in this COVID era) I use my phone one handed. The 12pm is *just* over the edge of being too big. It’s hard to reach control center, unwieldy to try to jockey and reposition in one hand.

It does feel a tad lighter, which is weird because it’s heavier, and the squared edges are not as comfortable to hold.

It’s the best at what it is, it’s just not a device I want to carry around day to day.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I ordered a 12pm 256GB and just returned it for many of the same reasons others have mentioned.

Currently have an 11pm, always get a new phone day 1 every year, etc.

The screen is fantastic, but more and more this year (especially in this COVID era) I use my phone one handed. The 12pm is *just* over the edge of being too big. It’s hard to reach control center, unwieldy to try to jockey and reposition in one hand.

It does feel a tad lighter, which is weird because it’s heavier, and the squared edges are not as comfortable to hold.

It’s the best at what it is, it’s just not a device I want to carry around day to day.
Thats what i have posted many times. The 11 pro Max was the limit in terms of size and weight for me. I did order the 12 Pro Max 12 but after thinking about it, I tried to cancel the order but it had already gone to preparing to ship and so when it arrived on friday, I didn't even open it. I just returned it.
It would have been better if Apple had kept to 6.5" and reduced the actual size of the phone.

Corsig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
I'm having crazy problems typing on the 12 PM. My finger keeps hitting the number button. Didn't have this on the 11PM

veroguru

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2017
Found the 12PM edges absolutely horrible and outright dangerous! :mad: However, today I found this fix. Rather than buying a leather case I'm using leather glove. It's a Paul Smith glove, but I'm sure any glove will work. Just find the one that works for you. Try it! I'm sure you'll love it!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-15 at 16.54.59.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-15 at 16.54.59.png
    809.8 KB · Views: 182
  • Screenshot 2020-11-15 at 16.55.12.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-15 at 16.55.12.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 163

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Not sure why everyone’s saying it’s heavier. The website is clear that it weighs exactly the same as the 11PM

Not exactly the same, but very similar actually. Just 4g in it for me. In real world usage it will be between 9g to 12g for most users with the official silicone cases (true weights, just weighed the 11PM v 12PM).

Scale weights
222g v 226g naked
247g v 259g cased

4.8% gain for me.

LongWayHome

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
Sadly, since the first time iPhones were released, I think I'm going to return my 12 Pro Max and go back to the 11 Pro Max. I have large hands, but the edges of the phone make it uncomfortable to hold, even with a case on. I also am not a fan of MagSafe. I realize that's the future and that I don't have to use it, but its one of the features of this years phones. Its a complete waste and one of the more bizarre things apple has ever released in my opinion.

Anyway, its a nice phone, but when I pick up my 11 Pro Max I'm like "Oh you feel so much better to hold" and that for me is enough to return the 12 Pro Max. I'm gonna give it another few days, but as of now I'm leaning towards returning it.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
Tough call. I came from a Pixel 4XL so no-brainer for me. If I was on 11 Pro Max, I'd have skipped this gen.

zekkragnos

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Am I the only one who loves the design?! Lol I came from the 11PM and I absolutely love the 12PM. I think it’s miles better to hold since I have a much better grip. I hope they don’t change the design for a while. But to each their own, it’s not really much of a big update from the 11PM but definitely happy with my purchase.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Reading these replies, it's clear the 12 PM is going to be incredibly polarizing iPhone compared to the 11 PM.

I'm coming from an 8 Plus, so I'm fully aware of what it feels like to use an iPhone with rounded edges for many years.

Simply put, I prefer the flat edges of the 12 PM. It feels more natural to grip the edges as I remove it from a front pocket or lift it off a flat surface. I also use my 12 PM with two hands in about 95% of my usage. For that reason, I am never holding my device with my hand digging into the sides of the device. Also, in the instances where I do use the 12 PM with one hand on-the-go, my right hand barely makes contact with the right edge. Honestly I think the only instance where the flat edge would play a factor in terms of ergonomics would be with the 12 Mini as that's primarily a one-handed device that you would probably hold close in your palm.

I do understand however how the flat edges could make the device simply feel much larger than the 11 PM even though it barely is taller and is actually thinner and the same width. Even though I never used an 11 PM, I suspect the thinner 12 PM is more comfortable to handle with respect to weight distribution and more pocketable for that reason too.

I'm also awaiting an Otofly silicone case arriving tomorrow which I'm sure will only make this device even easier to navigate in my hand/hands.

Judging from reviews, the 12 PM offers a superior modem and speakers, more RAM, and 5G speeds compared to the 11 PM.

Reactions: dotzero123

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
This is something I wondered about from the very onset, those sharp edges are a step back in terms of ergonomics but look great in terms of visual aesthetic.

Are you not able to find a slim case with rounded edges to put your 12 Pro Max in?
I don’t use phone cases 99.9% of the time

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.