Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ATEspo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Just trying to figure out why I was denied pre-approval for an iPhone 11 Pro.
I tried to get pre-approval for a 512gb 11 Pro with Apple iPhone Upgrade Program. My credit score is an 814, I am using my AmEx to pay the monthly payments and upgrading on AT&T (I do not owe AT&T or Apple for my current iPhone X, its paid off).

I do have credit freezes on all 3 bureaus (Equifax, Experian and TransUnion), I lifted the freeze on Experian and TransUnion (not Equifax) - I was under the impression Citizens checks TransUnion & Experian but not Equifax.

Anyone else denied for pre-approval? Were you told WHY you were denied? I am thinking about lifting the freeze on Experian today and trying again to see if that is the issue...

I'm kinda bummed but its not the end of the world, I don't NEED a new phone on the day of release, so if I cant' get approved now, I will wait.
[doublepost=1568298681][/doublepost]YEP, it was the freeze on Equifax that was holding me up. I was approved after lifting the freeze on Equifax.
Sorry for the thread, but this might help some people out who have freezes on all 3 credit bureaus.

Unfreeze them all to get approval.

ATEspo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
I had the exact same thing happen with the Equifax freeze. A quick "WTF??!" moment followed by the "Duh" moment.

Yep, I haven't had to lift a freeze since I put them on early last year so I kinda forgot about them and then lifted both TransUnion and Experian for this iPhone approval and didn't even think about Equifax. Its nice that Equifax and TransUnion have an app to unlock/lock your credit but Experian does not.

rafaelortega04

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2019
I read from another forum that if you use amex or a chase card, you are very likely to get denied. I know it sounds extrange, but have you try using another card?

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I don't know if this is applicable here, but a very high percentage of my ApplePay charges using my Citi MC get rejected due to fraud concerns. That seldom happens with AP using other cards. Oddly, it's never happened using the physical Citi MC (which is might be one of the factors in whatever fraud algorithm Citi uses - "was this a physical card or electronic purchase?").

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.