Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
I'll preface this by saying I've had every version of the iPhone going back to the 3GS sans the iPhone 4. I'm always an early adopter so I take the early bumps with a grain of salt so with that said, here goes... The performance on my iPhone 8 has left me very disappointed. Never have I had an iPhone that lags as badly as mine does. The home screen stutters like crazy and apps often freeze up on me forcing me to force close them. It doesn't do this all the time but enough of the time that it's noticeable. Opening the camera isn't very quick either. Overall I'm disappoinied in the iOS 11 / iPhone 8 experience thus far - anyone else having these issues?

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
I've had most of the same experience. While I can't prove it yet, I think the Bluetooth performance is weak as well. I have a hard time keeping my IP8 linked BT wise with my Samsung Gear Fit 2. I'm doing a test using my wife's IP6 S to see if it has the same problem. While out of town, I tried to connect my Surface Pro 4 to my IP8 Hotspot without success while my wife's IP6 S connected fine. I'm considering a trip to the Apple Genius Bar to test the BlueTooth.

Freezes, lags, I've had them all. I'm wondering if the major problem is iOS 11? iOS 11.0.3

sartrekid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2014
Germany
No, I don't experience these issues (I'm on iOS 11.03). It's super fast, generally no lag (one stutter in my time of heavy use this week).

There's one thing, however, which I know has to do with the current official release and is said to be fixed in the upcoming version, and that's the non-smooth Force-Touch animation for the extended functions menu screen.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I've seen a little chop on my 7 Plus which did not happen with iOS 10. Wait and see what 11.1 does. I think they have some code refinement to do.

Reactions: Jetcat3

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
I'll preface this by saying I've had every version of the iPhone going back to the 3GS sans the iPhone 4. I'm always an early adopter so I take the early bumps with a grain of salt so with that said, here goes... The performance on my iPhone 8 has left me very disappointed. Never have I had an iPhone that lags as badly as mine does. The home screen stutters like crazy and apps often freeze up on me forcing me to force close them. It doesn't do this all the time but enough of the time that it's noticeable. Opening the camera isn't very quick either. Overall I'm disappoinied in the iOS 11 / iPhone 8 experience thus far - anyone else having these issues?
Problem might be with iOS 11, if you had 10.3.3. on your iPhone 8, that thing would fly

Reactions: Jetcat3 and xxray

brian3uk

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2016
I didn't have any trouble outta the box, setup as new, but after a few iOS updates it feels like it struggles. Even with 11.1 it has problems. I get a black screen for a moment when I launch the music app from a closed state. It didn't happen in 11.0.3 or the first few 11.1 betas, so idk whats happening. I don't typically get all worked up but iOS 11 has really not been great at all. I cant help but feel that apple's software folks are having some internal issues. I wish I held on to my 7 with 10.3.3. :/

Reactions: Applejuiced

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I didn't have any trouble outta the box, setup as new, but after a few iOS updates it feels like it struggles. Even with 11.1 it has problems. I get a black screen for a moment when I launch the music app from a closed state. It didn't happen in 11.0.3 or the first few 11.1 betas, so idk whats happening. I don't typically get all worked up but iOS 11 has really not been great at all. I cant help but feel that apple's software folks are having some internal issues. I wish I held on to my 7 with 10.3.3. :/

Thanks for the input.
I'm staying put on 10.3.3 then for now.
Not sure anything on iOS 11 is that compelling to risk using a buggy iOS version.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
Reset my device and set up as a new iPhone last night and performance has improved but some lag here and there.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I'd do a restore with itunes and setup as new phone.
If you restored from previous backup that could be the reason you are experiencing sluggishness and stutters like that.
New device and new iOS version I always start fresh and setup as new.

I would too if they hurry up and reintroduce iMessages and health data in iCloud.

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
Reset my device and set up as a new iPhone last night and performance has improved but some lag here and there.

I'm willing to bet a lot of it has to do with iOS 11 needing more refinement.

I was not a fan at all about iOS 11 on my 6S Plus. Reverted to 10.3.3 while I could.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.