Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFan.

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2024
Hey everyone,

I use the Magic Keyboard with Touch ID and numeric keyboard and I've noticed a slight typing delay compared to the version that comes with the M1 and M3 iMac. Additionally, there seems to be more key rattle.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue with the numeric keypad variant? are there supposed to be differences with this keyboard? If you have the same keyboard, could you please let me know if you're experiencing similar problems? I'm concerned there might be something wrong with my keyboard. (Please refer to the attached files to see the exact keyboards I'm referring to)

Attachments

• 71cboO+0CcL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_DpWeblab_.jpg
    71cboO+0CcL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_DpWeblab_.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 36
  • MMMR3.jpeg
    MMMR3.jpeg
    290.5 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: 1969tgb

1969tgb

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2024
I have 4 keyboards I use/have used with my Mac stuff in the past 12 years or so. I have the corded one with the numeric pad. Then I got one of the wireless ones without the number pad (because work put the kybosh on the Apple keyboard because it's seen as a hub), then last year I got the wireless one with the number pad just because I wanted it. (I also sometimes use a wired Cherry- as wireless keyboards aren't allowed for work and I just don't swap out the keyboard after swapping the laptop)

The as far as latency or anything... The old corded Apple keyboard has a bit more travel in the keys- it's not unpleasant- I'm using it right now and it's the first time I've used it in months.

Both of the wireless Apple keyboards are pretty much identical... I don't notice any particular lag or latency that I can tell... I've been swapping between the big wireless and the big wired keyboard in this post for direct comparison.

I prefer the big wireless one, then the big wired one... and a toss up between the little wireless and the corded Cherry. The Cherry is nice, I just prefer the keys and action on the Apple keyboards.

Have you used the keyboard directly connected to the LT and still have the latency problems?

Untitled by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Reactions: AppleFan.

AppleFan.

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2024
I have 4 keyboards I use/have used with my Mac stuff in the past 12 years or so. I have the corded one with the numeric pad. Then I got one of the wireless ones without the number pad (because work put the kybosh on the Apple keyboard because it's seen as a hub), then last year I got the wireless one with the number pad just because I wanted it. (I also sometimes use a wired Cherry- as wireless keyboards aren't allowed for work and I just don't swap out the keyboard after swapping the laptop)

The as far as latency or anything... The old corded Apple keyboard has a bit more travel in the keys- it's not unpleasant- I'm using it right now and it's the first time I've used it in months.

Both of the wireless Apple keyboards are pretty much identical... I don't notice any particular lag or latency that I can tell... I've been swapping between the big wireless and the big wired keyboard in this post for direct comparison.

I prefer the big wireless one, then the big wired one... and a toss up between the little wireless and the corded Cherry. The Cherry is nice, I just prefer the keys and action on the Apple keyboards.

Have you used the keyboard directly connected to the LT and still have the latency problems?

Untitled by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr
When I'm using my wireless keyboard with first-party apps, the latency is okay, but still not as smooth as I'd like it to be. However, when I plug in the keyboard, the typing feels noticeably faster and smoother.

With some third-party apps like Microsoft apps and Discord, the latency can be very high, which makes typing really unpleasant. I guess it's because these apps aren't optimized well for macOS, even though they're native versions and not running through Rosetta.

I used Windows for many years before switching to macOS, so I'm not sure if Windows has lower keyboard latency or if it's just something I've gotten used to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.