Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sleeptodream

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2022
between the matte back and matte sides, it always feels like it’s going to slide right out of my hand :/

the previous standard iphones had the gloss back which was grippy, and the pros had polished sides which are grippy. the 15 has nothing to hold on to

this is the first iphone i feel like i want to put a case on because i’m afraid i’m going to drop it…

dljeffery

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
Issaquah, WA
I haven't held a non-Pro 15, but I feel like my 15 Pro Max is very secure in hand. Obviously, this could and probably does vary quite a bit from the normal 15.

I've also never held a 12/13/14 in any flavor; I imagine the more squared off frame might have felt more secure in the hand at least in ways. But certainly my 15 Pro Max feels quite a bit more secure in the hand than my previous phone, the 11 Pro (or the X I had before it), did. Part of this is probably due to the different sizes, but I think the design is the major reason.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
between the matte back and matte sides, it always feels like it’s going to slide right out of my hand :/

the previous standard iphones had the gloss back which was grippy, and the pros had polished sides which are grippy. the 15 has nothing to hold on to

this is the first iphone i feel like i want to put a case on because i’m afraid i’m going to drop it…

I have a 15, and it’s always secured in my hands, one or two handed situations. How big are your hands compared to the 15?

sleeptodream

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2022
I have a 15, and it’s always secured in my hands, one or two handed situations. How big are your hands compared to the 15?
I have pretty long fingers actually, so it’s not really the size

Try sliding the tip of your finger along the back of your phone, from the matte part and across the glossy Apple logo. For me there is almost no friction on the matte part and then my finger sticks like glue to the Apple logo. The stickiness of the glossy back is what I miss

Last edited:

sleeptodream

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2022
Yeah, besides it feeling slippery, I also find that the camera makes it slightly top heavy so it's trickier to manipulate one handed. I wanted to go caseless, but ended up getting a minimal case to improve the grip.
It does feel top heavy, you’re right. I just compared it to my old iPhone 13 and the 13 feels more balance

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
I have pretty long fingers actually, so it’s not really the size

Try sliding the tip of your finger along the back of your phone, from the matte part and across the glossy Apple logo. For me there is almost no friction on the matte part and then my finger sticks like glue to the Apple logo

I see. I spread my four fingers out when the phone rests on my hand. I initially had a difficult time handling it because of the weight actually. I have been carrying a 13PM until I got the 15 so I had to get used to the featherlight device. So far I’ve accustomed to the size and weight. I hope you will too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.