Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drecc

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
I currently have 6 spaces open, and 21 Chrome windows open with several tabs in each.

I noticed that there was lag when switching between spaces, so I started rapidly switching between spaces using the keyboard shortcuts (ctrl + left/right arrows), and noticed that iStat menus was showing a spike across all CPU cores only when switching between spaces. I clicked the iStat menus toolbar icon quickly after doing lots of switching between spaces, and that confirmed that it was Chrome that was eating CPU.

I'm using a 2018 i9 15" MBP. Does anyone else have this issue?

I confirmed this using terminal. The command to see how many Chrome processes are running is:

Bash:
pgrep Chrome | wc -l

The command to print the sum of all CPU usage of all of those Chrome processes every second is:

Bash:
while true; do for i in $(pgrep Chrome); do ps -p $i -o %cpu | tail -1; done | awk '{ SUM += $1} END { print SUM }'; sleep 1; done

(Press ctrl-c to exit that script)

I see the figures jump from about 5-15 to about 150-250 when switching between spaces.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.