Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
I had issues years ago with the beachball and movies freezing. I got a different router that had more coverage and changed the channel on the router for the Apple TV. Never a problem again. Got the newer apple tv (and tv) with the Belkin cable(I like HDR) though the cable wasn't really needed but I did need a second job to pay for the cable :):). No problems. I did have problems when I hooked up the Roku to the new tv but when I changed out the HDMI cable for the Belkin one all was good.

Last edited:

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
ATV4K on wired connection, experiencing exactly the same. It has boggled my mind for two months. Updated to latest tvOS today, but no cigar. So infuriating! Apple needs to fix this asap or gtfo!
article states what many people, myself included, that Apple TV works better with wifi.

Reactions: Mactabulous

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
I've been plagued with this problem for years now (I'm on Ethernet connectinon). It comes and goes away. I tried looking for a pattern, but it seems to be random, the only common factor is the ATV4K. I tried eliminating every single point of failure and at this point I believe it's just a defective unit. Also there are no remedies that work. I tried restarting, updating to latest version, enabling/disabling beta updates, swapping network cables and ports, bypassing the router, messing around with DNS addresses. This thing just sucks and keeps popping up the error messages. I would've thrown this piece of crap in the garbage a long time ago, if it wasn't the only streaming device I own that supports Dolby Vision. Sadly Sony's PS5 doesn't, so I'm stuck with 'No Network Detected' errors.
have you tried wifi?

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
How can you be sure? I don't see nearly enough complaints online to think that everyone who has bought this device is having the issue. My older AppleTV 4k is not.

My folks have a brand new one; mines a month old. They both have the same glitch; it isn't hardware, it's at Apples end

Eternal21

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2021
I'm suspecting it's a bad Ethernet interface on the Apple device itself. I've got a 1GB FiOS connection, so it's definitely not a bandwidth issue. Also my other devices, including PS5 don't exhibit the same problem. I tried everything, from switching ports/cables/DNS entries/static IP etc. None of it helped What I ended up doing last week, is unplugging the Ethernet cable, and switch to WiFi. Haven't seen the problem since then. It doesn't mean anything yet, since I've went without issues for weeks in the past, but so far so good. I'll keep this thread updated, if the problem ever returns. In either case, if you're on Ethernet, and see the problem, try unplugging the cable and use WiFi instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: 911jason

911jason

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2020
Simi Valley, California
I'm suspecting it's a bad Ethernet interface on the Apple device itself. I've got a 1GB FiOS connection, so it's definitely not a bandwidth issue. Also my other devices, including PS5 don't exhibit the same problem. I tried everything, from switching ports/cables/DNS entries/static IP etc. None of it helped What I ended up doing last week, is unplugging the Ethernet cable, and switch to WiFi. Haven't seen the problem since then. It doesn't mean anything yet, since I've went without issues in the past, but so far so good. I'll keep this thread updated, if the problem ever returns. In either case, if you're on Ethernet, and see the problem, try unplugging the cable and use WiFi instead.
Yes, I unplugged the ethernet cord last night and have not seen an error message since. That’s why I had asked the previous poster if they were on Ethernet or Wifi. I will try Ethernet again when I receive the replacement from Amazon. Thanks!

Eternal21

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2021
@911jason I'm trying to see if it's some sort of interaction between specific router brands. What kind of router do you have? I'm using Archer AC1750.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I've been thinking about this problem as old Cisco router tech! Maybe if your router is more then 3 years old it won't be able to do Jumbo frames! That's why certain older router won't work and it throws up that message! So IMHO you should buy a new router every at lease every 3 years!

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2019
Also my other devices, including PS5 don't exhibit the same problem
Same for my PlayStation 4, which has completely replaced my Apple TV 4K. I may be getting old because I can't tell what HDR even does and since a vast majority of my shows are from the 60s-90s and even more in 480p (never remastered to HD much less 4K or HDR) it would make no sense to use it, and have to go out and pay $50 for a proper HDMI cable just to never tell the difference.

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
Same for my PlayStation 4, which has completely replaced my Apple TV 4K. I may be getting old because I can't tell what HDR even does and since a vast majority of my shows are from the 60s-90s and even more in 480p (never remastered to HD much less 4K or HDR) it would make no sense to use it, and have to go out and pay $50 for a proper HDMI cable just to never tell the difference.
your problem doesn't seem to stem from a cable but maybe you should just update the box. it can't hurt. what tv do you have it hooked up to?

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2019
First of all, whenever I tried to use HDR (again, I can't tell the difference so it was just to see what happened) it worked fine on the home screen, but trying to watch any video (such as Star Trek: Discovery which is HDR capable) the screen would go blank randomly, sometimes showing 'no signal' then return, or give me some odd HDCP error and freeze requiring a hard restart (haven't figured out how to get out of that screen) which usually means I got to shell out a ton of $$$ for some special type of HDMI cable I have no clue about. Secondly, the TV is not cheap, it is a 4K HDR Samsung 50" set. Probably a 2017 model (runs Tizen). But again, I can't even tell the difference and most of the shows I like are too old to be in HD, much less 4K/HDR/Atmos/whatever they call it next. I wanted to find a Samsung Smart TV for the apps and Smartthings link, but all the decent ones were 4K. I didn't buy it for 4K or anything else. Just to get a decent smart TV with Smartthings support.

911jason

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2020
Simi Valley, California
Yes, I unplugged the ethernet cord last night and have not seen an error message since. That’s why I had asked the previous poster if they were on Ethernet or Wifi. I will try Ethernet again when I receive the replacement from Amazon. Thanks!
Okay, so no error messages from Friday through this afternoon while connected to WiFi. Received the replacement unit from Amazon today, updated to 15.2 (same as the one it replaced), connected through Ethernet and got the same error message within an hour or so.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2019
OK, so now my PlayStation 4 is acting up like the ATV 4K did, only without any error (doesn't show errors during video, it just freezes).

I used a wired ethernet connection, and get twice the speed (14 mbps vs 8) and no more issues. WiFi chipsets are getting really crappy these days. They really don't make 'em like they used to.

Prorege1

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2020
OK, so now my PlayStation 4 is acting up like the ATV 4K did, only without any error (doesn't show errors during video, it just freezes).

I used a wired ethernet connection, and get twice the speed (14 mbps vs 8) and no more issues. WiFi chipsets are getting really crappy these days. They really don't make 'em like they used to.
Fortunately the WiFi chipsets are much better these days, we use the ATV 2021 on WiFi (6) ...

tempImagewnYu5Q.png

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
Brand new ATV landed with me this morning (setting it up for my parent in laws)

Exactly the same issues via ethernet & wireless (we're on Virgin fibre here in the UK with the SuperHub 3)

My parent in laws have collected it and took it back to theirs; connected to their wireless, all set up as it should be, exactly the same issue

So that's THREE ATVs with the same issue now.

It's just the error popping up; it doesn't stop or stall playback at all...

All fed back to Apple

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2019
Well, wired or not, I at least don't have to worry about being nagged or forced into updates now that the PlayStation 4 is out of support. I can also turn off such notifications and background downloads. With the ATV it constantly nagged me to update even to the extent of nagging me during a movie. Drove me crazy.

BTW what kind of internet you got that has that type of download speed?! My God!

@danb, stop buying them. Why keep gambling with a company who obviously is making low-grade garbage these days? If I bought say, 3 blu-ray players and they all failed with various issues where using them was frustrating, I'd avoid that brand of player and go with someone else. That's how customers used to act back in the 60s.

911jason

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2020
Simi Valley, California
Well, wired or not, I at least don't have to worry about being nagged or forced into updates now that the PlayStation 4 is out of support. I can also turn off such notifications and background downloads. With the ATV it constantly nagged me to update even to the extent of nagging me during a movie. Drove me crazy.

BTW what kind of internet you got that has that type of download speed?! My God!

@danb, stop buying them. Why keep gambling with a company who obviously is making low-grade garbage these days? If I bought say, 3 blu-ray players and they all failed with various issues where using them was frustrating, I'd avoid that brand of player and go with someone else. That's how customers used to act back in the 60s.
Dude. We get that you don't like the AppleTV. Why don't you unsubscribe from the conversation so that the rest of us trying to troubleshoot this issue can continue in peace.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2019
Well, if you want to keep wasting money on obvious garbage, go ahead then!

Eternal21

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2021
I haven't seen any issues after switching to WiFi for about 2 weeks now, but it looks like a few other people are seeing them no matter what network type they're using. I know when I was troubleshooting this, when I would go into Apple network settings during disconnects, Apple was truly showing no network connection, as if the cable was completely unplugged. The fact that video was still streaming means it was just buffered before the loss. I did switch to beta updates after seeing problems initially, but it didn't help. Still currently the combination of WiFi and beta updates works for me.

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK

Because I don't see it as low grade garbage.

You've obviously got issues with them and that's fine; that's your beef to deal with

For me the ATV is still a great platform and easy to use; both sets of parents are happy with theirs as said, the error message is just that; it doesn't create any playback issues

Eternal21

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2021
Just checking in to confirm that switching to wireless connection has solved the issue for good for me. I haven't had a single disconnect in a month. I also tried connecting back to ethernet earlier today, and the disconnects came back within a few minutes. Here's another thread that also mentions wireless as a solution.

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
I got the "no Internet connection" message flash on the screem for the first time last weekend while watching Netflix on the wireless ATV in our bedroom. The picture kept going and didn't buffer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.