Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
I don't have an :apple: tv to play with, but I'll offer this suggestion:

You might want to try looking on page #4 of that discussion, and scroll about halfway down the page to the "Launchbear not necessary anymore" post and try that technique.

That method looks to be a much 'cleaner' way of getting a SSH daemon running since it uses Apple's ver., and the machine's OSX config's files to startup the daemon.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
I've been able to get SSHD running on the :apple:TV with that method, but I'm unable to connect.

Meaning if I telnet to port 22, it identifies itself as the SSHD, but if I try to connect like this, it immediately disconnects me:
ssh -l frontrow@AppleTV.local

I've tried the usual variations of that string, but no luck. Downloaded dropbear, installed the XCode stuff, compiled it, moved it over, but not able to get it started. It's like the :apple:tv is totally ignoring the fw LaunchDaemon.

I'm pretty good with Linux, but totally new to how OS X handles things (I miss my rc.d way of starting stuff), so this is a great learning experience. (Or at least that's what I keep telling myself). :)

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
You know how you can use telnet to connect to *any* remote port to see if it's listening?

When I couldn't get the ssh client to connect, I used telnet to verify that port 22 was actually open and the sshd on the AppleTV was listening.

Looks like the problem was because I thought it was "ssh -l frontrow@appletv.local" ... it's not -l, it's -1.

Sometimes I amaze even myself. :)

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
I've been able to get SSHD running on the :apple:TV with that method, but I'm unable to connect.

Meaning if I telnet to port 22, it identifies itself as the SSHD, but if I try to connect like this, it immediately disconnects me:
ssh -l frontrow@AppleTV.loca

It's going to be a #$#@ to tell much if you can't get to a bash prompt... to bad USB isn't working yet. A keyboard on the local machine would help! :(

Err... take it apart and recheck the startup script and any special permissions it might need? Let me look at that thread again... maybe someone else in tha t thread had a similar problem getting SSHD to startup...

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
You know how you can use telnet to connect to *any* remote port to see if it's listening?

When I couldn't get the ssh client to connect, I used telnet to verify that port 22 was actually open and the sshd on the AppleTV was listening.

Looks like the problem was because I thought it was "ssh -l frontrow@appletv.local" ... it's not -l, it's -1.

Sometimes I amaze even myself. :)

Gessh... I didn't notice the "L" vs. "ONE"... Ack! Probably would have in terminal...:rolleyes:

Don't you hate rich text sometimes?

Let us know how your "grand experiment" progresses! :) It's about 200 miles from here to the nearest store w/one available or I'd probably be playing with one now... but then I really don't have a great deal of time for "playing" anymore. I'm been doing Linux since '95... been using it for anything and everything server related since... OS X is the desktop Linux should be, however! :p

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
Let us know how your "grand experiment" progresses! :)
Definitely will do!

Thanks for keeping me company as I borked through all of that.

Now to drop the Perian codecs on the :apple:tv and see how well it plays DivX files. :)

Well, maybe not now. I'm pooped.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Definitely will do!

Thanks for keeping me company as I borked through all of that.

Now to drop the Perian codecs on the :apple:tv and see how well it plays DivX files. :)

Well, maybe not now. I'm pooped.

Cool! I'm interesting in hearing what you find out... I'd be interesting in using one of these little boxes to run Apache, PHP and MySQL... Linux will do fine w/256M RAM for a development environment, i.e, a single user. but OSX seems to run MySQL slower vs. similar PCs running Linux. Still I'd like to replace this aging old PIII with something much smaller and more quiet... so I could live with a little bit of slowness. :p

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
I've been thinking about the exact same thing. :)

Hopefully they'll figure out how to get around the Watchdog process that insists that the custom GUI must be running.

I guess the wiki is where they're updating everything now vs. the thread.
http://wiki.awkwardtv.org

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.