Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
Anyone else get this scam? I had it a couple of days ago and today it popped up again. Needless to say, I didn't answer or call the number...

UPDATE...I use Safari with the paid edition of Malware running. I wasn't about to click on anything in the post, but I did try to run the telephone number and got replies that it looked not legit.

scan.png

Last edited:

lclev

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
I use DirectX Swift and Malwarebytes - the free editions if I suspect an issue. Also clearing your cookies on your browser can help a lot. I have not seen that specific popup but I have seen many similar. I do not use Safari for that reason. Just a personal preference but I use Brave browser and I have no issues.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
It looks just like the pop-ups that target Windows users. I would avoid whatever website that came from because if they have scams like that on their website there could be worse things like malware embedded. No antivirus or anti-malware will protect you from everything.

If you have to go to this site, do it inside of a virtual machine that’s cut off from your physical machine. At least that will give you some level of protection.

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
Don’t get too attached to uBlock origin because Google is about to deprecate it. There’s going to be a light version that’s less effective but if you want actual uBlock origin, your only choice is Firefox.
Sounds like a lot of us are going to switch to Firefox.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Always have a backup plan. Chrome > Edge > Firefox. That rumor has been floating around forever though so unlikely to happen.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I use 1blocker on my iPhone/iPad (screenshot posted is from an iPad). I've never gotten one of these.
Also use it in Safari on my Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.