Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PM-Performance

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Am I the only one having problems finding proper fitting cases for my fourth gen?
Seems everything I have tried has been too tight and cracked the corners.

I conversation with moshi on this with a few cases I tried from them that cracked, they said apple made two slight diff size iPads from diff factories that's causes this. Anyone that can confirm this?

So tired of buying cases now :(

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Amazon has a crazy assortment. I personally like the Moko cases and they are pretty inexpensive.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Snagged a Fintie for the wifeys iPad 4 and it's great. Cheap too. Highly recommended. I use one for my Air too. Amazon has them.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I'm in the dark here. I thought the iPad 4 was exactly the same dimensions as 3 so any case for 3 would fit 4. They just changed the internals to the new chip I thought.

PM-Performance

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Apparently mine is not the right size.
Had a smart case and the back would pop out. Had 3 moshi I glazes that cracked due to corner stress and had a Incipio that the whole corner broke off due to stress.

Moshi said that apple used another plant for the 4s I guess and we're not exactly the same size.
I'm ready to just sell this thing and get another one. I spent more money in cases then the damn ipad it feels. Lol

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
We've got 3 iPad 3's and 3 iPad 4's at home and the cases have been interchangeable (Otterbox Defender and Targus Slim Case) so at least ours seem to have the same dimensions.

PM-Performance

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Are any of yours plastic backed? All the plastic ones cracked on me. I guess if maybe I tried a thicker one like an otter maybe it would be less issues.
The only one that wasnt plastic was the smartcase when I first got it and it would pop out on the side along the hinged area for the cover once in a while.

This drives me batty as I have not having a case.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Are any of yours plastic backed? All the plastic ones cracked on me. I guess if maybe I tried a thicker one like an otter maybe it would be less issues.
The only one that wasnt plastic was the smartcase when I first got it and it would pop out on the side along the hinged area for the cover once in a while.
This is what I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Slim-Case-THD006US-Black/dp/B0076POAJE

Case is covered with cloth on both sides but the inside is plastic. The Otterbox, I've actually replaced with another Targus Slim Case. The darned thing is just way too heavy.

Yardman1977

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2014
Chicagoland
I have a speck fit folio that says for ipad 2/3 on the cover but
fits perfect on the ipad 4 i had. total protection. 30 bucks at meijer...only stands up in landscape mode tho,which was no big deal for me..still have the case but dont have the ipad 4 cuz i returned it after 2 weeks for the air..

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Never been happy with Apples cases but I bought the black smart case that covers the back and front to protect till I found what I liked and have really started to like the case and no longer working.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Never been happy with Apples cases but I bought the black smart case that covers the back and front to protect till I found what I liked and have really started to like the case and no longer working.

There is no black Apple Smart Case for the fourth gen iPad. maybe you mean for iPad Air?

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I have a Product red Apple Smartcase for my iPad 4, I used the same case when I had my iPad 3. Never had any problems with it. Fit like a glove. Unfortunately for us pre-iPad Air users the only SmartCase available from Apple is the the Dark Grey.

I also have a Coach iPad case that I use from time to time. That one is made of leather and coated canvas and matches my messenger bag, pass case and wallet. Use that for more formal affairs rather than the bright red smart case that I use for everyday stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.