Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eperitus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2020
Anyone else have Highpoint kernel extensions listed in About this Mac > System Report > Software > Extensions?

I'm wondering if it's safe to delete them or at least if there's a way to find out where they're from/how they got installed?

Because I just had 3 apps (Numbers, Messages, Quicklook) start beach-balling just prior to kernelmanagerd using more and more CPU. The console said things like "Unable to load extension: /Library/Extensions/HighpointRR.kext: Incompatible architecture" I also got a load of "bogus event on device 1000020/1000022" warnings from revisiond, and a bunch of other errors.

I also couldn't get out of Sleep Focus mode on the mac, and screenshots were hanging too. Here's what the console log looked like:

console-log.png
kexts.png

I'm guessing the system was trying to generate a crash report/debug symbols and tried to load all kexts, and there was something prior to this that happened that caused the beachballs.

This happened all of a sudden, and everything resolved after restarting the computer, but the whole event was disconcerting.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The Highpoint extensions are part of the standard, default install of macOS.
You can see the "Loaded" states "No"
AFAIK, those are drivers associated with RAID hardware. With no supported hardware, they exist, but don't do anything in the system.
Directly underneath those is PromiseSTEX, which is the same type of file.
Just another part of the default macOS system.

eperitus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2020
The Highpoint extensions are part of the standard, default install of macOS.
You can see the "Loaded" states "No"
AFAIK, those are drivers associated with RAID hardware. With no supported hardware, they exist, but don't do anything in the system.
Directly underneath those is PromiseSTEX, which is the same type of file.
Just another part of the default macOS system.
Thank you, so the Highpoint drivers are probably not the problem causing the beachballs then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.