Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you experience bluetooth issues with your iMac 2017?

• Yes

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
Hi!

I have been having pretty severe bluetooth issues with my iMac 2017 since 10.13.3. I don't know if it's related to that update, or if it just happened at the same time anyways. It has at least gotten a lot worse since installing 10.13.3 for one reason or another.

Ever since I bought it, I have had my Magic Trackpad loose connection and then reconnect immediately every now and then. This process takes 2-5 seconds or so during which I have no control of the pointer. These last couple of days however, my iMac has given me a "Bluetooth: Not Available" error, which is fixed with a reboot. Today my trackpad refused to connect even though bluetooth was on and available.

I decided to try connecting my bluetooth keyboard (I normally use a wired keyboard, and I wished the trackpad was available in a wired version. Much more reliable, and no battery to charge, but that's another discussion) and it connected without issue and worked as expected. My trackpad however would not connect.

In the bluetooth preferences, I could see it connecting and then immediately disconnecting over and over until it eventually failed with a yellow exclamation point icon. After this I did a trick that I have not seen documented anywhere, which is to remove the pairing, turn off the trackpad, and turn it back on while pressing down on it. Now it connected instantly and has been working since.

The problem is that most of the time it's working perfectly, and then suddenly it fails by either disconnecting and reconnecting, disconnecting and not reconnecting, or macOS looses track of the bluetooth hardware and throws a bluetooth not available error.

TLDR

I though it was the bluetooth hardware in the iMac that was at fault, but today the trackpad refused to connect while a keyboard worked fine, so I'm starting to think the problem is with the trackpad. Why that would cause a bluetooth not available error I can't figure out, unless it crashes the driver.

Anyone else having these issues?

iMac 2017, i7 4.2 GHz, 40 GB RAM, Radeon Pro 580

Bigdog9586

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2015
Only issues I’m having is 3/4 of the time when I switch to windows the keyboard and mouse don’t work. Of course I just got windows working and it was first day. Now problems.

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
Only issues I’m having is 3/4 of the time when I switch to windows the keyboard and mouse don’t work. Of course I just got windows working and it was first day. Now problems.

I tried installing Windows 10 just to see how it worked and lots of issues is the answer. The trackpad behaves completely differently and my external monitor goes dark all the time. I have even had half of my iMac display going black and the contents of the screen being stretched to fill the other half.

Of course I switched to Mac in 2007 to get away from the problems of Windows so I only use it when I have to/want to. Bluetooth is working fine in Windows though for the brief periods I have had Windows running.

Reactions: Bigdog9586

Bzztoh

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2018
Netherlands
My keyboard and mouse also regularly disconnect. Switching on and off (hard reset needed when keyboard and mouse don't respond) solves the problem for a few days. MacOS 10.13.6.

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
Bluetooth has been very stable for me since I upgraded to Mojave and VMware Fusion 11. Not sure which made the biggest difference but I think Mojave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.