Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Permanent Sigh

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2019
I have been using a pair of wireless Sony WH-1000XM4 headphones regularly since getting them in the summer of 2020 and only recently (the last few days) starting experiencing random disconnects for no reason. I have to turn the headphones off and back on for them to reconnect. There is no established length of time until the disconnect happens, it can either be a few minutes, an hour, etc.

The weird thing is how they disconnect; the voice guide doesn’t say Bluetooth is disconnected, it instead stops what I am listening to, plays a small jingle, and that’s it.

The only recent change I can think of is updating to 14.4 and it being funky about Bluetooth. I have also noticed weirdness with AirPods.

I’m currently using the headphones with my MacBook and so far it’s remained connected and behaved as it should. This is why I’m narrowing it down to iOS 14.4.

Anyone else having similar issues? I hope 14.5 fixes this.

D to the T

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2021
I have been using a pair of wireless Sony WH-1000XM4 headphones regularly since getting them in the summer of 2020 and only recently (the last few days) starting experiencing random disconnects for no reason. I have to turn the headphones off and back on for them to reconnect. There is no established length of time until the disconnect happens, it can either be a few minutes, an hour, etc.

The weird thing is how they disconnect; the voice guide doesn’t say Bluetooth is disconnected, it instead stops what I am listening to, plays a small jingle, and that’s it.

The only recent change I can think of is updating to 14.4 and it being funky about Bluetooth. I have also noticed weirdness with AirPods.

I’m currently using the headphones with my MacBook and so far it’s remained connected and behaved as it should. This is why I’m narrowing it down to iOS 14.4.

Having this issue too. Brand new 12Pro updated to iOS14.4 with Headset Plantronics Voyager 5200. Tried unpair & resetting both phone & headset but the problem still persist. Hope they'll fix it soon because it is annoying af.:(

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!

Have you tried unpairing them and then pairing them again. I have used this method to solve the issue. Hope this helps.

Permanent Sigh

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2019
Have you tried unpairing them and then pairing them again. I have used this method to solve the issue. Hope this helps.
Oh yeah, I have done that and other things. It seems to be happening on my MacBook as well, although not as often as on my iPhone. So it may not be an iOS issue after all.

I spoke to Sony support and I’m having the headphones replaced by a new pair. Let’s see what happens...

Reactions: firedept
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.