Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

getchageekon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2016
England, UK
I'll start by explaining the nightmare I'm currently having.

Thursday night I decided I'd pre-order the iPhone 7. I've had success with the iOS app before, so I booted it up and triple-checked all my payment details. I use the same details for Apple Pay, which I use successfully all the time on smaller purchases. I chose my phone configuration and saved it as a favourite for even quicker access.

Friday morning 8am rolls around and I join everyone else in the panic. After a couple of minutes I was in, and I picked the phone up out of my favourites, threw it in my bag, and went to checkout. At the bottom I was presented with a "buy with Apple Pay" button. Knowing it would be much faster, that's what I decided to do. It scanned my fingerprint as usual, I got the confirmation tick, and a few minutes later I had an email from Apple telling me my order was being processed. Nothing at all about payment problems. And best of all, I had launch day delivery.

So, thinking everything was fine, I went about my day. At no point did anybody try to contact me about my order. I didn't even feel the need to check it. Then, before I went to bed, I saw on Twitter that a lot of people who'd ordered as early as I did were seeing "preparing for dispatch" - I couldn't resist checking mine immediately, and it's a good thing I did. I was greeted by a message:

Payment action required: We are unable to obtain an authorisation for your order. Please ensure your card provider is aware of your order, as we will continue to seek authorisation. Please update your payment method to continue with this order.

I was obviously concerned about this so straight away I clicked update and tried to get it to re-do the Apple Pay details. This continued refusing to authorise, so then I chose the second option - try again with a different card. First I tried putting in the same card's details minus Apple Pay, but that again got rejected. Then I tried putting in the details of a completely different card, belonging to a different person, from a different bank - guess what? That also got rejected. Frustrated and unable to get hold of anyone at Apple or my bank because of how late it was, I went to bed. Still no word from Apple about the payment failing.

6am this morning, we get a text message to our landline, which woke the whole house up - thanks Apple - finally confirming the failure of the payment. 22 hours after it failed, but who's counting?

At 9am we started making calls. Both banks confirmed there was nothing wrong with our accounts (no blocks, plenty of money to cover it, etc) to explain why the requests were failing, but mine took the verbal confirmation that I did want Apple to take the money and reset my account for me, and told me to contact Apple to try again. I called Apple and asked them to try again, but again it failed - they told me it was my bank's problem and told me to call them again. Can you see where I'm going this? I was on the phone and in chats for in excess of 5 hours today trying to sort this out, because I kept going around in circles, because neither party would accept fault. One of the people I spoke to at Apple offered to re-order it for me without Apple Pay - I could easily have done that myself, but cancelling and starting again means I go to the back of the queue and wait for weeks past launch day. I wouldn't mind if this was my fault, but it isn't.

At around 2:30pm, I finally made a breakthrough. I managed to get to speak to someone in an Apple Online Store Customer Services chat. By this time I was immeasurably frustrated, and though I was trying to remain polite and pleasant, my patience was long gone and I think it showed! I explained my situation for about the sixth time, and this person told me there was some kind of "global issue" with Apple Pay, and that he'd pass my details on to the payments & credit cards team, who would contact me in "24-48 business hours" to resolve the issue. He also assured me that as long as this is fixed before they want to take the money on Tuesday, I should still get Sept 16th delivery. But because I was visibly annoyed and being quiet persistent with him, I can't help but think that maybe he just told me what would get me out of the chat...

So, here I am in limbo, waiting to hear back from someone about how this is going to be resolved. In the meantime I just wanted to share my experience, and ask if anyone else has had the same trouble? If it truly is "global" like this guy said, SURELY I can't be the only one? I certainly feel like I am at the moment!

bsmsam

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2008
Are you able to still edit your payment info? I don't know if you would want to, but would buying an electronic gift card for the exact amount be an option? Then you can just buy it independent of the phone transaction, and then choose that as your payment method. It would just be awful if that also doesn't take, and then you have a huge gift card/funds used already.

I'm sorry it's been such a headache for you!

Joe23

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
I had the exact same problem and the same message appear when attempting payment again (Apple Pay) and with entirely new card details. Both banks couldn't see any failed transactions. I rang Apple and they took my credit card details over the phone; payment went through just fine, didn't affect shipping date and didn't need to reorder.

There are a few of us in the stickied UK thread who had the issue, so you're not alone. It does seem like there was an issue with Apple Pay which also prevented any new card details from working when entered online.

Ring Apple again and provide them with new card details instead of asking them to retry the existing details. It should go through.

getchageekon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2016
England, UK
Are you able to still edit your payment info? I don't know if you would want to, but would buying an electronic gift card for the exact amount be an option? Then you can just buy it independent of the phone transaction, and then choose that as your payment method. It would just be awful if that also doesn't take, and then you have a huge gift card/funds used already.

I'm sorry it's been such a headache for you!

Yes, it actually WANTS me to change my payment information, but continues to reject any different details I give it. It does say if I need to use a gift card instead I can call the CS number and get someone to do that, but given how bizarre this is being I don't want to take that risk yet - as you say, a big amount on a gift card to then not be able to use on this!

I'm wondering what would happen if I deleted my card from my Apple Pay account all together, maybe then it would accept the card details as a "new card" - I may try that, but I want someone from Apple on hand if it screws things up even more, and it's getting pretty late here now so it will have to be tomorrow.

bsmsam

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2008
Yes, it actually WANTS me to change my payment information, but continues to reject any different details I give it. It does say if I need to use a gift card instead I can call the CS number and get someone to do that, but given how bizarre this is being I don't want to take that risk yet - as you say, a big amount on a gift card to then not be able to use on this!

I'm wondering what would happen if I deleted my card from my Apple Pay account all together, maybe then it would accept the card details as a "new card" - I may try that, but I want someone from Apple on hand if it screws things up even more, and it's getting pretty late here now so it will have to be tomorrow.

Don't blame you on being worried about that. I'd want someone on the phone, too. I am sure they will get it sorted in time. Good luck!

getchageekon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2016
England, UK
I had the exact same problem and the same message appear when attempting payment again (Apple Pay) and with entirely new card details. Both banks couldn't see any failed transactions. I rang Apple and they took my card details over the phone; payment went through just fine, didn't affect shipping date and didn't need to reorder.

There are a few of us in the stickied UK thread who had the issue, so you're not alone.

That's interesting - both of our banks could see the failing transactions, they just couldn't tell me why they were failing. When I called Apple about it they just said they couldn't see why it was happening, and the only time anyone offered to do anything with my card details, it was someone trying to create me a new order - once I explained that wasn't what I wanted, I wanted to fix the existing order, she said she couldn't help me!

Glad you got yours sorted though - at least I now know I'm not the only one, and there may be hope I'll get this sorted without losing my delivery date.
[doublepost=1473543297][/doublepost]
Don't blame you on being worried about that. I'd want someone on the phone, too. I am sure they will get it sorted in time. Good luck!

Thank you - fingers crossed!

getchageekon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2016
England, UK
I had the exact same problem and the same message appear when attempting payment again (Apple Pay) and with entirely new card details. Both banks couldn't see any failed transactions. I rang Apple and they took my credit card details over the phone; payment went through just fine, didn't affect shipping date and didn't need to reorder.

There are a few of us in the stickied UK thread who had the issue, so you're not alone. It does seem like there was an issue with Apple Pay which also prevented any new card details from working when entered online.

Ring Apple again and provide them with new card details instead of asking them to retry the existing details. It should go through.

Called Apple again as you suggested and the amazingly helpful Irish lady I spoke to bypassed Apple Pay and put the card details in for me - ALL SORTED AT LAST. And my delivery is still launch day. Thank you! :D

For anyone interested, she told me there are issues with Apple Pay AND people being able to update billing and shipping details online. So don't panic if you can't do something, just give them a call and they'll sort it for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.