Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
One of the most useful widgets is Google Travel Time which instantly displays your commute time to/from work. In iOS 9 this worked great, uses Google Maps and what you've set as your "Home" and "Work" addresses.

In iOS 10 this isn't working for me, it is displaying the same travel time for both Home and Work and when I click them they are showing random nearby addresses that aren't what I have set as Home and Work in the Google Maps app.

Anyone else experiencing this or know a fix?

BJ

nanogirl21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Midwest United States
h
One of the most useful widgets is Google Travel Time which instantly displays your commute time to/from work. In iOS 9 this worked great, uses Google Maps and what you've set as your "Home" and "Work" addresses.

In iOS 10 this isn't working for me, it is displaying the same travel time for both Home and Work and when I click them they are showing random nearby addresses that aren't what I have set as Home and Work in the Google Maps app.

BJ

Why not just use standard default Maps? There is a Maps Destination widget that displays the information that you are looking for. You need to set your Home and Work location in the Maps app and not in Google Maps app. Maps is 100% better in iOS 10 if you take the time to set it up correctly.

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
h

Why not just use standard default Maps? There is a Maps Destination widget that displays the information that you are looking for. You need to set your Home and Work location in the Maps app and not in Google Maps app. Maps is 100% better in iOS 10 if you take the time to set it up correctly.

I have my Home and Work address set in Contacts but cannot see a way to set those in Apple Maps.

The Apple Maps Destination widget is empty.

Help.

BJ

Ggvfvgbffbf

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Manchester, England

BJ

Yes, I saw this today for the first time. Although the Google widget displays the correct data when I click on 'Work', it now routes me to 'the works', (a UK shop), rather than my work address.

I don't know a fix, but presume that google will sort it.

nsblum

macrumors regular
May 18, 2015
Puyallup, WA
Yes, I saw this today for the first time. Although the Google widget displays the correct data when I click on 'Work', it now routes me to 'the works', (a UK shop), rather than my work address.

I don't know a fix, but presume that google will sort it.
The Travel Times widget works fine for me. I have both Home and Work in their and it shows different times and routes me to the correct location. I have used it for the last 3 days going to and from work.

nanogirl21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Midwest United States
I have my Home and Work address set in Contacts but cannot see a way to set those in Apple Maps.

The Apple Maps Destination widget is empty.

Help.

BJ

Open maps and in the address field type HOME or WORK. Since these addresses are already in your contacts the phone should recognize these locations. Once you go to the address at least once using this method the widget should always update to show HOME/WORK travel time. This is what it looks like for me.

y3irq7g.png

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Open maps and in the address field type HOME or WORK. Since these addresses are already in your contacts the phone should recognize these locations. Once you go to the address at least once using this method the widget should always update to show HOME/WORK travel time. This is what it looks like for me.

y3irq7g.png

Thanks, tried it 3 times for each destination, rebooted the phone, no luck.

BJ

Ksprs

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2015
Same here, the widget is empty at all times(No Upcoming Destinations) even when I have directions set up for driving home/work. Google one (travel times) works perfectly, without setting any routs, it knows when I'm at work/home. At this point I'm not even sure what Apple Maps Destinations widget is supposed to do.

applied2

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2013
Same here, the widget is empty at all times(No Upcoming Destinations) even when I have directions set up for driving home/work. Google one (travel times) works perfectly, without setting any routs, it knows when I'm at work/home. At this point I'm not even sure what Apple Maps Destinations widget is supposed to do.

What worked for me was switching the default directions from transit to driving. The widget that shows up when force touching on the Google Maps icon is a condensed version that only shows time to location. It will show up empty if its set to transit directions and there are none available.

To fix it, add the same widget to the widget screen to the left of the home screen and click on 'More' then choose the driving icon instead of train.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.