Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pbooktebo

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2003
SF Bay Area
I went to check that Open Office was still working, but it couldn't load (Using the "Start Open Office Script").

I then tried to start the X11 app, as I noticed it wasn't running.

It bounces once on the dock, then disappears.

I installed X11 from a custom "Archive and Install" option with the 10.3 install.

Perhaps the problem was that I already had it installed in Jaguar? I just clicked it becuase I hadn't ever updated it, and thought it might have been an updated version.

Of course, I should try to re-install X11, or check all the help pages, but if others are having this problem, I'll just wait a few weeks until better minds address it ;)

Elenita

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2003
Washington, DC
Re: Anyone else having X11 problems?

Originally posted by pbooktebo
I went to check that Open Office was still working, but it couldn't load (Using the "Start Open Office Script").

I then tried to start the X11 app, as I noticed it wasn't running.

It bounces once on the dock, then disappears.

I installed X11 from a custom "Archive and Install" option with the 10.3 install.

Perhaps the problem was that I already had it installed in Jaguar? I just clicked it becuase I hadn't ever updated it, and thought it might have been an updated version.

Of course, I should try to re-install X11, or check all the help pages, but if others are having this problem, I'll just wait a few weeks until better minds address it ;)

Any luck with this? I've been trying to get Open Office to run properly for the last few days, but no dice.

Like you, I did an archive and install upgrade, and an X11 install from the third installation disk. But in my Dock, I have a question mark rather than the application icon I got used to seeing in Jaguar.

Also, I tried reinstalling it, the disk image kept quitting unexpectedly right after mounting...

Any ideas?

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
All my X11 applications (Terminal, OpenOffice and Nicotine) all appear to work, but do not have working window titlebars, so I can't move them around or minimize them.

The Terminal, which always opens, appears to be stuck to the upper left of the screen, behind the menubar. When I exposé it, I can see the prompt.

switchingGeek

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2003
Dallas, Texas
X11 has moved, it is now in Applications/Utilities. The reason you have a ? mark is that it is removed from the old location. I was able to use remote X apps, and wonder of wonders COPY & PASTE between X apps and OS X apps!!! I love it!!! (XEmacs if you want to know)

I have since done a clean install ( I had some unrelated problems with Safari 3rd party add-ons (saft), and Stuffit Expander kicking the bucket) and it works just fine..

Although I have to yet install fink, and get local X11 apps, remote X11 apps are great...

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
So do we still have to launch it, or does it come up automatically with the OS? Either way, it sounds like the 'start openoffice' script needs to be fixed.

Zero21xx

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2003
Memphis, TN, USA
No problems here. Once I realized I had to grab it off the third disk everything was up and running fine. Fink is working nicely with it. I have KDE 3.1, the GIMP, and who knows what else is included with KDE running without a hitch. However, when I run X11, I run it full screen rather than rootless when using KDE. I only run rootless when I use quartz-WM. I for one am amazed that Apple is embracing X11 as part of the OS. It's a big move forward in gaining the acceptance of Unix Gurus.

-Z

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Hmm - X11 is on disc 3. Who knew.

So, installing it fixed the menubar problem, but caused Nicotine to loose it's font. Every character looks like either a square waffle, or the #4 on a dice.

pbooktebo

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2003
SF Bay Area
Ahhh, it WAS in the Utilities folder

Odd, I still had the icon in my Application folder, but the App had moved to the Utilities folder. Once I clicked it, no problem.

I think that the Open Office Script could still work if re-installed or re-configured. The first time I ran it, it couldn't find X11 and had to browse for it. I'll see if I can't get it back up and running.

BTW, this is mostly a curiosity for me, as I'm still not using OO for much (mainly to show to other Apple users who don't want to buy Office), I'm hoping that Apple will lend a hand and get the Aqua port out. Then I'll make the final switch and rarely use Office (or never, if I can avoid it, but from the sound of the new DRM files, I think I'll need it for some work stuff).

pbooktebo

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2003
SF Bay Area
And I'm off

Sure enough, trashing the old X11 App from my Apps folder worked. The Open Office startup script couldn't find X11 and prompted me to find it. I simply directed it to the Utilities folder and now I'm off and running.

To those who've never used it, it really is a nice app (other than the Windows-style ctrl instead of command key stuff).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.