Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2016
I’m finding the new shortcut where you pull up from the bottom to exit out of an app to me more of a nuisance than a help. It makes it really hard to pull up the dock to open up an app in split screen. Is this how the shortcut is meant to be or is this a bug in the beta versions?

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2016
That’s the new feature for iPads which is simailr to the iPhone X.
[doublepost=1529326355][/doublepost]
It’s not a bug that’s the intended function.
Ah ok. It’s rather ill-conceived considering it’s also how you get the app dock up. On the iPad it makes much more sense to use the 5-fingered pinch-to-close shortcut, in my opinion.

Diamond Dog

Cancelled
Apr 6, 2018
Theoretically, I enjoy it because it brings my iPad's behavior in line with what I've gotten used to on my X.

In practice, though, I agree with you-- I am closing apps way more than I intend to. I find that if all I want to do is open the dock, I kind of have to purposefully do the gesture slower and more specifically, and if I do the gesture without paying much attention I'll close my opened app instead.

Not sure if it's a matter of me just having to get used to the new gesture and finding the sweet spot, or Apple needing to tweak the gesture/animation.

Reactions: Tapiture

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Personally, I quite like it, and it works perfectly for me. Intuitively I feel like the velocity and distance of the pull for Dock versus closing is pretty good already and I always get the behaviour I want - No matter if it's the Dock, closing the app, going to app switcher or jumping to a different app quickly. I had to play with it a lot the first day or two, but now I'm used to it and it works well for me. But I'm sure they'll tweak the exact distance and velocity it takes to activate it a lot throughout the beta.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
I do, but i am willing to give this new system some time, because we come from years of closing apps in a different way. Also i don’t have iPhone X.
Maybe with people used to it....nah, not sure

Reactions: Tapiture

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
To answer the question in the op, yes. I'm getting used to it now though and I do expect some tweaks to speed/distance etc. to decrease ambiguity as we go through the betas.

Going slightly off-topic what does annoy me a bit is the lack of consistency between devices. If it makes sense to make the gestures on an iPad like the X, why not have those same gestures on my 7+? I'd have had less difficulty adopting the new gestures if they worked everywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.