Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BruiserBear

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
I've been thinking about ways I may be using the iPad, and I've come to the conclusion I'd like a heavier stand that could safely hold the iPad and would allow for two things.

1) A stand that could hold the iPad vertically or horizontally, and is heavy enough to allow me to use the device like a touch computer while sitting at a desk. Meaning that it wouldn't be shifting about as I touched it.

2) By allowing me to place it on a stand like this horizontally, I could be charging the iPad horizontally from the dock, while also having a bluetooth keyboard sitting below it for typing.

Could anyone give me a link to something that fits this description? I'm hoping some companies out there make some classy looking stands for this type of use. The stands Apple has created look a bit too light in my opinion, and by having a stand that is not attached to the keyboard I could use it without always having to have that keyboard right below it.

It's also worth noting that I'm quite perplexed by Apple's continued creation of pure white accessories, such as the stands, while the device is made of silver aluminum and black glass. Why on earth wouldn't the stand match the product? It seems so out of place to have a white stand sitting underneath this device.

StBDawg

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2008
I'm looking for a stand like this too. I already have an Apple bluetooth keyboard that I use with my Macbook Pro so I want a stand that would hold it horizontally for me. And I want a stand so I can use my iPad as a digital photo frame as well. I wanna have it horizontal because most of my pictures are taken in that format.

Ak8s

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2010
Google "cookbook stands" in images. There are several nice looking stands.

BruiserBear

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Google "cookbook stands" in images. There are several nice looking stands.

Thanks for the tip. I did what you suggested and I honestly didn't see a stand that fit my needs. I'm looking for something that ideally is silver or black in color, weights at least a couple pounds, and has a rubber edge or some sort of softer trays that wouldn't scratch up the iPad during repeated use.

BruiserBear

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
I think I'm really looking for something along the lines of this......

20647.jpg

I'd just like something more heavy duty than that. Rubber along the contact points would also prevent it from scratching the iPad while also holding it in place.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
Thanks for the tip. I did what you suggested and I honestly didn't see a stand that fit my needs. I'm looking for something that ideally is silver or black in color, weights at least a couple pounds, and has a rubber edge or some sort of softer trays that wouldn't scratch up the iPad during repeated use.

Just a thought, if you find a metal format in a stand that you like consider using plastic dip. It is intended for dipping handles of tools and such to plastic coat them. (It's a soft not hard plastic.) It would prevent scratching, provide a durable surface and there are several colors of dips. PlastiDip even offers a self coloring option if you want a specific color you can tint a base. There is also a spray version available.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
What the market needs is a stand for the iPad that is light and collapsable so you can fit it in a case with the iPad. And as a product designer I assure you it's possible to meet both of those standards and still be strong and steady in use.

Anyone that finds one please post a link to it in this thread. ;)

ray nicholas

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2010
Ipad holder

Go to http://www.holdmybook.com

This holder goes everywhere. Desktop, tabletop, counter top,
car seat, airplane tray, steering wheel, chair back, microphone stand,etc.. Durable and comes with a black
velvet tote bag.

Ipadholder2.jpg

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I bought a few 'plate holders' a while ago.

I had researched this for holding other tablets and they come in a few different sizes.

Go to Amazon and do a search for this.

they are 'Gibson Holders'

soch

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
portland
iPad Maple wood stand/holder

I agree we need a heavier stand than the flimsy aluminum or plastic stands.

After looking around i was disappointed. Finally designed & built one myself using maple hardwood. It is almost as heavy as the ipad & doesn't skid. I am using the ipad as a touch computer. For more info & images visit my site.

Attachments

• P1010654.jpg
    P1010654.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 156

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Book Stands Work Well with iPad

I'm using a heavy cookbook stand I bought at Barnes & Noble.
It works out perfectly! Originally I got it to hold a small portable flat LCD screen TV. But now I use it for my iPad :D
Check out B&N and other book stores. You might be pleasantly surprised by what you find there :)

gamma-point

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I'm using a heavy cookbook stand I bought at Barnes & Noble.
It works out perfectly! Originally I got it to hold a small portable flat LCD screen TV. But now I use it for my iPad :D
Check out B&N and other book stores. You might be pleasantly surprised by what you find there :)

But books don't have a big fat USB connector at the bottom. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.