Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Secret Moon base
wPod said:
and what is so cool about spotlight? i cant remeber the last time ive ever searched for something on my computer. i keep everything neatly organized in my home folder and in my dock.

Me too. Everything is pretty much organized. The only rare occasion I need to search is for something in my downloads folder when it gets too big, or for a certain phrase in developer documentation - but XCode handles that.

If spotlight could work across the corporate LAN it would be cool though (I have said before) it could be the killer app that gets Apple back in to the workplace.

Dashboard just seems like bloat to me. But there is a lot of important under the hood improvements going on. For the first time with Tiger I was able to compile and run a proper 64-bit program with 8-byte pointer and long, which should help win scientific and edu customers.

ibook_g4_user

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2004
flyfish29 said:
so this was a mere months before release. Maybe they do have a few tricks up their sleeve. As far as the average comsumer goes, I hope so.

Ofcourse they have, no big news but a lot new improvements to their applications. And u can also see big improvements to third-party applications also.

They have some neat things for the avarage too.. automator will speed up your work spend 20-30 seconds instead of a few hours to get things done..it will mayby save u 400 hours on a year and and if u get paid 10$ per hour then its worth 4000$, but tiger will only cost u 129$.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
On the rare occasion when I got back and use 10.2, I find it painful. It's hard to see up front the power of the little changes and improvements Apple makes.

Personally, I think this is going to a huge upgrade and we have only seen the tip of the iceberg. But even if it does seem modest upfront, it will be a huge improvement of 10.3. (And I think 10.3 is fantastic.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Trust me, the stuff "under the hood" that was shown, is just the tip of the iceberg. If your not exited about tiger, then you should at least be exited about the apps that will run on it... once you see them anyways. Tiger, more than anything is about giving lots of (fast) "toys" for developers to "play" with.

relimw

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2004
SC
paulypants said:
I can't wait!!!!!! I want it now!!!!!!!! ;)
I'm sure Apple would be happy to sell you a Select ADC Membership, it's only $500, and they'll send you the WWDC version of Tiger for your money. (Now there's a $500 upgrade for you to complain about ;)

Of course, you do get lots of other nifty things for your $500, like hardware discount(s), advance sdks, etc... So it's really not a terrible deal, I just wish they'd let Select members have copies of things like Motion for free :)

ibook_g4_user

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2004
I wonder if this is only goin to cost 129$? Couse the true value seems to be 299$.. damn there is so much new features..we have never such drastic changing in an OS for 20 years.. tiger is a devolopers dream :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.