Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I got this text this afternoon.
T-Mobile has determined that unauthorized access to some of your personal data has occurred. We have no evidence that your debit/credit card information was compromised. We take the protection of our customers seriously. We are taking actions to protect your T-Mobile account and we recommend that you take action to protect your credit. Read more here: URL

Changed my PIN, password, and enabled 2FA (it's quite hidden). I was looking to switch as I have total of three lines and the Apple Watch.
I changed my password, did not realize I could change my pin, will go back and do that.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I have yet to be notified that my account was breached. Although I changed my password today just in case (also signed up for McAfee)

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Go to Privacy dot Com to learn about their service.
A few months ago I did some research into the Privacy.com virtual credit card service. If things have not changed, I think using it could be more risky than using a regular credit card in many cases.

Why? The two main reasons are:
  • Funding the virtual card requires linking a checking account to Privacy.
  • The standard consumer protections for credit card purchases don't apply because of the way Privacy's virtual card works. If I remember correctly, the actual payment from Privacy to a merchant is considered a money transfer or a debit card transaction, not a credit card purchase. Consequently, any refunds or disputes are governed by Privacy's user agreement, not USA federal credit card regulations.
Further, for any other venture capital/financial markets/compliance geeks out there, Privacy's ownership, investors, regulator(s), and ongoing financials are very opaque and obscure. That's not the sort of company I'm willing to entrust banking details to.

----------
Edited for clarity

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I just got this text from T-Mobile.

T-Mobile has determined that unauthorized access to some of your information, or others on your account, has occurred, like name, address, phone number and DOB. Importantly, we have NO information that indicates your SSN, personal financial or payment information, credit/debit card information, account numbers, or account passwords were accessed. We take the protection of our customers seriously. Learn more about practices that keep your account secure and general recommendations for protecting yourself: t-mo.co/Protect

Reactions: 4sallypat

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 16, 2020

T-Mobile has determined that unauthorized access to some of your information, or others on your account, has occurred, like name, address, phone number and DOB. Importantly, we have NO information that indicates your SSN, personal financial or payment information, credit/debit card information, account numbers, or account passwords were accessed. We take the protection of our customers seriously. Learn more about practices that keep your account secure and general recommendations for protecting yourself: t-mo.co/Protect
Guess it's better to know, and I'm glad to see at least they're customizing the messages. They released an updated statement this morning here. The updated customers affected numbers and depth of data breached is unsettling.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Guess it's better to know, and I'm glad to see at least they're customizing the messages. They released an updated statement this morning here. The updated customers affected numbers and depth of data breached is unsettling.
I am glad to know that I was a small victim compared to other people who unfortunately, are now at more risk for identity theft.

Thank for the link.

Reactions: 0128672

jay968

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2019
California
When will the time come when these companies are held responsible for using systems which put consumers at risk?
Frankly 2 (or even a million) years of free monitoring is no resolution for the compromise of millions of user's personal data. Why are things like social security and driver's license numbers even stored on computers linked through the internet? A pen, piece of paper and filing cabinet would be more secure!

Steven-iphone

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2020
United States
Buy the phone outright.

Go prepaid, then you would not need a DL or Social Security # for credit check

And if you want, list the near by TMO store as the billing address on the account.

Using an email alias on the account also.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif

Same message from T-Mo.

Afraid it's commonplace nowadays - so many companies and government servers have been hacked lately.

All my cards monitor any activity on my credit profile (Discover, Amex, Cap 1, Barclays, etc) so I don't worry much.
Screenshot 2021-08-21 at 7.44.34 AM.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.