Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
This isn’t the LTE issue some are experiencing. My phone will randomly lose WiFi and go back to LTE, even when WiFi strength is good and I haven’t moved.

It’ll sometimes rejoin the network on its own, and sometimes not until I go into settings.

This happens at home and elsewhere, so I know it’s not my network. Also, my X never did this. I didn’t pay attention the first while with the phone, so I don’t know if it happened before this week, but now that I’ve noticed, I’m seeing it happen multiple times per hour!

I’m going to contact Apple, but I was curious if I was alone here.

Last edited:
Reactions: MareLuce

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
For me it seems the whole connection on WiFi sometimes get stuck. It's connected but data isn't moving. Toggling wifi on and off fixes this. I've had this happen on three different WiFi networks (work, client and home) so far. I've got an iPhone XS. I hope iOS 12.1 fixes this.

clarencek

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
Girlfriend is having the same problem. She has a XS. I’m not experiencing it on my Max.
We are on the same Wi-Fi network.

Reactions: Ntombi

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
As soon as iOS 12 came out my 8+ would disconnect and reconnect WiFi rapidly sometimes for a minute or more even sitting next to my router. This is after owning my 8+ since launch and having no problems until iOS 12.

Xs Max does same thing. Really annoying. Especially when trying to read watching it bounce between WiFi and lte. Because I have a vpn it is really noticeable.

I sure hope iOS 12.1 fixes this. Doesn’t happen all the time.

Reactions: Ntombi

masciam

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
For me it seems the whole connection on WiFi sometimes get stuck. It's connected but data isn't moving. Toggling wifi on and off fixes this. I've had this happen on three different WiFi networks (work, client and home) so far. I've got an iPhone XS. I hope iOS 12.1 fixes this.
Same thing happens to me, specially when it switches between the 5ghz and 2.4 ghz networks.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
problem persists even after 12.0.1 update
Call Apple tech support let them know that’s the only way we get this resolved

peejay1977

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2015
I'm on iOS 12.1 Developer Beta 3 on my XS Max and I have pretty constant WiFi problems, sadly, it's not fixed in this update, so far.

My wife's iPhone 8 has no such issues and neither did any of my previous iPhones.

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2010
Yep. I am seeing this. Visited this forum to see if it's my phone or my previously reliable Netgear Orbi.

This problem is sending my cellular data usage to new highs.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013

This happens on my non-cellular iPad Pro 10.5 too.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
I have an iPhone X and an iPad Pro 9.7. Since upgrading to iOS 12, I have seen this sporadically on both devices.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
What's funny is 12.0.1 made wifi worse for my Xs MAX and my wife. I don't have the LTE to WiFi switching happening anymore but now I get the constant: "You're not connected to the internet."

Reactions: MareLuce

Wayward

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2007
My Xs Max WiFi is consistently slower than my 10.5 iPad Pro and MacBook Pro. It often will show only 2 bars of WiFi instead of the full 3. Even in the Apple store, which is saturated with WiFi, it will drop a bar of WiFi.

But it passes Apple’s diagnostics, so they say it’s fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.