Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Not a single one for as far out as the schedule
Goes.

Great $29 offering haha

(Was considering getting a fresh one for my mid 80 percent capacity, 500 some odd charge 7+)

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
There’s only so many hours in a day and workers. Give it a couple weeks and it should be no issue.

I hope it evens out. But the replacement program could be busy as can be indefinitely theoretically. Lots of iPhones out there

I don’t really wanna go to an apppe store anyways but I wonder if doing walk In standby would be painless

That helped get a screen replacement on my
7+

HallStevenson

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2012
What's worse is people have scheduled appointments for battery replacements (since there's no longer any 'condition' that the battery must fall below), the system confirms everything, customer arrives at the store, still gets a run-around in some cases, then ends up being told "we don't have any batteries". That's inexcusable. Apple knows how many batteries a store has in inventory and if units are available when someone sets an appointment, a battery needs to be set aside for them.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
What's worse is people have scheduled appointments for battery replacements (since there's no longer any 'condition' that the battery must fall below), the system confirms everything, customer arrives at the store, still gets a run-around in some cases, then ends up being told "we don't have any batteries". That's inexcusable. Apple knows how many batteries a store has in inventory and if units are available when someone sets an appointment, a battery needs to be set aside for them.

Oh great so I might wait forever to talk with someone to pull up in their iPad they are out of
Stock? Lovely

Reactions: apolloa and 5pctoff

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Whoa, where did you hear that happening? If that’s what’s happening I’m glad I just decided to trade my 7 Plus in.

Edit, nevermind, I see the thread for it.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

My thoughts are the beginning of this is pretty chaotic and they weren’t doing that great with matching up supply with appointments and so on. I think this has probably improved already or will soon.

HallStevenson

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2012
I understand that part but any out-of-stock issues should, I hate to say it, apply to walk-in repair requests. Walk-ins can't always expect immediate service, that's why they do appointments. Their repair techs could be fully booked up with appointments that day so walk-ins know they're taking a chance of not having an opening.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Is there gonna be iPhone launch size lines for replacement batteries for the foreseeable
Future ?

$29 feels like a marketing thing if they aren’t gonna scale properly. Being able
To get a battery replacement albeit at $79 is that better than $29 and not being able
To? Idk

Sure it’s true 100 percent of people with appts are being taken care of in some fashion but what about all those that aren’t , that are just dealing?

mrcrlee

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2008
On Jan 1, my 6+ was scheduled for a replacement battery. As of today, the battery still hasn't arrived.

HallStevenson

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2012
At the nearby Apple store, next appointment for a battery replacement is on Saturday (6 days away). Best Buy has an opening in one hour and 5 minutes though. The next closest Apple store (30 miles away) has "no available reservations" at all. The next Apple store is the same - nothing available. The next Apple store after that does have openings next Sunday (one week away).

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It must be somewhat location dependent. In my area, there are multiple openings in my city. But those reservations can seemingly change within an hour.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
At the nearby Apple store, next appointment for a battery replacement is on Saturday (6 days away). Best Buy has an opening in one hour and 5 minutes though. The next closest Apple store (30 miles away) has "no available reservations" at all. The next Apple store is the same - nothing available. The next Apple store after that does have openings next Sunday (one week away).

I wouldn’t want Best Buy opening my
Phone. Apple certified or not

Reactions: Hal~9000

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I had an issue with my AirPods and the Apple chat agent told me that Best Buy could help me (similarly, they had availability when the Apple Store did not). I got to Best Buy and they told me they would have to send the AirPods out...to Apple. The guy told me that Apple basically has no idea what Best Buy can and cannot accomplish at Best Buy locations. So, while you can make an appointment there, they may not be able to help you.

cagleracing

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2018
I had an appointment with our local Apple Store today. After having me log out of Find My iPhone, and asking if I would give them my Apple ID password so that they could verify the new battery was good, they took my email address and phone number and said they didn't have any batteries yet and would contact me when the batteries arrive.

The obvious issues are:
1. Why did Apple offer the appointment time slot if they didn't have batteries at the store?
2. Why did I need to log out of Find My iPhone if they were not going to perform any work?
3. Why would Apple ever ask for someone's Apple ID password? Apple prides itself on honoring customer privacy. My financial information is on my iPhone, and I would never give my log-in information to anyone. They can check the battery while I'm present and can provide my password or fingerprint. There are some people who will give Apple their password out of trust, but Apple shouldn't be asking for it in the first place.

Reactions: jpn

HallStevenson

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2012
I wouldn’t want Best Buy opening my
Phone. Apple certified or not
Given the choice between an Apple store and BB, yeah, I'd pick the Apple store first. BB has to be okay to go to as well though if Apple has "certified" them. That alone will mean if they break something, it will be made right.

We've had our daughter's old phone, a 5s, repaired by an independent shop (CPR - Cell Phone Repair - they franchise stores around the country) and they did just fine. If they had broken something though, I don't know what recourse we would have had. I'm sure they'd do what they could to resolve it for us but at an Apple store or BB, in some cases, they will just go get a brand new phone off the shelf and hand it to you.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Not a single one for as far out as the schedule
Goes.

Great $29 offering haha

(Was considering getting a fresh one for my mid 80 percent capacity, 500 some odd charge 7+)

It is to be expected. Apple, I am sure is ramping up the production from it suppliers but it will take some time for them to catch up. Could be months before the supply catches up with the demand.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
It is to be expected. Apple, I am sure is ramping up the production from it suppliers but it will take some time for them to catch up. Could be months before the supply catches up with the demand.

Do u think supply is the ultimate problem of batteries or labor? Techs In the back with dedicated time to repair devices?

Matthew.H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2015
Norwich, UK
Do u think supply is the ultimate problem of batteries or labor? Techs In the back with dedicated time to repair devices?
It could well be a mixture of both. My 6S was part of the battery recall and I had to wait several days after my appointment for the store to get a battery. With all models from the 6 and up getting the $29 battery replacement price it doesn't surprise me at all that stores run out of battery stock. Also it's inevitable that with more repairs being booked in with the same number of techs in stores and repair centres customers may have to wait longer to get their devices serviced.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
No issues getting an appointment out in SoCal for an old 6s lying around. Was a three day wait, but got the reservation.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

There is no real answer to this. It depends where you are. Others have had no issues making reservations and having their battery exchanged. Other stores are heavily trafficked and reservations are consumed within minutes of an opening, With Battery stock being limited based on the iPhone 6 and other models qualifying.

Pnr2020

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2015
Uk
I had an appointment with our local Apple Store today. After having me log out of Find My iPhone, and asking if I would give them my Apple ID password so that they could verify the new battery was good, they took my email address and phone number and said they didn't have any batteries yet and would contact me when the batteries arrive.

The obvious issues are:
1. Why did Apple offer the appointment time slot if they didn't have batteries at the store?
2. Why did I need to log out of Find My iPhone if they were not going to perform any work?
3. Why would Apple ever ask for someone's Apple ID password? Apple prides itself on honoring customer privacy. My financial information is on my iPhone, and I would never give my log-in information to anyone. They can check the battery while I'm present and can provide my password or fingerprint. There are some people who will give Apple their password out of trust, but Apple shouldn't be asking for it in the first place.
I would never give anyone my password.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
If u had mid 500 charges and 86% capacity (said like 84-85 on iOS 10 somehow) would you get a replacement?

Capacity seems alright but I put. A lot of charges on it. I think it was from an incomplete jailbreak for so long working the battery overtime

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.