Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meteoreos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2016
Midlands, UK
I’ve had the iPhone XS since it was released back in 2018, but never really had the need to upgrade. But I like the look of the mini iPhones mainly due to their size.

Is anyone else looking to upgrade from their XS this year? If so, what are your reasons?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Still? I just bought mine this year. I don't see the need to have the latest phone. The XS is way faster than I need, the camera is still just as good as when it was new and the screen is superb.

I get to save money by buying used. Get an excellent product. Plus reduce ewaste by giving a used iPhone a second life rather than buying a new one. In a year or two I'll sell it to someone else. So, it keeps getting used. While moving onto a used iPhone 11 Pro or 12 Pro. Depending on how long I wait.

It costs about $75 a year to use two year old flagship iPhones. Which are still faster and better supported than most other new devices in their price range. Plus they depreciate at a slower pace.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Still? I just bought mine this year. I don't see the need to have the latest phone. The XS is way faster than I need, the camera is still just as good as when it was new and the screen is superb.

I get to save money by buying used. Get an excellent product. Plus reduce ewaste by giving a used iPhone a second life rather than buying a new one. In a year or two I'll sell it to someone else. So, it keeps getting used. While moving onto a used iPhone 11 Pro or 12 Pro. Depending on how long I wait.

It costs about $75 a year to use two year old flagship iPhones. Which are still faster and better supported than most other new devices in their price range. Plus they depreciate at a slower pace.

As a Dane, I often get the Impression that Americans swap their phones a lot and often have operator contracts with “trade-up” programs to hide the cost.

I have an iPhone 8, my dad has the original SE and my mum has the second gen SE. I’d way way way rather buy a new Mac than a new phone, but ey that’s just me.

Of course folk can prioritize their spending however they want, but this is just another comment in the pile of “There’s a lot of us out there who’re fine not having the latest phones. Some of us don’t even care so much about phones at all”

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
The pattern I've settled into is using an iPhone until the battery is shot, then getting the battery replaced and using it until it is shot once again. Will be doing that with my XS too.

I do think it's worth being on an iPhone X onwards (notch, no home button) because then you're on the "modern branch" of all the UI code/design, which is almost certainly what Apple puts more thought into.

Last edited:

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
I love my XS. I bought it new last September and I will buy a new iPhone this year only if Apple introduces the new mini with better battery. I love smaller iPhones but even the XS is a bit large for me. But it's just as fast for me as the latest iPhones and the camera is really good, so I really have no real reason to upgrade.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
As a Dane, I often get the Impression that Americans swap their phones a lot and often have operator contracts with “trade-up” programs to hide the cost.

I have an iPhone 8, my dad has the original SE and my mum has the second gen SE. I’d way way way rather buy a new Mac than a new phone, but ey that’s just me.

Of course folk can prioritize their spending however they want, but this is just another comment in the pile of “There’s a lot of us out there who’re fine not having the latest phones. Some of us don’t even care so much about phones at all”

Probably seems that way. As American movies and TV makes it seem that way. Plus this forum is heavily biased towards American tech enthusiasts. Many of whom are buying a new iPhone, new iPad and multiple Macs every year or two. Along with every other tech gadget Apple makes.

In my experience that's nowhere close to the norm. Of course I'm also mostly dealing with people who know nothing about tech. So, I'm likely seeing things skewed in the opposite direction.

Going by Statistica. There are 294.15m smartphone users in the US and 126.3m sold in 2020. That's at least a phone every 2.3 years.

I couldn't find the number of units sold per year in Denmark. But Apple commands about the same market share of phones in the US as Denmark around 50%.

Denmark also has a smartphone penetration rate of 86.62% and about 85% in the US.

As Denmark has a higher household income per capita than the US. I'd expect, given everything else. Danes buy new phones as regularly if not more frequently than Americans.

I got way more into this than I though I would.

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2021
I’ve had the iPhone XS since it was released back in 2018, but never really had the need to upgrade. But I like the look of the mini iPhones mainly due to their size.

Is anyone else looking to upgrade from their XS this year? If so, what are your reasons?
I got mine in April 2019 after swapping my 1 month old Samsung S10 with my brother for his iPhone XS that he got on launch in September 2018.

I’ve loved it ever since but, admittedly, I’ve treated it badly and now it’s deffo seen better days. Completely shattered glass back, minor scratches on front screen, and the battery could deffo be better. It’s well loved, shall we say.

I almost upgraded to the 12 in February of this year but held off. Saved money by moving to a sim-only contract. I’ll be buying the 13 Pro Max (fancy a big screen this time) when it comes out this year. I feel like having three years of updates (11 Pro, 12 Pro, 13 Pro) should amount to a good and noticeable upgrade!

meteoreos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2016
Midlands, UK
I got mine in April 2019 after swapping my 1 month old Samsung S10 with my brother for his iPhone XS that he got on launch in September 2018.

I’ve loved it ever since but, admittedly, I’ve treated it badly and now it’s deffo seen better days. Completely shattered glass back, minor scratches on front screen, and the battery could deffo be better. It’s well loved, shall we say.

I almost upgraded to the 12 in February of this year but held off. Saved money by moving to a sim-only contract. I’ll be buying the 13 Pro Max (fancy a big screen this time) when it comes out this year. I feel like having three years of updates (11 Pro, 12 Pro, 13 Pro) should amount to a good and noticeable upgrade!
I actually had my XS, which was purchased in 2018, replaced in November last year through Apple Care+ (shattered glass). I’ve since bought another Apple Care+ plan for the replacement they gave me, so I’m set until late 2022 at least.

You’ve all given great points for not upgrading and I agree with them. The only thing that was appealing to me was the smaller footprint of the mini, but I don’t think it’s worth it in the end.

Reactions: Saladin12

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
I used to feel the upgrade itch more quickly than I do with my XS. I love it and feel no need to replace it. My AppleCare is about to expire, so that means I've had it 2 years, right? Still in the bloom of initial love.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010

For me I have a Dell XPS 13 9310 with that 4K screen and for me I love it for my use case but ngl I use my phone for most of my uses so a newer phone would be more important then a new laptop in the next few years. Just my use case.

Reactions: grover5

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I had a Lease in an iPhone X and it was dumb to keep on paying lease payments on that in 2019. I found a good deal on a finance iPhone 11 Pro for the total cost of $849 in December 2019 so jumped on that. Was planning on keeping it for a while but needed to switch carriers so I got an iPhone 12 Pro and now since it has 5G with those C band frequencies I’m set to keep this one for a while. Probably keep this for 4 years

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I’m still using my X and plan on keeping it until it breaks or the battery is so bad it isn’t usable anymore. There are 0 features on the newer phones that I wish I had on mine.

I love taking photos and night mode is worth it imho. For me at least to get the 11.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I used to feel the upgrade itch more quickly than I do with my XS. I love it and feel no need to replace it. My AppleCare is about to expire, so that means I've had it 2 years, right? Still in the bloom of initial love.

I felt that way with Android. Less so with iPhones.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
For me I have a Dell XPS 13 9310 with that 4K screen and for me I love it for my use case but ngl I use my phone for most of my uses so a newer phone would be more important then a new laptop in the next few years. Just my use case.
Sure. Everyone's needs and priorities are different. I use my phone to check the weather, call and send texts. That's about it. I use my Macs (desktop, laptop) for code, reading, games, films, video lectures, video editing, photo editing, hobby-music production - Macs are my hobby and my profession in that sense. And then my iPad is for all the iOS entertainment stuff I need, no phone used for that either. And my watch takes over a lot of smaller "just check x" tasks as well so I can go days without looking at my phone at all

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Sure. Everyone's needs and priorities are different. I use my phone to check the weather, call and send texts. That's about it. I use my Macs (desktop, laptop) for code, reading, games, films, video lectures, video editing, photo editing, hobby-music production - Macs are my hobby and my profession in that sense. And then my iPad is for all the iOS entertainment stuff I need, no phone used for that either. And my watch takes over a lot of smaller "just check x" tasks as well so I can go days without looking at my phone at all

Yeah I had a 1st iPad Pro 11 and tbh I rarely used it. I got it for entertainment and other uses but never used it. Preferred my iPhone or laptop

tonie walker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2020
worldwide
Still using mine, had the battery replaced last year for free. Tried the iphone 12 pro max, i can’t justify upgrading so i still settle to my xs.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Similar to me. I use iPad way more often than my iPhone nowadays, I sometimes miss notifications from my phone altogether until late night, whereas I can deal with notifications on iPad quick enough. I use windows PC cause tons of stuff on that and I can’t afford to leave Windows. Apple Watch perfectly gets those tiny bit covered so if iPad can manage Apple Watch and make phone call, I’d ditch iPhone completely.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I was going to hold on to mine until this year's device, but I screwed things up. I broke the screen when I slipped while hiking. I replaced it with an iFixit screen and that turned out to be a huge mistake. Horrible color quality. I should have paid the $329 for Apple to do it. Instead I sold the phone on eBay and bought myself a gently used 11 Pro Max. Selling the old phone and buying the 11 Pro Max was $450, and then I bought AC+, so it's a $650 "upgrade"

I only "upgraded" because I went from 256GB to 512GB, and it will be supported for at least 1 more year longer than the XS Max. Depending on what this year's model brings I might skip it as well.

The XS is a perfectly capable phone.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

prithvi64

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2017

I am also using since 2018. No issue as such but facing call quality issue. sometime, it is not even audible. initially, I thought, it was because of ios 14 but now, after updating to ios 15, continuing same problem.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I prolly will only upgrade my iPhone when it is broken somehow. XS for regular stuff is plentiful powerful. And no, iPhone is a terrible device for demanding games anyways. Use iPad to play demanding games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.