Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlackJacques

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2010
Hear me out first.

With loud and clear rumors the 14 will still use the A15, possibly be delayed, go up in price by $100, wouldn't a discounted 13 Pro Max from a 3rd party retailer like Best Buy, at 14 launch day or earlier, be the better buy?

Between the two, the 14 Max will be slower, have 60Hz refresh vs 120Hz, probably have inferior cameras, same notch, perhaps better battery life due to less cores, if a discounted 13 Pro Max is only $100 more or even priced with a 14 Max, isn't this a no-brainer? (Not a rhetorical question)

This in spite of the fact that some analysts think the 14 Max will be the most popular model.

Last edited:
Reactions: GalileoSeven

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Hear me out first.

With loud and clear rumors the 14 will still use the A15, possibly be delayed, go up in price by $100, wouldn't a discounted 13 Pro Max, at 14 launch day or earlier, be the better buy?

Between the two, the 14 Max will be slower, have 60Hz refresh vs 120Hz, probably have inferior cameras, same notch, perhaps better battery life due to less cores, if a discounted 13 Pro Max is only $100 more or even priced with a 14 Max, isn't this a no-brainer? (Not a rhetorical question)

This in spite of the fact that some analysts think the 14 Max will be the most popular model.
I'm predicting that the iPhone 14 Max will be a huge seller, the next second coming since the release of the iPhone 6 Plus. Base price will be $899, and for the first time, people can buy a max iPhone for less than $1000.

Why not the 13 Pro Max?
First, Apple never keep the Pro iPhones. They always discontinue them. Why? To keep the perception of value of the Pro models high (and maintain the ASP/margin). That way consumers will accept that the Pro iPhones is the $1000+ iPhones. It will never be lower than $1000. Distinct positioning of the model. Same with the rest of Apple products. Macbook Pro will never be cheaper than Macbook Air (starting prices), and iPad Pros will never be cheaper than the regular iPads.

Besides, I'm also predicting a price increase of the iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max by $100. iPhone 14 Pro for $1099, and iPhone 14 Pro Max for $1199. For the typical consumer, the $899 iPhone 14 Max will be a great deal, having the largest iPhone for $300 less.

Do note that the typical iPhone consumer won't care about refresh rate nor specifications. All they see is the largest iPhone for less, finally.

4th quarter of 2022 will be another record breaking revenue for Apple.

BlackJacques

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2010
I'm predicting that the iPhone 14 Max will be a huge seller, the next second coming since the release of the iPhone 6 Plus. Base price will be $899, and for the first time, people can buy a max iPhone for less than $1000.

Why not the 13 Pro Max?
First, Apple never keep the Pro iPhones. They always discontinue them. Why? To keep the perception of value of the Pro models high (and maintain the ASP/margin). That way consumers will accept that the Pro iPhones is the $1000+ iPhones. It will never be lower than $1000. Distinct positioning of the model. Same with the rest of Apple products. Macbook Pro will never be cheaper than Macbook Air (starting prices), and iPad Pros will never be cheaper than the regular iPads.

Besides, I'm also predicting a price increase of the iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max by $100. iPhone 14 Pro for $1099, and iPhone 14 Pro Max for $1199. For the typical consumer, the $899 iPhone 14 Max will be a great deal, having the largest iPhone for $300 less.

Do note that the typical iPhone consumer won't care about refresh rate nor specifications. All they see is the largest iPhone for less, finally.

4th quarter of 2022 will be another record breaking revenue for Apple.
I should have been more clear in my original post, compared with buying a 13 Pro Max from a 3rd party retailer like Best Buy, not direct from Apple. They usually still have plenty of last year's model on the new model launch day and adjust their prices to undercut the current model's price. Edited my original post.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I should have been more clear in my original post, compared with buying a 13 Pro Max from a 3rd party retailer like Best Buy, not direct from Apple. They usually still have plenty of last year's model on the new model launch day and adjust their prices to undercut the current model's price. Edited my original post.
But the stock will not always be there, it will only be as supplies last. A few weeks/months in, you may or may not be able to find a complete selection of 13 Pro Max in all colors and sizes anywhere. In the end, for the typical consumer going into Apple website/Apple store, they won't see 13 Pro Max being offered anymore after the iPhone 14 announcement.

And even then, you have to consider the mindset of a typical iPhone buyer. Again, specs are not what they would see. A typical consumer will see the number 14. 14 is > than 13, and 14 is newer. Simple. And brand new at $899? The 14 Max will win out most customers.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
1) iPhone 14 Max should be significantly lighter than iPhone 13 Pro Max

2) iPhone 14 Max allegedly has much better front camera than any iPhone 13 model

3) I am sure there are other enhancements in the 14 line in general over the 13 like that haven’t been leaked

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
Perhaps. There are always differences between the previous model and the current model. In addition, the previous model will have, arguably, one less year of useful life. The question then becomes does the price savings ($100?) compensate for the difference in features/life? Considering the same question could be argued nearly every year, iPhone 12Max vs 13Max, it seems that are enough people that find paying the price for the current model is worth it.
And then there are people like me that continues to use an iPhone 7+. I am, finally, looking to upgrade this year and will likely get the 14 Pro Max. (or should I wait for USBC next year?)

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
The 14 Max will definitely sell very well, its what the mainstream want, the largest screen possible regular priced iphone variant. Its sad to see my beloved Mini go, but it was nice while it lasted.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Always on display. People will always look for something to distinguish themselves from the previous model.

Your argument about 13 Pro Max is akin to suggesting buying something from Craigslist is cheaper than retail. It doesn’t make sense for 98% of consumers.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
"Even though the worst days of lockdowns are thankfully behind us, 2022 has been a tough year on many fronts. Economic uncertainties, the war in Ukraine, and supply-side issues are expected to weigh on phone production. Apple is also expected to produce fewer iPhones than analysts had predicted, and while some of that could be chalked down to the aforementioned exterior factors, some of it comes down to the fact that iPhone 14 will not be a significant upgrade over the iPhone 13."

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
If I walk up to someone holding an Android phone, point at it and ask “Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1?” most will have no clue what I’m talking about, and more importantly, won’t care. I’m one of those who compares specs on everything and agonizes over every purchase decision, but most of the world doesn’t live in that bubble. They’ll buy the 14 PM by the millions, carried-over/barely updated tech or not.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Always on display. People will always look for something to distinguish themselves from the previous model.

Your argument about 13 Pro Max is akin to suggesting buying something from Craigslist is cheaper than retail. It doesn’t make sense for 98% of consumers.
The always on display, if indeed real, will most certainly be limited to the Pro Line. I don't see them adding adaptive refresh rate or promotion to the non-pro iPhones.

It is looking like the iPhone 14 Max will be an inferior version of the iPhone 13 Pro Max

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The always on display, if indeed real, will most certainly be limited to the Pro Line. I don't see them adding adaptive refresh rate or promotion to the non-pro iPhones.

It is looking like the iPhone 14 Max will be an inferior version of the iPhone 13 Pro Max

Dropping the refresh rate on the lock screen is relatively simple. Apple has done something similar on 9.7-inch iPad Pro back in 2016, before the introduction of ProMotion. We've seen AOD on many Android smartphones, with and without fancy LTPO displays. The iPhone 14 Pro will already have a new form factor and cameras which will be easily recognizable. No need to ration the feature for iPhone 14.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
If one of the 14 models has direct phone to satellite communication for emergency text messaging- that’s ground breaking.

Ground broken.

(I get you mean incorporated into a regular smartphone, but having used a Garmin InReach, the way they're built for the back country + their battery life measured in weeks makes them a much better choice as a critical/emergency communicator than a smartphone, with its relative weaknesses in build and battery life. Put another way, a dedicated emergency communicator is built to be depended on, a smartphone is not.)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Naturally. Any thread discussing doing something optimal ignores people who make sub optimal decisions.
While they may be sub-optimal decisions, it makes me happy to get what I want. If optimal decisions and only getting what you need instead of what you actually want makes you happy then that's great.

We're both happy.

Reactions: AlexMac89

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Why buy the XR for $749 when X will drop to $899?

Cool, the XR turned out to be the best selling smartphone in the world for 2019.

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
There will most likely be a feature or two that are better than all 13 series, making it a bit less cut and dry than a 13 PM just outright being better all the way around.

That’s not to say the 13 PM discounted would be a great choice for many (pro motion et. al.) over the 14 Max

Reactions: BluefinTuna

golftime

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2013
Northeast
Absolutely not. I have held onto my 7 plus waiting for the notch to go, and it will be gone in the 14 pros. In addition, there have been rumors of both screen based fingerprint reader and facial recognition which would give it the best of both worlds. Flush cameras are icing on the cake. I am looking forward to it.

Reactions: Student of Life

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Definitely no need - but that’s the Apple way.

AOD would be one simple way to differentiate the iPhone 14 from 13. It's a free feature for Apple. Those who want the thinner bezels, pill/hole, A16, and cameras will still buy the Pro.

Apple obviously won't delete the iPhone 13 lineup, so consumers will still continue to compare iPhone 13 with 14.

Consumers would effectively be paying $100 for AOD and 6GB RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.