Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aspyred

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2020
My heart says gold, but my brain says silver - anyone else feel the same?

Why Silver?
  • It is the ONLY Pro color to seemingly have a polished stainless steel without PVD coating - in my thinking, it means it will be easily polishable with Cape Cod polishing cloths, especially if I intend to have the phone for a while (and I do)
Why Gold?
  • Allegedly, reports say gold has a higher resistance to fingerprints and a slightly different PVD coating
  • Looks great this year, screams 'premium' yet is a more subtle champagne color
In my area, gold and silver are the most in-demand with blue and black trailing. Are any of you stuck between silver and gold too? If you've decided on one, how did you arrive at this conclusion?

Reactions: Photography

SHKLMRE

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
Pennsylvania
I originally was set on pacific blue. But I currently have a midnight green pro max and I enjoyed the color but was upset at how it did not pop in real life, it’s pretty dark. And upon seeing photos I felt like the pacific blue was going to be similar, as it would only look best in certain color conditions. THEN I was a fan of the new gold band, so I figured gold but the light color of the back is sort of throwing me off. So I figured I might as well go back to silver, which is bright and looks quite nice. I switch colors every year and my last silver/white iPhone was the iPhone X in 2017 and I did enjoy the plain stainless steel band.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
My heart says gold, but my brain says silver - anyone else feel the same?

Why Silver?
  • It is the ONLY Pro color to seemingly have a polished stainless steel without PVD coating - in my thinking, it means it will be easily polishable with Cape Cod polishing cloths, especially if I intend to have the phone for a while (and I do)
Why Gold?
  • Allegedly, reports say gold has a higher resistance to fingerprints and a slightly different PVD coating
  • Looks great this year, screams 'premium' yet is a more subtle champagne color
In my area, gold and silver are the most in-demand with blue and black trailing. Are any of you stuck between silver and gold too? If you've decided on one, how did you arrive at this conclusion?
In the Keynote they said that all the iPhone 12 Pro colors will have PVD coating on it this year. That would mean that you can't polish it as before.

Reactions: Aspyred

valinda

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA
Yes, I had hard time between the silver & gold 11 pro max. This was before COVID. I purchased the gold, then went back a week later to get the silver. This year the gold looks the same on back, but the edges look like a real gold color. If I was buying one this year, it would be between the gold and blue.

Bstephens

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2010
Yeah the 11 pro gold looks too copper toned. The 12 pro is the best looking gold so far.

Aspyred

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2020
In the Keynote they said that all the iPhone 12 Pro colors will have PVD coating on it this year. That would mean that you can't polish it as before.

Do you think that if the silver PVD scratches, maybe it'll blend in better with the underlying layer? I feel like that might be the case and less true for blue, gold and black.

In your experience and also with the older iPhones, what do you think? I know we won't know for sure until people do more testing but I'm looking to pick up the phone as soon as I can too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.