Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is there room for a new iPhone mini/SE?

• Yes

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • No

Votes: 17 47.2%

• Total voters

Nic727

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2017
I’m very disappointed Apple decided to go all big for the new generation of iPhone.

I have an iPhone 8, I love Touch ID (I wish they could find a way to bring that back in some ways) and it’s small enough that it can fit anywhere.

I don’t need 4 lenses, I have s camera for that and I don’t need a tablet either.

Am I the only one who want Apple to make a small useful iPhone again? What about removing SIM cards too and working only with e-SIM?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You are not alone. There are plenty of MR users who like the Mini or that size phone. I am not one of them, but they are here.

Collectively though, all of you Mini users were/are too small of a market segment for Apple to continuously produce one style of phone just for you.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
What about removing SIM cards too and working only with e-SIM?

It's another point of debate. For a second year, Apple has done nothing with the space on the logic board. Last year, they replaced the slot with a plastic spacer. This year, Apple relaxed the component density to fill the area. It feels like a cost saving measure, similar to removal of headphone jack and the associated DAC.

SusieS

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2018
I toyed with getting a 15 Plus but chickened out and got a regular 15, and it’s plenty big enough. I carry my phone in the cargo pocket of my pants when I go walking, so I can listen to podcasts, and I have to keep hiking the waistband up because the phone is dragging it down. 😳 I have fond memories of my little old 4.6” Droid Incredible phone, with its light weight and replaceable battery, but otherwise a neanderthal by today‘s standards. I wish Apple could squeeze all the modern tech goodies into a smaller package.

Ive seen rumors that the Pros will be even bigger next year…6.3” and 6.9”. Where does it end?

IMG_2457.jpeg

Last edited:

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
Like the iPad Mini, the iPhone Mini has a vocal backing of fans, but the sales numbers just didn't add up.
Sales number is the key on every company to survive and grow. So, regardless how vocal or strong a product fans is, if the product profit by sales not supporting the company threshold or expectation, sooner or later, it will be discontinued, at least per my experience working in Finance at a global manufacturing company. For iPad mini, we will see how Apple will handle this in the long run. If its low sales and profit numbers are tolerable by Apple Executives, and the market lost due to discontinuation if it discontinued impacts the overall profit by product, Apple will continue producing and updating it although may not be often as other more profitable products. If not, its fate will be the same as iPhone mini. We shall see.

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
I’m very disappointed Apple decided to go all big for the new generation of iPhone.

I have an iPhone 8, I love Touch ID (I wish they could find a way to bring that back in some ways) and it’s small enough that it can fit anywhere.

I don’t need 4 lenses, I have s camera for that and I don’t need a tablet either.

Am I the only one who want Apple to make a small useful iPhone again? What about removing SIM cards too and working only with e-SIM?

iPhone SE is the phone for you then… or a refurb mini from Apple.

Mini didn’t sell well, lots of people said they would buy one and when it came to it, it seems they didn’t. For example, Apple made the small useful phone… and you didn’t buy it.

And removing the SIM card can only be an option when all markets have e-sim availability, something that is at least a few years off still.

Nic727

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2017
iPhone SE is the phone for you then… or a refurb mini from Apple.

Mini didn’t sell well, lots of people said they would buy one and when it came to it, it seems they didn’t. For example, Apple made the small useful phone… and you didn’t buy it.

And removing the SIM card can only be an option when all markets have e-sim availability, something that is at least a few years off still.
Well… not everyone buy a new iPhone each year. Now that my 8 doesn’t support IOS 17, I’m actually thinking of changing next year or so. But if there is no small option, I will just buy the latest mini.

mehdijobs

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2014
I think iPhones mini (small) and iPhoneSE (less expensive) are two different concerns. While there is some overlap, they are primarily different motivations.
exactly - and too many times people mix the iPhone mini with the SE.
I would gladly pay a premium for a mini. When I say I want a mini, I'm not necessarily saying I want a cheaper, or I want sub performances.
Give me a 5.4inch 120hz iPhone with Titanium :)

Reactions: Nic727 and Chuckeee

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
I have a few friends who have the 13 mini and are holding on with a tight grip! For a giant company like Apple it isn't just a matter of putting the guts in a smaller form factor - there is so much more cost involved it's mind blowing. The bean counters know that the market just isn't there for it unfortunately...

Reactions: Chuckeee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.