Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macintosh101

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2017
I’m having to return and exchange my new Mini due to the “jelly scroll” issue, but is anyone else’s new Mini getting very warm / hot?

Mine was set up on Friday and so should have had enough time to index everything etc, but it gets very warm and hot on the side where the Apple Pencil connector is (right hand side when in portrait). This when doing light browsing on Safari. Just wondering if anyone else had the issue?

ipaqowner

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2006
Yes, me too using Safari this afternoon.
I power-cycled it and that seemed to fix it but it's happening again right as I type this.

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
My iPhone has also started becoming hot in certain spots since updating to iOS 15. Wondering if the Minis heat problems is based on the OS.

Reactions: leperry

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
I’d suspect a software issue rather than the Mini 6 at this point.

A relative’s Mini 5 is fine on 14.7.something, 14.8 runs hot and pretty much halved my battery. Haven’t seen any evidence that 15 will solve it yet. There have been other posts about 14.8 running hot.

Poppleropples

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2009
Not sure when peoples devices are getting warm - But there is something on this forum that is absolutely caning my devices. Just picked up an iPhone 13 and 9th gen iPad, they both work perfectly, however 5 minutes on this forum and they are really really hot. Same for my old XR I’ve just tested, and it’s just on the forum here. I’ve seen some other threads suggest there’s an issue with the ads that are displayed on the forum? Anyway, hope it helps.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
I have found it warm just listening to podcasts, but admittedly the problem does seem to be greater on this forum. I’ll try not to come on here with it for a while and see what happens.

I’ll also try my Samsung S9 here and report back.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Make sure it’s not this stinking site. Every time I use MR, my iPad M1 heats up like crazy. It’s been going on for at least 3-4 months and site operator has no clue as to why. If it heats up especially when visiting this site, close this site and try browsing other sites to help narrow down the issue.

Macintosh101

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2017
Not sure when peoples devices are getting warm - But there is something on this forum that is absolutely caning my devices. Just picked up an iPhone 13 and 9th gen iPad, they both work perfectly, however 5 minutes on this forum and they are really really hot. Same for my old XR I’ve just tested, and it’s just on the forum here. I’ve seen some other threads suggest there’s an issue with the ads that are displayed on the forum? Anyway, hope it helps.
Yes I agree this forum does seem to really warm up my device.

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
Same here as others have said.

Bottom right is warm as I type this. But I’ve been on the mini all weekend and it only shows up sometimes……

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
Install an ad blocker. Both my iPhone and mini would get really warm in safari, especially on this site. Sorry MR! Other sites that has ads would warm up my devices. iOS 15 with an ad blocking extension solved that.

Macintosh101

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2017
Install an ad blocker. Both my iPhone and mini would get really warm in safari, especially on this site. Sorry MR! Other sites that has ads would warm up my devices. iOS 15 with an ad blocking extension solved that.
I have an ad blocker installed, but the issue persists for me.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
So far my Mini 5 is doing better but not great with no Macrumours as compared to OS13.7, and while it hits my S9 battery it's not so drastic on here as on the Mini.

Warrior_guy

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2022
For this forum's I'm using another smartphone. It get warm after 5 mins of gaming and after another 5 mins it gets uncomfortable. I had mini 5 before but this never happened with that model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.